By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop drops 3DS price to $150 right before Vita launch, is this going to happen everywhere?

Gamestop: location of core gamer customers.

Amazon, walmart, beat buy: generally casual.

I.e. this is targeting the core, Vita's main targetbase.
Highly tactical move, this would also explain cpp (circle pad pro) being gamestop only. It's a core gamer's peripheral, or at least certainly not a casual gamer's peripheral.

Good Job Ninty, sorry Vita :S this isn't the kind of competition I'm for (killing off your rivals), but very aggressive move by Nintendo. By the looks of it, they are very serious this gen, and aggressively fending off their competition. For that, I say bravo, and it was about time.

So much for PR, so much for Reggie's "we don't worry about the competition". It was all a snag some of us fell for. ;)

Around the Network
Panama said:
Starting to think Nintendo launching it at $250 was a tactic all along to trick people into thinking the drop to $170 was incredible. The fact it's going to be profitable by April only backs this up.

Nah, Nintendo really believed they were going to have a similar situation to the Wii on their hands when the 3DS launched, expecting it to sell like gangbusters based on word of mouth and being a must-have item that simply wouldn't stay stocked on shelves for very long.

Of course, they miscalculated badly (and were more than a little greedy in my book).  Had they held it back to say the summer when more software was ready for it, they could have launched it at $199 and still made a pretty penny off it, instead of being forced to slash prices so deep just to keep the things from collecting dust on store shelves and making themselves look like fools in the process.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Damn Nintendo is getting desperate, 2 major price cuts within a year?

Pretty soon they'll be giving away these things.

Tempted to buy one... but I have too much play already.

Frankly I don't think the Vita is any real competition. At least not until a significant price cut.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Next thing, people will stop buying 3DS, waiting for the next price cut that's surely going to arrive...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Damn Nintendo is getting desperate, 2 major price cuts within a year?

Pretty soon they'll be giving away these things.

This isn't a price cut, this is a deal by Gamestop. They did the same thing in December

Amazing that you can buy a brand new 3DS for $149.99, when less than a Year ago it launched at $250.

I doubt it's an official, permanent price cut of $20.

Don't know why Nintendo is so scared. Are Vita pre-orders really high or something?

Nintendo is d0m3D?