By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo get Grand Theft Auto V?

Tagged games:

Chances of GTA V coming to the Wii U at the same time as PS3 and 360?

100% 93 33.33%

50% 108 38.71%

25% 77 27.60%

Total:278
Viper1 said:

So the debate point against is simply that X360/PS3 owners will already buy it on their respective console?

What about Wii U owners that don't have a PS3/X360?
What about Wii U owners that do have a PS3/X360 but want the enhanced experience found on the Wii U version?

What about the fact that Ninja Gaiden 3, Metro :Last Light, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Batman: Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Darksiders II and others are also in development by 3rd parties? Are you just going to claim that 3rd parties shouldn't bother because they are already coming/on the PS3/X360?

What about the easy ROI factor? 250k units would likely cover the porting costs. Anything above breaking even is cost amortization which every developer would love to do.

Me personally don't argue AGAINST porting games to WiiU - even if it sounds like it at times. I'm merely trying to see it from the developers point of view. I'm just not sure if there will be a big enough number of sold WiiU's out there that's also's gonna buy GTA5.

The more games they port to WiiU the happier I am! Out of all those u named I'm just excited about Batman for now, but I wanna see massive 3rd party support for WiiU - and that means GTA as well, but I'm not too sure Rock* is going to port it...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Viper1 said:

So the debate point against is simply that X360/PS3 owners will already buy it on their respective console?

What about Wii U owners that do have a PS3/X360 but want the enhanced experience found on the Wii U version?

What about the fact that Ninja Gaiden 3, Metro :Last Light, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Batman: Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Darksiders II and others are also in development by 3rd parties? Are you just going to claim that 3rd parties shouldn't bother because they are already coming/on the PS3/X360?

What about the easy ROI factor? 250k units would likely cover the porting costs. Anything above breaking even is cost amortization which every developer would love to do.

Me personally don't argue AGAINST porting games to WiiU - even if it sounds like it at times. I'm merely trying to see it from the developers point of view. I'm just not sure if there will be a big enough number of sold WiiU's out there that's also's gonna buy GTA5.

The more games they port to WiiU the happier I am! Out of all those u named I'm just excited about Batman for now, but I wanna see massive 3rd party support for WiiU - and that means GTA as well, but I'm not too sure Rock* is going to port it...

Danne, I find your best point here is this, and you bring up a good one:

that the game COULD sell 1-2m units on the WiiU. Does this justify a port? I don't know... GTA in itself is a brand that has to be taken care of. would R* port it to WiiU if it risked tanking?? That would hurt the very name GTA, no? 

But the question can be asked in return. Did Activision lose prestige in its COD brands by porting it to the Wii. Mmmm, I would say no. Did they make money? Hell yes.

I think it follows pretty much the same pattern here. Matter of fact, COD on Wii actually sold better from launch to now. Shows how much of the potential market was hogged away from Nintendo, but that's N's fault I'll be the first to admit. It's their fault to have omitted at least basic HD graphics on their Wii, but that's subject for another debate. In the meantime, Danne, here are the COD sales on Wii you'll find them very interesting:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Call of Duty 3 Wii 2006 Shooter Activision 1.10 0.81 0.00 0.22 2.14
2 Call of Duty: World at War Wii 2008 Shooter Activision 1.12 0.54 0.00 0.18 1.84
3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition Wii 2009 Shooter Activision 0.91 0.38 0.00 0.14 1.43
4 Call of Duty: Black Ops Wii 2010 Shooter Activision 0.69 0.36 0.00 0.12 1.16
5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Wii 2011 Shooter Activision 0.25 0.12 0.00 0.04 0.42
Total4.072.220.000.706.99

It actually goes down EXACTLY release upon release. Sad, but surprisingly true, despite the Wii's userbase going as follows:

PlatformYearGlobal
Wii 2006 2,954,781
Wii 2007 19,508,070
Wii 2008 43,696,333
Wii 2009 64,991,750
Wii 2010 82,470,187
Wii 2011 94,316,788

Despite the COD growing and breaking records year over year. These numbers prove the power of:

Time (legs)

Marketing (Microsoft and Sony focused, though more MS)

Word of mouth

Consumer satisfaction (or possibly in this case dissatisfaction, and preference of competitor offerings)

I think the chances are very slim indeed. Even 25% seems like a stretch.

Train wreck said:
z101 said:

That the Wii U will get GTA5 is obvious. All the developers praise the Wii U-Devkits and how easy it is to port PS360 games to Wii U.

Even the DS got a GTA-Game and it sold better than the PSP-Version. So will Rockband pass 1-2 Million safe GTA5 sales on Wii U, even in the Launch-Phase? Obviously not. And Nintendo and Rockband showed some love when they presented the DS-GTA.

Rockstar not Rockband.

The gap between the two games (even with the DS version launching 7 months prior and on a system that had what 2-3x the userbase) is within 250k.  I wouldnt be ringing the bell on making that my core arguement to have a Wii U version. 

That is more proof that Chinatown Wars was a game of limited appeal more so than anything else

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

happydolphin said:

It definitely destroys the R* can't sell games on Nintendo consoles argument.

VIPER!!!! You're BACK! :D   (this is padib by the way)

Thanks.  It's good to be back. 

DanneSandin said:
Viper1 said:

From a developer point of view, it is still more beneficial to amortize your costs across a smany platforms as you can provided the costs are less than the return. 
As I noted, even just 250,000 sales (I can break that down if you want me to) would likely cover the costs of porting the game over and I fail to see how the game would not garner at least 250,000 sales on Wii U.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
oniyide said

I think your overestimating the NINTY fan and when i say fan im talking the zeolots who will ONLY buy NINTY products, there isnt that much of them out there as you think IMHO. ANd the WIi U will still just be out, could it sell a million?? possible 2 mil??  unlikely five mil?? Hell no. Keep in mind im not dont port, im sayign they should

I think your wrong on not admitting the entire tablet craze that is going on throughout the world.  I believe if marketed right Nintendo can ride to the top with the help of having a tablet like controller able to do many things that a basic controller can't do.  At first I was like bleh... that might be alright when I was first exposed to it.  I am decently impressed after watching a few Nintendo demo videos on what they are thinking of implementing for the controller.  I see the future and the future is Nintendo on top again.

When the DS launched touch controls were labeled as fad (now you have almost all phones being touch phones).  When the Wii launced motions controls were labeled as a fad (now you have all 3 with motion controls).  Tablets are already a fad before the Wii U launches so how can you not say it won't be a success if marketed right, has a good price point, and great games. 

I know you are talking about Nintendo fans buying GTV for a Nintendo system.  I am just stating that the Wii U will have a large install base.  It might not top the Wii but it won't be like PS2 - PS3.  I had to use someone's quote to go off on a rant about why their next system will actually sell and that third parties need to get their heads out of their asses.

I was sold on the tablet idea from day 1. Its not about, that even if it is as big as WII, there will be no gaurantee that a GTA5 for that system will do gangbusters, core games dont do gangbusters on WII

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

I was sold on the tablet idea from day 1. Its not about, that even if it is as big as WII, there will be no gaurantee that a GTA5 for that system will do gangbusters, core games dont do gangbusters on WII

Well, if Super Mario Galaxy selling ten million copies isn't doing gangbusters, then I guess core games don't sell well on any system.

But all kidding aside, the term you are looking for is probably "hardcore" (defined as everything that is normally not associated with a Nintendo system) or more specifically "dudebro games".

true, i wasnt referring to the Galaxies, becasue that is first party, I should have been clearer and said the 3rd parties

IMO it all comes down to Nintendo's online service, since I'm expecting GTAV to have a very significant online component, whether it be multiplayer or some type of co-op.

I don't expect it right at launch though, if the game does in fact come out in 2012. I'd expect them to hold it back till early 2013 to make sure the Wii U's online infrastructure is fully functional... and let's face it, despite how awesome it would be to have GTAV as a potential Wii U launch title, I doubt Nintendo wants a game like that to overshadow its own software and become the marquee killer app for the Wii U.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Yes, they could, and most likely will.

Rockstar was one of the 3rd parties specifically courted by Nintendo for WiiU development, it's a very easy console to port/develop for, and the game is almost guaranteed to sell over 1m copies with decent advertising, which is more than enough to recoup the dev cost (not to mention possible incentives from Nintendo, as they'd really like to have it).

It's almost certain it'll be there.

happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:
Viper1 said:

Danne, I find your best point here is this, and you bring up a good one:

that the game COULD sell 1-2m units on the WiiU. Does this justify a port? I don't know... GTA in itself is a brand that has to be taken care of. would R* port it to WiiU if it risked tanking?? That would hurt the very name GTA, no? 

But the question can be asked in return. Did Activision lose prestige in its COD brands by porting it to the Wii. Mmmm, I would say no. Did they make money? Hell yes.

I think it follows pretty much the same pattern here. Matter of fact, COD on Wii actually sold better from launch to now. Shows how much of the potential market was hogged away from Nintendo, but that's N's fault I'll be the first to admit. It's their fault to have omitted at least basic HD graphics on their Wii, but that's subject for another debate. In the meantime, Danne, here are the COD sales on Wii you'll find them very interesting:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Call of Duty 3 Wii 2006 Shooter Activision 1.10 0.81 0.00 0.22 2.14
2 Call of Duty: World at War Wii 2008 Shooter Activision 1.12 0.54 0.00 0.18 1.84
3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition Wii 2009 Shooter Activision 0.91 0.38 0.00 0.14 1.43
4 Call of Duty: Black Ops Wii 2010 Shooter Activision 0.69 0.36 0.00 0.12 1.16
5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Wii 2011 Shooter Activision 0.25 0.12 0.00 0.04 0.42
Total4.072.220.000.706.99

It actually goes down EXACTLY release upon release. Sad, but surprisingly true, despite the Wii's userbase going as follows:

PlatformYearGlobal
Wii 2006 2,954,781
Wii 2007 19,508,070
Wii 2008 43,696,333
Wii 2009 64,991,750
Wii 2010 82,470,187
Wii 2011 94,316,788

Despite the COD growing and breaking records year over year. These numbers prove the power of:

Time (legs)

Marketing (Microsoft and Sony focused, though more MS)

Word of mouth

Consumer satisfaction (or possibly in this case dissatisfaction, and preference of competitor offerings)

As you can see CoD only sold less and less - but they did make a profit for Activion, yes. But how come Rock* didn't port the game then, if it almost definitely would make a profit? Especially if Nintendo wanted R* as a 3rd party partner...

@Viper1 I guess this question/statement is directed to you as well...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.