By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo get Grand Theft Auto V?

Tagged games:

Chances of GTA V coming to the Wii U at the same time as PS3 and 360?

100% 93 33.33%

50% 108 38.71%

25% 77 27.60%

Total:278
HappySqurriel said:
oniyide said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:
But it all comes down to whom is buying WiiU! If it's only families that's buying it, why release GTA5 on it? Rockstar wouldn't do it cuz noone would get it... It's all about the demogrphics

Because families never include boys/men between the ages of 13 and 40?

Well, if most WiiU's is purchased by mom's in their 40's, would it be a smart idea for Rockstar to port GTA to it? No it wouldn't. Now I know there won't be only 40 year old moms buying the system, but I gotta keep in mind the demographics! would the people that bought the WiiU also buy GTA5?

Why wouldn't they?

You've got to get over this idea that there is uniformity of demographics of individuals who buy a system, or of the interests of the people who play games on the systems that have been purchased. While a “40 year old mom” may bring a system into a household, there will be a variety of potential game buyers within that household. In the households that only have a Wii U, or where the Wii U would represent the best version of the game, the people who would be interested in GTA would be interested in buying it on the Wii U.

Im pretty sure that most people who are interested in GTA5 already have a PS360/PC to run it, what would be the incentive of them getting a Wii U to play it?? Even if their wife/girl or mother got one. I doubt they would even get the Wii U version anyway (trophies/acheivements, online friends, not having to fight over Wii U, etc)

Years after it was released for the HD consoles a significantly inferior version of Modern Warfare sold (roughly) 1.5 Million copies on the Wii. I see no reason to believe that an enhanced (in many ways) version of Grand Theft Auto 5 released for the Wii U at the same time as the other versions would not sell well enough to turn a significant profit based on porting costs.

As has been pointed out by several people, the average gamer buys about 3 games a year; and, while they would be happy to pick up a high quality well know game that is available for a platform they own, most of them are not going to buy additional platforms simply to play these games. With well over 100 million gamers who have access to a Wii, it is highly likely that at least 20 Million would have had some interest in a high quality game like GTA being released for the Wii, and at least 4 Million of them would have bought it if it was available. A large portion of these potential purchases are from people who buy 2 or 3 games a year, could be convinced to buy 4 or 5 games in a year, and were not willing to spend several hundreds of dollars on a system to gain access to 1 or 2 additional games.

This is not significantly different from exclusive games released for a platform. While I own an XBox 360, PC and Wii and I am interested in games like Uncharted, Little Big Planet and Killzone there are already more game releases that I'm interested in on platforms I own than I could ever play to justify buying a PS3 to play these games. In a similar fashion, for a gamer who is only buying 2 or 3 games a year, there are already far more games released for the Wii that they're interested in than they could ever play to justify spending money on an HD console just to play GTA.

This is not a difficult concept, we see this behaviour every time there is a popularity shift towards one console manufacturer, and yet people can't seem to see it. 24 Million more people bought Mario Kart for the Wii than bought it for the Gamecube not because they weren't interested in the game for the Gamecube, but because they didn't own the Gamecube their interest in the game was irrelevant towards the purchase of the game. 7 Million people that bought Gran Turismo for the PS2 did not buy it for the PS3 not because they weren't interested in the game for the PS3, but because they didn't own the PS3 their interest in the game was irrelevant towards the purchase of the game.

The entire bolded paragraph only backs up what i was saying. Who will be justified in buying a Wii U just for GTA if they already have the console or system that can play it? I seriously doubt that much people will spend a couple of hundred to play a version with a map on the tablet and maybe a few extra minigames. I think your really underestimating the user base of the PS360. I gaurentee that most people who want GTA 5 already have a system that will run it, hell ill take it a step further. If they didnt buy it there would still be at least two chealer alternatives than the Wii U, if they just wanted to play GTA.

With that said, I never said they shouldnt, i think they should, but dont expect it to do that well.

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
I don't see the point, There are already 100 million HD consoles that can play the game, Why would anyone want to play it on the wii u? Or better yet, buy a system for it? It's not going to be the system seller that 4 was.

For the same reasons that ACTI siill makes Wii versions of COD, despite it selling much less than the others, an extra mil sales is still a mil. And porting would be easier

I don't see why not. The Wii U is sufficiently powerful, it'll have a network (hopefully) upto par with PSN/XBLA and Rockstar would want to increase their profits by easily porting it over to the new console.

Plus its not like Rockstar has a beef with Nintendo, infact I would say they are in good terms since Rockstar released the GTA chinatown wars for the ds. This should be comparatively easier.

Will it release at the same time as on the PS3/360? No. GTA5 will most likely be an October 2012 release with the Wii U dropping in the standard Nintendo November.

But will it be on the Wii U?.... Yes I believe 100% it will be. Bioshock will end up on the Wii U in some form too. Take that!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I don't think it would sell enough to justify the cost of the port.

Around the Network

I'd say it's pretty likely to happen, so long as it's not released too early into the WiiU's lifetime

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

oniyide said:

The entire bolded paragraph only backs up what i was saying. Who will be justified in buying a Wii U just for GTA if they already have the console or system that can play it? I seriously doubt that much people will spend a couple of hundred to play a version with a map on the tablet and maybe a few extra minigames. I think your really underestimating the user base of the PS360. I gaurentee that most people who want GTA 5 already have a system that will run it, hell ill take it a step further. If they didnt buy it there would still be at least two chealer alternatives than the Wii U, if they just wanted to play GTA.

With that said, I never said they shouldnt, i think they should, but dont expect it to do that well.

People won't just be buying the console for GTA though they'll just be getting GTAV to start themselves off, I'm getting a U because I like Nintendo's first party offering and Pikmin 3 is confirmed for it early on but I'm still going to get RE6 and GTAV if they're out on the U even though I have a PS3 and 360 because they'll be the enhanced versions and it'll start me off just fine on the console. People should drop the notion that someone is buying it just for GTAV or what not because that is not the case, people will be buying a console for numerous reasons which is why being a launch title has always been a huge benefit as you start people's libraries off and the userbase becomes accustomed to you early on.

Wyrdness said:
oniyide said:

People won't just be buying the console for GTA though they'll just be getting GTAV to start themselves off, I'm getting a U because I like Nintendo's first party offering and Pikmin 3 is confirmed for it early on but I'm still going to get RE6 and GTAV if they're out on the U even though I have a PS3 and 360 because they'll be the enhanced versions and it'll start me off just fine on the console. People should drop the notion that someone is buying it just for GTAV or what not because that is not the case, people will be buying a console for numerous reasons which is why being a launch title has always been a huge benefit as you start people's libraries off and the userbase becomes accustomed to you early on.

Yes, but as we've seen in the past, 3rd partys will only develop to the lowers common demonator, being the 360. So i wouldn't expect special features or a better looking game. Maybe a map or somehting for the tablet, but that's about it, hardly worth getting it on the wiiU.

Mmmfishtacos said:
Wyrdness said:
oniyide said:

Yes, but as we've seen in the past, 3rd partys will only develop to the lowers common demonator, being the 360. So i wouldn't expect special features or a better looking game. Maybe a map or somehting for the tablet, but that's about it, hardly worth getting it on the wiiU.

I'll say it again since some of you can't fathom the post properly no one is buying the console for GTAV, they will be buying GTA on it just to start themselves off, it's a case of well I'm buying a Wii U today at launch I think I'll pick up GTAV or RE6 with mine, if I can get a game on launch or afterward I'll get the U versions not the 360 or PS3 versions, Nintendo's first party is selling the console to me and I'm buying these games to keep me busy until they arrive.

As for versions most developers today develop on the PS3 and port to the 360 as it's easier due to the architecture, even if the U version has nothing really fancy I'll still get it because it's less likely to have performance issues then the other versions (look up Skyrim for reference).

If Sony can get Xbox 360 Exclusive/Funded GTA4 "DLC", then yeah, Nintendo can get GTA5.