By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo get Grand Theft Auto V?

Tagged games:

Chances of GTA V coming to the Wii U at the same time as PS3 and 360?

100% 93 33.33%

50% 108 38.71%

25% 77 27.60%

Total:278

depends if GTA V will come to 360 or PS3, or will it be for next gen.
if next gen Wii u will probably not get it because its not much more powerful then the 360.

but porting the 360 version to the wii u could be possible.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
oniyide said:

The entire bolded paragraph only backs up what i was saying. Who will be justified in buying a Wii U just for GTA if they already have the console or system that can play it? I seriously doubt that much people will spend a couple of hundred to play a version with a map on the tablet and maybe a few extra minigames. I think your really underestimating the user base of the PS360. I gaurentee that most people who want GTA 5 already have a system that will run it, hell ill take it a step further. If they didnt buy it there would still be at least two chealer alternatives than the Wii U, if they just wanted to play GTA.

With that said, I never said they shouldnt, i think they should, but dont expect it to do that well.

People won't just be buying the console for GTA though they'll just be getting GTAV to start themselves off, I'm getting a U because I like Nintendo's first party offering and Pikmin 3 is confirmed for it early on but I'm still going to get RE6 and GTAV if they're out on the U even though I have a PS3 and 360 because they'll be the enhanced versions and it'll start me off just fine on the console. People should drop the notion that someone is buying it just for GTAV or what not because that is not the case, people will be buying a console for numerous reasons which is why being a launch title has always been a huge benefit as you start people's libraries off and the userbase becomes accustomed to you early on.

Thats not what he said, what he said is people will buy Wii U JUST for GTA5 and i pointed out the flaw in that logic, in this day and age no one buys a console for just one game, especially if that game is available on something they might already have

Carl2291 said:
If Sony can get Xbox 360 Exclusive/Funded GTA4 "DLC", then yeah, Nintendo can get GTA5.

I always thought that it was always timed exclusive. I thought that funded stuff was crap.

oniyide said:
Wyrdness said:
oniyide said:

The entire bolded paragraph only backs up what i was saying. Who will be justified in buying a Wii U just for GTA if they already have the console or system that can play it? I seriously doubt that much people will spend a couple of hundred to play a version with a map on the tablet and maybe a few extra minigames. I think your really underestimating the user base of the PS360. I gaurentee that most people who want GTA 5 already have a system that will run it, hell ill take it a step further. If they didnt buy it there would still be at least two chealer alternatives than the Wii U, if they just wanted to play GTA.

With that said, I never said they shouldnt, i think they should, but dont expect it to do that well.

People won't just be buying the console for GTA though they'll just be getting GTAV to start themselves off, I'm getting a U because I like Nintendo's first party offering and Pikmin 3 is confirmed for it early on but I'm still going to get RE6 and GTAV if they're out on the U even though I have a PS3 and 360 because they'll be the enhanced versions and it'll start me off just fine on the console. People should drop the notion that someone is buying it just for GTAV or what not because that is not the case, people will be buying a console for numerous reasons which is why being a launch title has always been a huge benefit as you start people's libraries off and the userbase becomes accustomed to you early on.

Thats not what he said, what he said is people will buy Wii U JUST for GTA5 and i pointed out the flaw in that logic, in this day and age no one buys a console for just one game, especially if that game is available on something they might already have

Actually, I never (EVER) said that people would be buying the Wii U to play GTA 5 ... In fact my argument is the complete opposite.

Much like there were millions of people who bought Mario Kart for the Wii but were unwilling to buy a Gamecube to play Mario Kart, there are millions of people who are willing to buy GTA but were unwilling to buy a HD console to play it. Many of these gamers may adopt the Wii U because they like Nintendo's approach to the gaming market and will buy GTA V if it is available, but they're not going to buy a PS3 or XBox 360 to play GTA V.

To put rough numbers to it, for every dollar they spend porting GTAV to the Wii U I would expect an additional sale to the series resulting in (at least) $10 additional in revenue; up until they spend about $5 Million porting it. If they do a fairly basic port of the game I would expect it to cost (around) $1 Million and they would (probably) see at least 1 million units sold on the Wii U, if they implement meaningful features that took full advantage of the Wii U's capabilities I would expect it to cost between $2.5 Million and $5 Million and they would see at least 5 Million units sold on the Wii U.

While the sales may not match the HD console versions of the same game, they easily will cover the porting costs, and it would be really bad business to ignore the Wii U.

HappySqurriel said:

While the sales may not match the HD console versions of the same game, they easily will cover the porting costs, and it would be really bad business to ignore the Wii U.

Indeed it would be lose-lose.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
oniyide said:
Wyrdness said:
oniyide said:

Actually, I never (EVER) said that people would be buying the Wii U to play GTA 5 ... In fact my argument is the complete opposite.

Much like there were millions of people who bought Mario Kart for the Wii but were unwilling to buy a Gamecube to play Mario Kart, there are millions of people who are willing to buy GTA but were unwilling to buy a HD console to play it. Many of these gamers may adopt the Wii U because they like Nintendo's approach to the gaming market and will buy GTA V if it is available, but they're not going to buy a PS3 or XBox 360 to play GTA V.

To put rough numbers to it, for every dollar they spend porting GTAV to the Wii U I would expect an additional sale to the series resulting in (at least) $10 additional in revenue; up until they spend about $5 Million porting it. If they do a fairly basic port of the game I would expect it to cost (around) $1 Million and they would (probably) see at least 1 million units sold on the Wii U, if they implement meaningful features that took full advantage of the Wii U's capabilities I would expect it to cost between $2.5 Million and $5 Million and they would see at least 5 Million units sold on the Wii U.

Fair enough

I think your overestimating the NINTY fan and when i say fan im talking the zeolots who will ONLY buy NINTY products, there isnt that much of them out there as you think IMHO. ANd the WIi U will still just be out, could it sell a million?? possible 2 mil??  unlikely five mil?? Hell no. Keep in mind im not dont port, im sayign they should

happydolphin said:

HappySqurriel said:

more like a lose-stalemate. Ninty would lost out cause they want that core audiecne but RS isnt losing anything the game will do gangbusters on PS360 by itself, not even counting PC version. Sure they can make more money, but the wont go bankrupt if they ignore Wii U

oniyide said:
happydolphin said:

HappySqurriel said:

more like a lose-stalemate. Ninty would lost out cause they want that core audiecne but RS isnt losing anything the game will do gangbusters on PS360 by itself, not even counting PC version. Sure they can make more money, but the wont go bankrupt if they ignore Wii U

Of course you're right Oni, what I meant was lost opportunity and obvious ROI for both businesses.

turtuls said:
I think the more obvious question is: "Does Take Two and Rockstar want to make mo money?"

Depends if they want to bother with a new hardware.... But at least Wii U is not like the Cell proccessor. 

Yay!!!

oniyide said:
happydolphin said:

HappySqurriel said:

No, it's "lose-lose." Nintendo's console will do just as good as it was going to do with or without GTA (game's not really a killer app in and of itself anymore), but the loss of a game of its caliber sets a negative precedent for third party support. Meanwhile, sure Rockstar doesn't lose much by avoiding Wii U in the short run (comparatively. An easy $30 million is nothing to sneeze at), but they then will not be established as a name on the Wii U, and will find it harder to break into the market later

Just like the Wii's third party situation was lose-lose, it will be bad all around should Take Two choose not to force Rockstar to take the plunge.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.