By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo get Grand Theft Auto V?

Tagged games:

Chances of GTA V coming to the Wii U at the same time as PS3 and 360?

100% 93 33.33%

50% 108 38.71%

25% 77 27.60%

Total:278
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:
But it all comes down to whom is buying WiiU! If it's only families that's buying it, why release GTA5 on it? Rockstar wouldn't do it cuz noone would get it... It's all about the demogrphics

Because families never include boys/men between the ages of 13 and 40?

Well, if most WiiU's is purchased by mom's in their 40's, would it be a smart idea for Rockstar to port GTA to it? No it wouldn't. Now I know there won't be only 40 year old moms buying the system, but I gotta keep in mind the demographics! would the people that bought the WiiU also buy GTA5?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

I don`t see why it couldn`t be on Wii U. Actually, it makes sense to bring it to Wii U.
It`s clear Nintendo is going for the hardcore gamer with titles like Batman AC, Ninja Gaiden, Dirt, Darksiders 2, Chost Recon Online, Lego City Stories (this one might appeal to a younger crowd aswell). Why shouldn`t GTA V be on Wii U? GTA is a brand strong enough to sell on any console. Even on DS, GTA sold above 1 million.

I`m betting we will see some announcement during E3.

DanneSandin said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:
But it all comes down to whom is buying WiiU! If it's only families that's buying it, why release GTA5 on it? Rockstar wouldn't do it cuz noone would get it... It's all about the demogrphics

Well, if most WiiU's is purchased by mom's in their 40's, would it be a smart idea for Rockstar to port GTA to it? No it wouldn't. Now I know there won't be only 40 year old moms buying the system, but I gotta keep in mind the demographics! would the people that bought the WiiU also buy GTA5?

Why wouldn't they?

You've got to get over this idea that there is uniformity of demographics of individuals who buy a system, or of the interests of the people who play games on the systems that have been purchased. While a “40 year old mom” may bring a system into a household, there will be a variety of potential game buyers within that household. In the households that only have a Wii U, or where the Wii U would represent the best version of the game, the people who would be interested in GTA would be interested in buying it on the Wii U.

HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:

Why wouldn't they?

You've got to get over this idea that there is uniformity of demographics of individuals who buy a system, or of the interests of the people who play games on the systems that have been purchased. While a “40 year old mom” may bring a system into a household, there will be a variety of potential game buyers within that household. In the households that only have a Wii U, or where the Wii U would represent the best version of the game, the people who would be interested in GTA would be interested in buying it on the Wii U.

Im pretty sure that most people who are interested in GTA5 already have a PS360/PC to run it, what would be the incentive of them getting a Wii U to play it?? Even if their wife/girl or mother got one. I doubt they would even get the Wii U version anyway (trophies/acheivements, online friends, not having to fight over Wii U, etc)

oniyide said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:

Why wouldn't they?

Im pretty sure that most people who are interested in GTA5 already have a PS360/PC to run it, what would be the incentive of them getting a Wii U to play it?? Even if their wife/girl or mother got one. I doubt they would even get the Wii U version anyway (trophies/acheivements, online friends, not having to fight over Wii U, etc)

Years after it was released for the HD consoles a significantly inferior version of Modern Warfare sold (roughly) 1.5 Million copies on the Wii. I see no reason to believe that an enhanced (in many ways) version of Grand Theft Auto 5 released for the Wii U at the same time as the other versions would not sell well enough to turn a significant profit based on porting costs.

As has been pointed out by several people, the average gamer buys about 3 games a year; and, while they would be happy to pick up a high quality well know game that is available for a platform they own, most of them are not going to buy additional platforms simply to play these games. With well over 100 million gamers who have access to a Wii, it is highly likely that at least 20 Million would have had some interest in a high quality game like GTA being released for the Wii, and at least 4 Million of them would have bought it if it was available. A large portion of these potential purchases are from people who buy 2 or 3 games a year, could be convinced to buy 4 or 5 games in a year, and were not willing to spend several hundreds of dollars on a system to gain access to 1 or 2 additional games.

This is not significantly different from exclusive games released for a platform. While I own an XBox 360, PC and Wii and I am interested in games like Uncharted, Little Big Planet and Killzone there are already more game releases that I'm interested in on platforms I own than I could ever play to justify buying a PS3 to play these games. In a similar fashion, for a gamer who is only buying 2 or 3 games a year, there are already far more games released for the Wii that they're interested in than they could ever play to justify spending money on an HD console just to play GTA.

This is not a difficult concept, we see this behaviour every time there is a popularity shift towards one console manufacturer, and yet people can't seem to see it. 24 Million more people bought Mario Kart for the Wii than bought it for the Gamecube not because they weren't interested in the game for the Gamecube, but because they didn't own the Gamecube their interest in the game was irrelevant towards the purchase of the game. 7 Million people that bought Gran Turismo for the PS2 did not buy it for the PS3 not because they weren't interested in the game for the PS3, but because they didn't own the PS3 their interest in the game was irrelevant towards the purchase of the game.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:
HappySqurriel said:
DanneSandin said:

Why wouldn't they?

Sure, there's not just ONE demographic group buying a console, there's no uniformity in that way. buuut, look att the Wii - that's a good example. Wii has sold over 95 million units - but compared  to the other two consoles there's relativly few "hardcore games" on it. Now, why is that? One could argue that it's the lack of graphic power that's keeping the 3rd parties away from it, not developing "hardcore games" - but is that all there is to it? I think not.

Why didn't GTA4 come to the Wii? was it the lack of graphical prowess that held it away? Or was it that there weren't enough core gamers that would bother buy it? now, I'm not saying that this will be the case with WiiU - but you gotta keep that in mind. why release GTA5 to WiiU if noone will buy it?

And Oniyide has a very valid point!

spurgeonryan said:
Of course, have you not seen all the rumors? They are working on it. I think the problem was before that they were not happy with the power of past Nintendo consoles. Not a problem this time around.

GC was superior to the PS2 but it didn't get ported over.

sethnintendo said:
spurgeonryan said:
Of course, have you not seen all the rumors? They are working on it. I think the problem was before that they were not happy with the power of past Nintendo consoles. Not a problem this time around.

That's also a very good point!

sethnintendo said:
spurgeonryan said:

High qualtiy game developers and publishers were also not going bankrupt for failing to get sales to cover development costs for games on the PS2 ... The same can not be said today.

I don't see the point, There are already 100 million HD consoles that can play the game, Why would anyone want to play it on the wii u? Or better yet, buy a system for it? It's not going to be the system seller that 4 was.