By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo get Grand Theft Auto V?

Tagged games:

Chances of GTA V coming to the Wii U at the same time as PS3 and 360?

100% 93 33.33%

50% 108 38.71%

25% 77 27.60%

Total:278

So, whats the whole big deal about gtaV anyways?

OP: The possibility is there

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

As you can see CoD only sold less and less - but they did make a profit for Activion, yes. But how come Rock* didn't port the game then, if it almost definitely would make a profit? Especially if Nintendo wanted R* as a 3rd party partner...

@Viper1 I guess this question/statement is directed to you as well...

Hey bud, so it was a direct reply to this:

DanneSandin said:

I'm just not sure if there will be a big enough number of sold WiiU's out there that's also's gonna buy GTA5.

As for R* releasing it on the Wii... well some did port HD games on the Wii but others didn't want to sell a reduced version of their games on the Wii despite the sales it could return. As good as it could have been, they likely didn't want to have a version they considered lesser (this is speculation mind you, but COD is a good indicator of what happens when you do).

That same however issue doesn't apply for WiiU since Wii U will have the graphical capabilities to offer the same graphical and process intensive experience or above. The situation is different. However, as different as the situations are, my reply to your first worry about launch numbers still stands ;)

DanneSandin said:

As you can see CoD only sold less and less - but they did make a profit for Activion, yes. But how come Rock* didn't port the game then, if it almost definitely would make a profit? Especially if Nintendo wanted R* as a 3rd party partner...

@Viper1 I guess this question/statement is directed to you as well...

1. Game engines.  Treyarch ported over Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare engine (IW Engine) to the Wii.  Notice how none of the IF developed games were ported to the Wii unless Treyarch did the porting?    With GTAIV, the full game engine was not easily ported to the Wii which led to only their Table Tennis game supporting it on Wii.

2 Game assets.  For HD games to be ported to the Wii, almost every single game asset had to be redrawn, remodeld and reanimated.  Basically, you had to completely rebuild the game.  

On Wii U, neither of these will be a problem.   Game einges and game assets are incredibly easy to port over.  Many developers have alrady stated they are amazed how fast they were able to get their games up and running on the Wii U.  It took a very small team just a couple of weeks to get the game up and running.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

So both of you, happy and viper, think GTA5 will be released on wiiU?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Yes, I do.

Around the Network

What an overrated game...

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
What an overrated game...

so you've played GTA5 already

Let's play this meanwhile

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Kai Master said:
50%, mature games always had a hard time being ported on Nintendo consoles, it depends on whether WiiU gamer base is mature enough and if Take2 want to take on the risk to flop or not.

This is a problem due to the limited quantity of high quality mature games on Nintendo systems since the SNES.   As the volume dropped, fewer purchasers of Mature rated games looked to Nintendo consoles to meet their demand which meant that those games that did see a release were met with limited sales by comparison.

However, seeing that the Wii U has already gained a home to many Mature rated or themed titles that trend can easily be reversed.  Looking at the curent list of known Wii U titles, I can see 11 M rated or themed titles out a total of 20 games.   So half of the list is already way beyond what any Nintendo console has ever seen.