By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil: Attracting CoD fans 'the dream,' says Capcom. 'Action route makes sense'

Tagged games:

Its such a shame. Why couldn't capcom have made a new up for this 3rd person action design?
Here's the problem. Rather than create a new up and have the same game mechanics as resi 4 5 and 6, they change the resident evil series forever. So fans of resident evil survival horror are thrown by the wayside. No matter what anyone tries to say resident evil from 4 onwards is not at all a survival horror game. Its a 3rd person action shooter. Capcom could have had 2 franchises. But chose to kill 1 and put a different game under the first ones name.

Its a shame. Because Alan wake was built to be an action thriller. It has much much better controls than resi 4 and 5, much better visuals and hugely better music and storytelling. I actually first played resi 5 after Alan wake, and boy is the difference night and day. Resi 5 felt like controlling an 18 wheel truck with an rc remote. Yet even though Alan wake is infinitely better than resident action 5, it will never sell as well because of the name.

Maybe that's why they killed resident evil in favour of resident action. Because they knew the name would carry it. Look at final fantasy.

All in all I would much rather have had capcom make a different series for their action stuff. So the fans of old resi could still have their survival horror game. Is that so hard to be mad about?

Around the Network
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
Action is always fun. I remember playing the GC and Wii versions of Resident Evil. Lots of action, and it was lots of fun! Left 4 Dead would be another example I think, but you still need to keep the basic RE formula./

This, Valve showed us with L4D you can make an action packed zombie game very good 

This and that. it will bee easyer for me to play for one. i couldn't play any before 4, and the controls on 4 and 5 were imo, not worth the time it took to beat the game in under 2hr's.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

selnor said:
Its such a shame. Why couldn't capcom have made a new up for this 3rd person action design?
Here's the problem. Rather than create a new up and have the same game mechanics as resi 4 5 and 6, they change the resident evil series forever. So fans of resident evil survival horror are thrown by the wayside. No matter what anyone tries to say resident evil from 4 onwards is not at all a survival horror game. Its a 3rd person action shooter. Capcom could have had 2 franchises. But chose to kill 1 and put a different game under the first ones name.

Its a shame. Because Alan wake was built to be an action thriller. It has much much better controls than resi 4 and 5, much better visuals and hugely better music and storytelling. I actually first played resi 5 after Alan wake, and boy is the difference night and day. Resi 5 felt like controlling an 18 wheel truck with an rc remote. Yet even though Alan wake is infinitely better than resident action 5, it will never sell as well because of the name.

Maybe that's why they killed resident evil in favour of resident action. Because they knew the name would carry it. Look at final fantasy.

All in all I would much rather have had capcom make a different series for their action stuff. So the fans of old resi could still have their survival horror game. Is that so hard to be mad about?

respected nor and agreed. although i like the change, having options for gameplay mechanic's would be ideal.

I'm actually interested in seeing Resident Evil's multiplayer, so maybe I'm not as worried as I should be.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

Wow haha. First time I've seen that trailer. Didn't know some stuff of RE6 was out already.

Sad to see the direction the series is going. Frankly I don't mind action, but now it follows the same Hollywood recipe of the other games that pleases the teen drones over North America and Europe - some boys blowin' shit up. Not to mention the uninspired and generic apocalyptic scenario...

I was probably gonna pass on 6, but this confirms it even more. Cant even be mad at Capcom, 5 is the best selling one, so that means more than forum goers who didnt like 5 as much (myself included). no biggie thats 60 bucks i wont have to spend

I don't understand why resident evil 4 is often times considered the best in the series and 5 the worst. As others mentioned with the introduction of 4, resident evil changed from survival horror to an action game that just happened to include zombies. 

Anyway I'll probably get resident evil 6. The only thing I hate is the fucking gun weilding zombies. Biggest reason why I felt ninja gaiden 2 and resident evil 5 were lame. Giving random enemies guns when it clearly makes no sense for them to have guns is such a lame and boring way to make harder enemies. 

so whats the point then? it'll just be another shooter except with zombies as the enemy

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever. Though perhaps not survival horror in the same way as previous entries in the series, it was tense as hell. It was a spectacular game, way ahead of its time. I can't believe that someone actually prefer the dated and clumsy RE games that came before it.

RE5 was also great, but less scary and too similar to RE4 in gameplay.

This is a day one purchase for me.