By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Multiplayer In The Last of Us. . . But Who Cares! b/c Its Naughty Dog’s First M-Rated Title

Spedfrom said:
Rainbird said:
I think this could be both a good sign or a bad sign.

The good way is that it could make for an excellent singleplayer campaign.
The bad way is that, if they do a singleplayer campaign in the vein of Uncharted (extremely linear), the game might end up being uninteresting after a playthrough.

So here's hoping the game will be something more open, full of environments that beg to be explored!

But, either way, I'm not getting excited before we see some gameplay.

I've replayed Uncharted 1 and 2 at least 3 times each. If I recall correctly U1 was played by me 5 times in total and U2 3 or 4, I can't remember for sure. And I've seen a great number of people report the same thing, that the games are very replayable and people actually do replay them a lot for the story and for the gameplay.

I've yet to play U3 for some very specific but unrelated reasons.

I've replayed them U1 and U2 a few times as well, though only for trophies, and from a value point of view, I wasn't terribly impressed. It's the same reason why I haven't played Uncharted 3 yet. I know I'm just going to play the SP once or twice, and at full retail price, that's just not worth my time.

Give me games like the new Batman games, where I can roam a world full of things worth exploring for. Or games like Heavy Rain and Mass Effect, where I can twist the story and feel like I'm making my own decisions.

That's what I want!

Around the Network

An M rated game. Now Naughty Dog can enter the pantheon of "real" developers

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

CGI-Quality said:

So now I ask you: how do you feel about the game (what's known so far, that is)?

I'm hopeful that it'll be something interesting and not just another shooter since they seemed to be so happy about finding a handful of bullets.  The idea of a survival game that forces you to kill not only the monsters around you but also other survivors seems like it could have some interesting moral issues that the story could present (if you're running out of food do you kill off a family of 3 that haven't done anything to provoke you or do you move on and hope you can find some less vulgar means to ensure your survival), and they could turn that into something you have a choice about, or just present it as a problem the characters deal with and show how that affects them.  

So there's a lot of promise, the only thing I need to see is if guns aren't going to be your main means of dispatching people/infected what will you be doing instead?  Will they make you use the envionment like a puzzle in order to get around/kill things in your way similar to how Amy looks or will they just substitute gunplay for melee like Dead Island.  I'm hopeful that they'll go more of an Amy type approach as that's better for a suspenseful game.  Dead Island is fun but it is very rarely scary because you have such a sense of empowerment.  

Rainbird said:
Spedfrom said:
Rainbird said:

The bad way is that, if they do a singleplayer campaign in the vein of Uncharted (extremely linear), the game might end up being uninteresting after a playthrough.

So here's hoping the game will be something more open, full of environments that beg to be explored!

I've replayed Uncharted 1 and 2 at least 3 times each. If I recall correctly U1 was played by me 5 times in total and U2 3 or 4, I can't remember for sure. And I've seen a great number of people report the same thing, that the games are very replayable and people actually do replay them a lot for the story and for the gameplay.

I've replayed them U1 and U2 a few times as well, though only for trophies, and from a value point of view, I wasn't terribly impressed. It's the same reason why I haven't played Uncharted 3 yet. I know I'm just going to play the SP once or twice, and at full retail price, that's just not worth my time.

Give me games like the new Batman games, where I can roam a world full of things worth exploring for. Or games like Heavy Rain and Mass Effect, where I can twist the story and feel like I'm making my own decisions.

That's what I want!

A multiplayer gamer would tell you that those games don't impress him and he just wants to shoot dudes in the face and if a game has no multiplayer, open world or not, he doesn't care. That's what he wants!

Which brings me to my point: there are audiences for all types of games and I'm glad Naughty Dog is making this type of game because I'm its type of audience.

sales2099 said:

Well honestly when a grenade detonates and the body simply falls down with no real blood and dismemberment, its like the games been dumbed down so 13 year olds can buy the game. 

Grown adults over the age of 21 want more gritty combat. Has nothing to do with quality but for the content to simply match what the adult gamer wants. Im 24 personally and I love the combat in Gears 3, very satisfying. For Uncharted 3.....I'd feel like im playing this game alongside little kids cause of that T rating. 

Im sure I am not alone here. 

I could say the complete opposite. I don't like games with EXAGGERATED gore because it feels like I'm playing a game targetted towards sadistic kids who get off watching blood spray all over the screen.

sales2099 said:

Just seems strange that Sony is kinda killing one of its golden eggs given Uncharted 3 sales. 

Killing one of it's golden eggs? Franchises come and go all the time, Naughty Dog and SONY just know when to call it quits. If the same logic applied then we would be playing Crash Bandicoot 10 right now. I would be more than happy not to see an Uncharted 4 because the franchise has ran its course.

As for 'The Last of Us', starting a new IP in one generation is breaking their usual cycle, I don't think 'The Last of Us' can become a franchise and it will just be a single installment to finish off the generation, probably because they didn't want to make 'Un-Karted' .

Around the Network
Torillian said:
CGI-Quality said:

So now I ask you: how do you feel about the game (what's known so far, that is)?

I'm hopeful that it'll be something interesting and not just another shooter since they seemed to be so happy about finding a handful of bullets.  The idea of a survival game that forces you to kill not only the monsters around you but also other survivors seems like it could have some interesting moral issues that the story could present (if you're running out of food do you kill off a family of 3 that haven't done anything to provoke you or do you move on and hope you can find some less vulgar means to ensure your survival), and they could turn that into something you have a choice about, or just present it as a problem the characters deal with and show how that affects them.  

So there's a lot of promise, the only thing I need to see is if guns aren't going to be your main means of dispatching people/infected what will you be doing instead?  Will they make you use the envionment like a puzzle in order to get around/kill things in your way similar to how Amy looks or will they just substitute gunplay for melee like Dead Island.  I'm hopeful that they'll go more of an Amy type approach as that's better for a suspenseful game.  Dead Island is fun but it is very rarely scary because you have such a sense of empowerment.  

*Promotes Torillian to scriptwriter of the year*

Didn't think of any of that yet really, reminds me a lot of 'The Road' (Bloody awesome movie) and something that really hasn't been done lately (Sorry COD, 'No Russian' didn't pose any sort of moral dillema for me) Would be extremely interested in this game if they added elements like that to the story!

@CGI, nice avatar!

I've got nothing against that,it might hint that the game is frigging HUGE!

Prays that this will be released in 2012 and not 2013!!!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

Spedfrom said:
Rainbird said:
Spedfrom said:
Rainbird said:

That's what I want!

A multiplayer gamer would tell you that those games don't impress him and he just wants to shoot dudes in the face and if a game has no multiplayer, open world or not, he doesn't care. That's what he wants!

Which brings me to my point: there are audiences for all types of games and I'm glad Naughty Dog is making this type of game because I'm its type of audience.

I'm aware that there's an audience who loves the Uncharted-model. I'm also aware that there's an audience who wants something else.

My original post is simply me expressing my point of view over what this news might mean for the game, relative to what I hope it becomes. If your hopes are different than mine, then that's fine, I'm not trying to make you feel the same way I do. 

My point is simply this: If it's going for the same level of value as an Uncharted-game without multiplayer, then I will be disappointed.

Mr Khan said:
An M rated game. Now Naughty Dog can enter the pantheon of "real" developers

Reported for trolling.