By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Multiplayer In The Last of Us. . . But Who Cares! b/c Its Naughty Dog’s First M-Rated Title

Following the announcement of Naughty Dog’s PlayStation 3 exclusive, The Last of Us, questions arose whether the game would be a single-player only affair or it would sport a multiplayer feature – presumably an online multiplayer component. Additionally, judging by the nature of the debut trailer for the game, there were question marks regarding whether it would be Naughty Dog’s first M-rated game. Well, it seems the PlayStation 3 exclusive just keeps getting better and better.

The Last of Us will be a single-player only game, with the game’s official website clearly stating under ‘Network play’ that the game will not feature ‘no network play’.

Furthermore, the PlayStation 3 exclusive will be developer Naughty Dog’s first M-rated game; the website also clearly lists a PEGI 18 rating, with the Uncharted series sporting a PEGI 16 rating .

http://www.gamersmint.com/no-multiplayer-in-the-last-of-us-naughty-dogs-first-m-rated-title

thats hot. been awhile since i looked foward to any PS exclusive, i think the last one was UC DF for me, here are some reasons ya'll should be excited too

So at the VGA’s last night Naughty dog revealed to us their new project, The Last of Us and we thought we would put together a list of reasons why you should already be excited about this new game. Enjoy!

The Uncharted series is without doubt one of the best looking games on the PS3 and from the looks of the trailer they aren’t holding back. You can be sure that the ruined streets of what looks to be like New York will look absolutely stunning as Naughty Dog seemed to have perfected the look and feel of ruined temples and cities can’t be that hard, can they? Naughty Dog have also said on twitter that “#TheLastofUs trailer was definitely not CG. all in-engine captures from PS3, just like Uncharted cinematics”.

Now The Last of Us looks like it could be playing along the lines of Dead Island or the Left 4 dead series with those mutated creatures trying to suck out the brains of the old guy in the trailer. Not only that but other Humans could be an altogether different challenge in the game as they could turn out to be smarter, better armed and you might have to turn to altogether different tactics in order to overcome these challenges. I mean we saw this in Uncharted 2 when Nate had to take on both humans and those weird blue things at the end of the game. In their press release Naughty Dog have stated that:

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague. Abandoned cities are being reclaimed by nature and the remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

So we know that this game will be on a visual level similar to that of the Uncharted series, but what is the story going to be like? I mean at first look the trailer sort of gives off an I Am Legend sort of Vibe with the ruined city and those mutated creatures trying to kill you. But it could be quite reminiscent of HomeFront but that’s just my theory.

Although one of the defining reasons why we should be really excited about this game is of course, the gameplay! Now with a proven developer running the show, I think it is safe to say that if they take a leaf out of any of the Uncharted games then The Last of Us will prove a HUGE success and could be another defining game in the console wars.

Overall I think it’s safe to say that The Last of Us could potentially be one of the biggest survival/action games to ever hit the PS3, I mean my mouth is just watering at the thought of the combination of Naughty Dog gameplay/ graphics coupled with the whole story behind the game and I can’t wait to get more information on the game!

http://gamercity.co.uk/why-you-should-be-excited-about-the-last-of-us/

Play Me

Around the Network

That's a shame. I was looking hoping for co-op.

I don't really see how being a M-Rated title translates to quality, but good for those that care, I guess.

Jay520 said:

I don't really see how being a M-Rated title translates to quality, but good for those that care, I guess.

I always hated that assumption M-rated or even T-rated = awesomeness. 

I look forward to this game regardless as I barely care for multiplayer experiences outside of very few titles. 

It will have had about 3 Years dev time, with no focus on Multiplayer.

The game itself could end up being huge. Its the Uncharted 2 team working on the game and it seems they're taking it really serious about the project with the huge hype being generated for the VGAs.

We need gameplay. We need this to be a real SURVIVAL horror. We can tell from the trailer that bullets will be hard to come by and its not just the Fungus People we need to worry about.

Carl2291 said:
It will have had about 3 Years dev time, with no focus on Multiplayer.

The game itself could end up being huge. Its the Uncharted 2 team working on the game and it seems they're taking it really serious about the project with the huge hype being generated for the VGAs.

We need gameplay. We need this to be a real SURVIVAL horror. We can tell from the trailer that bullets will be hard to come by and its not just the Fungus People we need to worry about.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that soldier dude. Great, they'll be a enemy type besides brain-dead zombies (or infected or whatever).

Around the Network

Alright, so I did not read anything other than the title, but- Why the fuck does it matter that it's their first M-rated title? How does it being M-rated co-relate to the quality of the game in ANY WAY?

Jay520 said:

when you're younger than 15 playing titles with that rating seem to matter.  Hardcore I guess.

Personally I have no issue with the higher rating if the context warrants it.  Most mature games are actually extremely childish in nature, with the silly gore and/or swearing garnering the Mature rating.  The feel here though implies a genuine mature game - i.e. in context and themes.

If for the most part the two in the video are the main characters then a lack of coop would seem odd.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Oh noes!!!11111 no Multiplayer, this game will suck lulz!!!!1111

My interest in this game just increased!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Seriou question: Does anybody care/realize that this means you won't see another Uncharted game for a while due to resources being shifted here? I mean your looking at at least 4 years until you see Uncharted 4.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Seriou question: Does anybody care/realize that this means you won't see another Uncharted game for a while due to resources being shifted here? I mean your looking at at least 4 years until you see Uncharted 4.

I can live with that, to be honest I was a little disappointed with how early after Uc2, 3 was announced. I wanted NG to do something else and now they are.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?