By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

#31: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Release Date: November 21, 2010

There's many reasons why I've enjoyed Wii so much over the years, and one of the biggest reasons is that Nintendo's latest console was a big part of the platformer Renaissance. Even when the console debuted five years ago, who would have ever thought we'd ever see another Donkey Kong Country game? But in November of last year, that's exactly what we got... and thanks to the spectacular developer studio Retro Studios, the King of Kongs never missed a beat. Brilliant level design, fantastic art design (still love those dusk levels), catchy music, and a higher (but always fair... the "just one more time" type) difficulty setting made this game another incredible and memorable platformer game. It's great to see more and more developers understand that 2D games are still just as fun as ever. Here's to more great 2D Platformers!

I miss: The other Animal Buddies
I don't miss: The water levels

Around the Network

#33) The Legend of Zelda (NES/GCN/GBA/Wii)

If I were better at this game, and didn't always get stuck on that room full of Darknuts in Dungeon 5, this game would be a lot higher on my list. I honestly can't come up with a single complaint about it. And if you've been following my list at all, you know what a Negative Nancy I can be, so that's saying something.

But this isn't a thread about the fifty best games of all time, it's a thread about the fifty games we enjoyed the most. And this game's difficulty (Or rather, my own ineptitude at it) prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could have.

SinZinDetta said:

Lucky for me I did not run into as many glitches as other people but it was such a huge game with a lot of improvments over Fallout 3 it was easy to get lost in the world of this game making this is a easy choice for top 50 ever.

I loved FallOut 3, and I heard the original developers who made FallOut 1 and 2 got to put more of their input into this game. I'm waiting for the Ultimate Edition because I know DLC for this game cost more then the game itself, and damn is it worth it. Can't wait to blow off heads in slow motion again.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Meh I'll just update my whole current list on here since I'm lazy like that...

31. TWEWY
32. Super Smash Bros Melee
33. Ocarina of Time
34. World of Goo
35. Animal Crossing
36. Shadow of the Colossus
37. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
38. Final Fantasy Tactics
39. Assassin’s Creed 2
40. Kirby’s Canvas Curse
41. Tales of Abyss
42. Sakura Wars So Long My Love
43. Sonic Adventures 2
44. Pokemon Black/White
45. Deathspank Thongs of Virtue
46. Saints Row 2
47. Bastion
48. No More Heroes
49. Elite Beat Agent
50. Muscle March

Former something....

34. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver - DS (15 last year):

This is a fantastic game, a remake of one of the best RPGs ever made.  It had everything in the original, but also new features such as online play, more Pokemon and much more.  Even if you played it originally, you need to play it again; it's worth getting a DS for.

33. Metroid Prime - GC (42 last year):

This is quite possibly the most atmospheric game I've ever played.  Places like Phendrana Drifts will always stay in my memory.  This is another game I consider it essential for everyone who displays an interest in games to play.  The version in the Wii Metroid Prime collection is apparently better, but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on it.

Around the Network
SinZinDetta said:

Ok people and critics tore into this game but I do not see it at all. Is the combat bad? Yeah, you want a good stealth fighter get Tom Clancy I get it. But if you want a game where you feel like a agent and you made decisions that actually mattered? This game in every sense of those words. Combat was below average however never bad enough to hate. Actually picking up perks made the combat more tolerable but that is not what I loved about this game, it was the story. I beat this game 4 times and each time a few things completely unique happened in each playthrough. On my third playthrough I got a completely new ending boss and on my first playthrough something happened that never happened in my other three with my last one I was trying to get it happen. Game is filled with small decisions that impact the overall game and in my opinion was done better then any other game. Characters people hate on but I enjoyed the characters (Heck maybe favorite ever) and a deep perk and level system, I just can't say enough about this game.

Completely underated game. Didn't make my top 50 but a brilliant game nonetheless. I still can't figure out why it wasn't rated higher. The RPG elements are very well implemented and whilst the action was a poor man's Splinter Cell/Gears, it worked well enough. The original Mass Effect had poor action but better RPG elements, yet is highly regarded. Arguably, the story RPG elements are weaker in Mass Effect than in Alpha Protocol. Shame really, I'd quite like a sequel. 

#30 Fallout New Vegas

Yeah, it's a safe choice but meh, I love this game, especially after raving about how much I disliked Fallout 3 but the is how a sequel should be (overlooking the bugs here or there.)

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

#30 Little big planet played on PS3, released 2008

Great times playing Little big planet with 2 to 4 players co-op on the couch. Some of the multiplayer challenges kept us busy for over an hour due to a comedy array of errors. It's been a while since I laughed that hard playing a game. Who ever thought to add the ability to slap other players deserves a medal.

The later story levels were breathtaking to look at with almost everything on screen rythmically moving back and forth. A feat that was not matched in LBP2 imo. The music is phenominal too. An all out fun game to play together.

And that's all before you delve into the millions of user created levels. Granted 90% of them are complete garbage, another 9% bad to average, but the 1% that's left over has some incredible creative and rewarding gameplay next to amazing artstyles.
It's a shame that the rating system was completely broken. Though once you find a couple of good creators you can follow their favorite lists to get to the good stuff.

After getting to grips with the editor and making some test planets I spend over a month creating my own puzzle oriented level. It's quite amazing what you can do with a couple of springs and sensors. It got great feedback although also criticized for it being too difficult and was quickly buried under hundreds of new levels each day. I streamlined it a bit when the dynamic lighting update came out and added a hint on request system, but will not compromise on the difficulty. It's called Temple of the prism if anyone wants to check it out.

Awesome game and I'll be firing up the sequel again soon to see what people have come up with since spring. Any tips where to find great levels?

List

30. Perfect Dark (N64)

Yet another Rare game, and there's still more to come. This was considered as a spiritual successor to the excellent and revolutionary Goldeneye, and I love them both for similar reasons. The single player mode was good enough on its own, but it's the local multiplayer that really makes it shine. At the time, there was nothing better than getting a load of friends together and just playing it for hours on end, and that's something that's unfortunately been forgotten about in most cases today.

VGChartz

Glad to see Ace attorney/Pokemon/Perfect dark to make on the list of some. Truly amazing games.

Here is my updated list :P

#37:Mario 64 (N64): A pioneer of 3D platforming, looking for stars in the levels was a blast to play. I managed to get all 120 stars and the feeling of accomplishment cannot be compared to any game. Truly amazing and brutal in difficulty at the same time.

#36:Sim Tower (PC): Yes, Sim tower above Mario 64, how come? Well this game is easily one of my most played game in my life. Every a couple of years I keep coming for more and never gets old. Even today (I played it a couple of months ago) the game is incredibily good looking and fun. 

#35:Silent Hill(PSX):This game was the only one so scary to give me literally nightmares. And that's considering I wasn't playing it, but watching my brother play.

I loved the atmosphere and the unsettling characters in Silent Hill, one of the scariest game I ever played.

#34:Grandia(PSX): Great characters, fun battle system, a nice and personal story. Grandia is one of those RPG that seems generic, but when you play it you find a undiscovered gem. It's a shame I never beat the game because my save data was erased a couple of times (and i was in the end of the game)

#33:Final Fantasy VI(SNES): This was my 4th Final Fantasy game, and it's the second best final fantasy i've played. The story is amazing, the combat is fun, there is a load of characters with loads of charm. It's an incredible game, no wonder why almost everyone think the same way about this game. Truly a gem

#32:Suikoden 3(PS2): My first suikoden game, at first I didn't know what to expect and by the time I started playing it it was kind of unconfortable the lack of voice acting. But nevertheless the combat was so addictive to me, loved the characters, the "Chapter" system and absolutely LOVED recruiting party members and seeing them on the Thomas's Castle. Even so, the final battle of this game was epic (using all of the party members in an epic battle). The strategy mini -game was friggin great.

#31:Harvest Moon 3(GBC): Yeah, a harvest moon on top of FF, call me an heretic if you want xD but anyways this harvest moon is the third best HM game ever made (so expect 2 more higher in the list)  You could choose being girl or boy. Each one had different abilities, the girl is better on animals and the boy on the farm part. When you choose the other character lives with you and you can told them to do something each day which gives you a lot of free time to do the MANY things you could do. It was the first in the GBC series that you could buy furniture and sell items in a bazaar-esque. The only downside was you could not choose your bride/husband.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin