By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

@Smeags: What should I know about the Japanese version of Vivian?

BTW great pick, I really have to replay that game.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

32. Tomb Raider (PS1)

What if Indiana Jones was a ridiculously proportioned woman? The answer comes in the form of Lara Croft, who was hailed for changing the way we see female characters in games and also as being an incredibly sexist depiction at the same time. Either way, it was a great game that was the template for many that followed, not just in that era but in the modern era as well. Would Uncharted be what it is today without the influence of this game, for example?

I loved the first 2 tombraider games. Finding your way around was much more rewarding and quite a challenging puzzle. Counting out steps to get the jumps exactly right in sequence. The room with the giant sphinx was awesome. It helped that you could save anytime you want, cause bone crunching, neck breaking death was frequent.

The trailing camera was brilliant too, following you a bit later around the corner just to see Lara get attacked by wolves at the last instant. Probably unintentional but that really helps the scare factor while exploring dark caves.

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:
@Smeags: What should I know about the Japanese version of Vivian?

BTW great pick, I really have to replay that game.

Vivian is like Birdo, so actually a male. But this kind of Japanese thing isn't welcome in the rest of the world, so it's simply not being mentioned in any of the official translations of this game.

Hurray for stupid censorship!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
RolStoppable said:

Vivian is like Birdo, so actually a male. But this kind of Japanese thing isn't welcome in the rest of the world, so it's simply not being mentioned in any of the official translations of this game.

Hurray for stupid censorship!

Well even in the Japaenese version it's pretty complicated. Goombella tattle says "That's Vivian. Of the shadow group, she's the youngest sister... er, brother." However, Vivian is still defined by female pronouns such as "she" and "her"... and in the ending of the game Goombella comes to the conclusion that Vivian is a female.

So I guess we can conclude that in the Japanese version, Vivian is a transgender... viewing herself as a female. Yep...

#34) Mega Man 9 (Wii/PS3/X360)

Above: Mega Man 2's Wily Stage 1 can go suck it.

A shout-out to Soultrigger and for making me a fan of this game long before I actually played it.

The other aspects of the game aren't that bad either. The level design is good, there are no Hyper Bomb or Metal Blade equivalents (Utterly useless and game-breakingly overpowered, respectively) and some of the less pattern-based boss fights are a blast to fight.

Around the Network

Wario Land 3 at my number 32. There was really a lot to do in that game, and showed how a game where you couldn't die could be really challenging and involved

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I remember beginning this game not expecting much but I was blown away. It had a odd battle system/item system that worked well with a story with characters that you would actually care about and a great level design throughout. Many memorable moments I still remember even though it has been well over 15 years since last played.

#32: Gran Turismo 3 PS2 
Before this game I ALWAYS hated Sim racers...still do infact unless they are called Gran Turismo :D

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

#31 World of warcraft played on PC, released 2004

Not much needs to be said about this game other then wow 7 years old already! My wife and I played this together for about 2 to 3 years. There's tons of content, enough for playing 4 different characters and never having to do the same quests. The artstyle is great and the completely seamless world makes it a wonderful place to explore. I love all the references in the quests and characters and how it doesn't take itself too seriously. Dungeons are well made and great fun to explore.
But as with all other mmorpgs, eventually you run out of content and find yourself doing the same things over and over again. Nevertheless a great timewaster until you hit that wall.

List

31. BioShock (PS3)

One of the many great things about BioShock is that you can choose how part of the story plays out. Do you save the Little Sisters, or do you harvest them for their ADAM? I chose to save them, and that's probably a choice I'd make over and over again. Then you have the location of the game, with the underwater city of Rapture being as big a star as any of the characters. Exploring the city and slowly discovering exactly what happened there to turn everyone insane is incredibly compelling, where it gives you the desire to find out what's behind the next door, because you never know which delightfully insane character you're going to run into next. The only downside is that the final acts of the game don't live up to the earlier stages, and if they had then this could have found itself in my top 10.

VGChartz