By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

milkyjoe said:

33. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)

A Mario game where Mario isn't the star, in fact, he's quite annoying. Instead it's Yoshi's time to shine as the various types of Yoshi are tasked with reuniting Baby Mario with Baby Luigi and taking them back to the stork who will deliver them to their parents. Every time Yoshi gets hit by an enemy, Baby Mario falls off his back and starts crying until you pick him up again, but despite that annoyance, it's a refreshing take on the traditional 2D Mario experience. Gone are most of the powerups, instead you occasionally get the opportunity to have Yoshi transform into a car or a helicopter, or have Baby Mario run up walls while invincible. So whilst it's obviously different to what had come before it, it's a fantastic game more than worthy of a place in my list.

Yet another game that hasn't seen a Virtual Console release and it's a damn shame! I really wanna play it again.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

Yet another game that hasn't seen a Virtual Console release and it's a damn shame! I really wanna play it again.

Did you happen to pick up a 3DS in the first six months?  Or you can grab a DS Lite and fire up the GBA version.  Should be pretty cheap.

d21lewis said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Did you happen to pick up a 3DS in the first six months?  Or you can grab a DS Lite and fire up the GBA version.  Should be pretty cheap.

I'm not a big fan of handhelds but it seems it's either that or a ROM.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

I'm not a big fan of handhelds but it seems it's either that or a ROM.

Personally, I prefer playing older games on a handheld.  The smaller screen masks a lot of their shortcomings.  But if you want to take your chances with this.......

Lucky for me I did not run into as many glitches as other people but it was such a huge game with a lot of improvments over Fallout 3 it was easy to get lost in the world of this game making this is a easy choice for top 50 ever.

Around the Network

#35) Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS/PS3)

This is how platformers should have transitioned into 3D. Not get turned into collect-a-thons.

Running with Wii Sports Resort as my 33. Surprising depth in there

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Running with Wii Sports Resort as my 33. Surprising depth in there

I could play archery for hours. I'm very glad Skyward Sword went with that motion setup.

As for DKR, the game could be really unfair in certain parts for sure. Bosses were totally cheap (especially the Dragon boss...)

33. God of War (PS2)

The first God of War game on my list. This game was really epic, especially the boss battles, and it made me a fan of the Hack&Slash genre.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

#33. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)

After the nonsensical (but still fun to play) Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater felt like Kojima had learned from his mistake and gave us a wonderful game with a less convoluted plot and put us back in control of Snake (well not the same Snake as MGS1 but they have the same DNA so I'd say it's close enough). From the weird fight with The Pain to the stressful confrontation with The End to the emotion filled battle with The Boss, the game's boss battles are amazing, always challenging you to defeat your opponent in a new way.

The series' gameplay continued with its traditional stealth focus but added the camouflage feature where you could change clothes and face paint to hide yourself better depending on the type of terrain you were hiding on. It was a welcome addition to the gameplay and I really wish they hadn't dumbed it down in MGS4. The game also had you hunting for food this time around to keep Snake healthy and ready for battle. There's nothing like chewing on a cold uncooked snake to satisfy your appetite.

As a side note, the game has an intro song à la James Bond but I never really listened to it because I always replace it in my head with a modified version of Shirley Bassey's Goldfinger over it when it play. (SNAAAAAAKE Eater! He's the man, the man who eats snakes).

Signature goes here!