By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

34 Blade Runner played on PC, released 1997

An excellent adventure game. The atmosphere is amazing straight from the opening scene. The Blade runner universe is long overdue for another game although Deus Ex Human revolution comes close.
The game featured real-time 3D characters for the first time. The gameplay mainly consisted of detective work comparable to the FBI agent from Heavy rain. While you attempt to solve the crimes you compete with AI controlled characters doing their own investigations along side you. Next to finding clues and the occasional action scene, you are conducting interrogations on suspects and try to expose them using the  Voight-Kampf test. Your actions determine what happens next and which of the 12 possible endings you ultimately get.

This game deserves a HD remake or at least an update so it can run on modern hardware. Just look at what it could look like next gen.

List

Around the Network

34. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

It's Indiana Jones with more guns and explosions. This was in my top 10 last year, but a recent play through in preparation for eventually getting U3 brought me to re-evaluate it. It's still a fantastic game, but some of the set pieces lose their ability to wow when you're playing through them for the second or third time, and when I consider some of the other games in my top 10, which I love as much today as I did the first time I played them, I had to drop it down the list.

VGChartz

Batman: Ark-ham City, Assassin Creed and God of War are some of the most amazing games i have ever played this year.

God, these threads are hard to locate sometimes.

Pokemon Pearl clocks in at number 34. The second mainline Pokemon game on my list

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Sure it was not good as the first one but it was still a amazing game.

#36) Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves

Bentley was more fun when he wasn't of the handicapped variety, and the lack of clue bottles was a bummer, but in turn, Sly 3 has some nice multiplayer modes, a much-needed mission select feature, and a few new characters that are fun to play as. (Does not include Penelope or Dimitri) The game also breaks the tradition of having a huge drop-off in quality around halfway in. (Vicious Voodoo in Thievius Raccoonus and Jailbreak in Band of Thieves)

Carmelita's voice actress is all over the place, though. It's like she can't decide between an American accent and (what I think is supposed to sound like) a Spanish accent, so she flip-flops between the two throughout the entire game.

34. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (NGC)

The second MGS and only GameCube game on my list. I'm glad this remake exists because I never had a chance to play the original.
The story and presentation were really amazing, and it definitely deserves to be on my list.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Time to catch up a little. All this talk about 5th gen game and where they belong makes me want to show my next game.

37. Mario Party (N64)

I don't know about you, but I actually prefer to play video games with friends. N64 being the first 4 player system was an instant sale to me, and that alone made the N64 a better system to me then PS1 ever could have been. Mario Party was a very unusual spinoff for a Nintendo franchise, but you know what? It was fun as hell. I still get together with my friends on a semi regular basis to play the classic N64 Mario Party's and have pizza and beer. This game was particularly better then most of the other Mario Party's because it has a single player campaign mode. However, this isn't the best Mario Party. Some of the mini games required you to spin the analog stick extremly fast (you almost have to go into a seizure to win some games), and this game is the only game to have killed a Nintendo controller of mine. Give it to Nintendo to make reliable systems, the analog stick was literally being grinded to dust (Can't say the same about PS or especially MS reliability in consoles/controllers). That's how intense the shy guy game and river rafting game were, every time you played it, you would immediatly rip a layer of skin off. All in all, this was a great, and fun as hell game. It would have been the best Mario Party without those silly mini games, but overall Nintendo has ruined this franchise as of late. Shame..

36. Super Mario Kart (SNES)

I never liked Mario Games on the NES. They were too straight forward, too serious, and most of the time only 1 player, even Super Mario World (SNES) I found boring. Super Mario Kart was the game that started to give the Mario franchise some character, and it was one of the games that brought me into video gaming and made me a Nintendo fanboy. Nothing is funner then bringing a bunch of friends over and chucking pixilated shells at them, well unless that shell or banana makes them slide into open water on an ice level. This is one of my favorite games of all time, and honestly It would likely have placed higher if I didn't just play this as a kid. Playing this now, it's till fun as heck and challenging too, not like Mario Kart now. Wining a race on one of two rainbow roads, or a banshee boardwalk level was a rewarding feat. However the levels were all essentially flat, and the limitations of the SNES limited level design, so this Mario Kart has improved since this game. Still it's always nice picking this up and playing it once in a while to see where one of Nintendo best franchises, if not best franchise (sales AND quality) began.

P.S. These Retro banners make me want to add one of my favorite games ever as my sig. Maybe I will when I get there.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Jeeze... who's in charge of this thing? Slacking on updating... (Sorry about that...)

Anywho... catching up!

#40: Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
Release Date: April 26, 1999

Remember when I was talking about how I'm not a huge fan of the traditional fighting genre? Well that still holds true, because when Super Smash Bros. came onto the scene, it was nothing like the fighting games that gamers were familiar with. When you get hit, instead of your health going down, it goes up! And the higher your "health" gets, the farther you fly when you're struck again. This change in pace was refreshing and fun... but what really made this game go above and beyond was its roster. Nintendo's stable of fantastic characters were pitted against one other in a duel to the death, and it turned out just as zany, crazy, and chaotic as you'd think it would be. This game was the start of something special, and nothing beat the 4 player multiplayer fun that this game provided. SUPAAAH SMAAAASH BROOOOOOTHERS!

Main: Link
Best Move: Jigglypuff's "Rest". Fear the Puff.

#39: Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube)
Release Date: August 25, 2002

Super Mario Sunshine is the "Super Mario Bros. 2" (aka Doki Doki Panic) of the 3D Mario games. With a totally new setting devoid of any classic Mario monuments (Sorry Koopas and Goombas) and very different platforming rules thanks to Mario's doo-hickey device F.L.U.D.D., the game almost feels like it got the StarFox Adventures treatment: an idea for a new IP is instead transformed into an adventure for a tried and true Nintendo character. However, just because Super Mario Sunshine is different from the rest, doesn't mean is was a dud. In fact, the game felt incredibly fresh and fun, and FLUDD (sorry, too lazy to instert the periods) led to some great platforming moments! Still, I find it ironic that the game's best moments are when Mario finds himself FLUDD-less and has to rely on his own skills to traverse some mind-bending levels. I also miss the more varied level designs of previous (and later) Mario games, as Isle Delfino really only offers one type of terrain: Island Paradise. No Ice levels, no castles, no airships... just... Island Paradise. And yet despite all my bickering, the game is still great... and that's why it's #39.

Favorite Mission: The one where you have to destroy the Manta Ray shadow. Sooo much fun.
Hate: Hunting for Blue Coins

#38: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
Release Date: October 21, 2008

Gotta get this off my chest: Shanoa is gorgeous. Absolutely my biggest video game crush. Oh Shanoa... *ahem* Anywho! Yes! Order of Ecclesia is the latest Castlevania game from legendary video game designer Koji Igarashi. And now that I've played every single Castlevania game made by Iga, I've come to the conclusion that Order of the Ecclesia is the best one yet (Symphony just missed the top 50! Don't hurt me!). Brilliant hand drawn pixel graphics, pitch perfect controls, a *ahem* beautiful protagonist, and fantastic music make it another great game in the series, but what really sets it apart is its slight focus to a more linear design. Don't get me wrong, I love exploring the world of Castlevania and finding every secret in its nooks and crannies (which is still present in OoE), but with a slightly more linear level design at the beginning, there are some fanastic action to be had, and the bosses are some of the best yet. As you can tell, I love the Castlevania series, and Order of Ecclesia is my favorite of the bunch. Incredible game.

Favorite Boss: Eligor
Please Iga: Announce a traditional Castlevania game for the 3DS!

@Rol

Glad to see OoE on your list. Fantastic game.

@Machina

But it's RE! It's supposed to be campy and stuff! (Seriously though, nice choice. RE4 Wii is fantastic).