By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

Sure not as good as one but still a damn good RPG game.

Halo Wars is a good call and great game. If this list went to 60 I would have it somewhere in there. I still play online now and then maybe we face off sometime though I am not as good as I am in the real Halo.

Around the Network

#29 Super Mario Galaxy played on Wii, released 2007

This is my most played mario game. The level design is great and very inventive and it's a lot of fun to play. The controls are perfect and the artsyle a joy to look at. It definitely deserved all the high praise it got.
I do have to admit though that I lost interest a short way into Super mario galaxy 2. It's just as good as the first one but other games were more addictive at the time. At least I always know I can get back to it anytime when I get burned out on buggy HD games. No dificult controls to remember and no plot to keep track of means you can always pick it back up and play without any problems.
These kind of games will be a perfect fit for the WiiU controller, switch to play on the controller when the toddler insists on watching the same Diego episodes for the 100th time.

List

29. inFamous (PS3)

Its' story was very intriguing, the gameplay was great and the karma system was awesome too. One of my favourite games of 2009.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

29. Doom (PC)

I don't think I really need to say much about this, because everybody should know what Doom is (if you don't, where the hell have you been?). It wasn't the first FPS game as some people mistakenly think it is, but it was one of the earliest and was definitely the game that popularised the genre. It was also a bloody good game.

VGChartz

32. Zelda: Twilight Princess - Wii (34 last year):

08/12/2006 has to be one of the best days in gaming IMO; not only was it the European release day for a new Nintendo home console, it saw a new 3d Zelda.  Unlike many, I didn't and still don't think this game disapointed at all.  I loved the setting and art style, probably tied with WW for my favourite in a Zelda game.  The characters were fantastic and the music was typically awesome for Zelda.  While the motion controls probably feel limited and primitive compared to Skyward Sword, but they felt fantastic back in late 2006.

31. Super Mario Advance 4/Super Mario Bros 3 - GBA (26 last year):

While I've always prefered Super Mario World to SMB3, this game is seen by many as the perfect platformer.  I've been meaning to replay it for a while now and will as soon as it is made available to download on the 3DS as part of the ambassador program.

Around the Network

#29 Wipeout 2097

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I love Sim games. Honestly I could put five different Sim games like I could of with Halo too in my list but instead I will put one and the best one in my opinion. Sims 3 on PC did the most right for the series.

#30. Battletoads (NES)

This game is a great example of near perfect level design and creativity. For me, it started a love affair with Rare that lasted until the N64 days.

There's only 12 stages, not one of them like the others, there is always something new coming your way: rats you kick the crap out of, birds trying to cut your rope, high speed racing while dodging fast incoming walls, slippery slopes, whirlpools, riding giants snakes, flying a plane through fire and lightning, fighting a trigger happy robot, getting savagely beaten by very nasty ducks, racing a rat to be the first to kick a bomb, being pursued by a giant ball with on a unicycle and finally climbing up a huge tower to get to the final fight with the Dark Queen.

This could be achieved relatively quickly if it wasn't for the fact that the game is completely unforgiving and very very hard. You die quite easily in Battletoads, spikes, flames, high speed collisions, deadly pits, a boss jumping on your head all of those things kill you instantly. It is because of that high difficulty that it took several years before I was able to successfully get through the game (without using any warp zones) and I've only managed to do it once. 

Thanks to the great diversity in the level design, I never got tired of playing that game no matter how often I was sent back to the title screen.

Signature goes here!

#29. Mega Man 2 (NES, VC)

My first Mega Man game and lucky me it was the best Mega Man ever made! I played and finished this game countless times in both the normal and hard modes. Most of the time I would start by killing Metal Man so I could get the best boss weapon ever: the Metal Blade. While other weapons had to be used very sparingly (crash bombs I'm looking at you) the metal blade's meter would go down very slowly and you could shoot the things in all directions.

Also worth mentionning is the game's memorable music like the intro song, the bouncy tune from Crash Man's stage  or the famous music from Dr. Willy's Castle music.

Signature goes here!

29 is Mario Kart Wii. Objectively far better than Mario Kart 64 which is further up the list, but again there's a nostalgia loss here. Kart Wii is definitely more memorable and more fun than Double Dash or DS, however

Interested in seeing how Kart 7 stacks up...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.