By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

48 - MegaMan X (SNES, PSP)

I actually couldn't chose between Megaman X, X3, or X4, so I simply went with the one I spent the most time on since it's the oldest; thus making it my most nostalgic favorite. think about it, it's the same forumla that worked for Megaman so well, but with more powerups, heart tanks, armor, better graphics, better music, and deeper bosses. Now if only they'd listen to me about doing a prospective Megaman X-9, they could have a REAL winner on their hands! (seriously, asl me more).

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

#47: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube)
Release Date: October 17, 2005

Believe it or not, it was actually my (now) Xbox 360 playin', FPS lovin', Call of Duty fanatic brother who first got into Fire Emblem (before I even heard of it). So when Path of Radiance released on the GameCube, he convinced me to buy the game and give it a try... and I instantly fell in love with the game. Whether it was the easy to play, difficult to master gameplay (which was tough as nails, even on easy), the fantastic cast of characters (really, I actually came to care about these guys, so of course I had to reset every time someone died), or the wonderfully engaging story, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance had it all (even cat-girls!). With this game, I was introduced to the wonderful world of Fire Emblem, and for that I am very thankful.

Favorite Character: Ilyana
Favorite Villain: The Black Knight

#47) Lylat Wars (N64/VC)

And I mean Lylat Wars. Not Star Fox 64. Why is it such a big deal, you ask? Because in Lylat Wars you can toggle off that ear-piercing voice acting, that's why! The alternative is admittedly not much better, but it beats listening to Slippy.

Anyhow, Lylat Wars is a quality arcade-style rail shooter. If it wasn't so damn easy, the game could be a lot higher. (that out-of-place seabed tour didn't help much either)

RolStoppable said:

Believe it or not, but the only reason why I gave Fire Emblem a chance was the Gamecube drought. I had read good reviews of the GBA game, but refrained from trying it, because the reviewers pointed out some unpleasant things like annoying micro-management (forced to buy stuff on the maps), perma-deaths and high difficulty. With JRPGs generally being a mixed bag, I just passed on the series.

I am not sure why you like Ilyana though. Probably just because of her personality. Her stat growth is quite messed up for a mage, with strength and defense rising at better rates than the stats that are more important.

I would have never thought that about you Rol, glad to see that PoR made the two of us fans.

And yes, I love the character of Ilyana more than her absurd strength growth.

Her post-game narrative still makes me smile: Somewhere out there, Ilyana is still hungry.

Korppi said:

#47) Lylat Wars (N64/VC)

And I mean Lylat Wars. Not Star Fox 64. Why is it such a big deal, you ask? Because in Lylat Wars you can toggle off that ear-piercing voice acting, that's why! The alternative is admittedly not much better, but it beats listening to Slippy.

Anyhow, Lylat Wars is a quality arcade-style rail shooter. If it wasn't so damn easy, the game could be a lot higher. (that out-of-place seabed tour didn't help much either)

What are you talking about? The voice acting is one of the best part of Star Fox 64. Yes Slippy is annoying but you get gems from Peppy like the very popular "Do a Barrel Roll" or "Use the boost to get through" or Star Wolf's "Can't let you do that Star Fox"

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

47. Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion (3DS)

A Super Smash Bros. clone featuring a variety of my favorite cartoons. The game is filled with little details that fans will enjoy. Unfortunately, the game suffers from wonky physics, and a short campaign mode. This is definitely a game only the fans will enjoy.

Warrior of Light #66

"I'm not illiterate, my parents were married!"

3DS FC: 2878 9589 2016

RolStoppable said:
Smeags said:

I would have never thought that about you Rol, glad to see that PoR made the two of us fans.

And yes, I love the character of Ilyana more than her absurd strength growth.

Her post-game narrative still makes me smile: Somewhere out there, Ilyana is still hungry.

The one point I disagree with when it comes to PoR is that it's a difficult game. This only holds true for Fire Emblem newbies, but once you got the hang of it, it's really no problem at all. Why? Because the Western version of PoR got simplified. Japan's hard mode got scratched and an easy mode that nets you 50 % more experience points got added. If Nintendo ever decides to re-release the PoR and RD combo, I hope that they will give us PoR's hard mode.

That's if Nintendo ever decides to release another Fire Emblem again outside of Japan... (here's hoping for the 3DS game!)

Also, i was aware that you could unlock all the Super Mario Kart tracks on Super Circuit, and i did just that, but Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit were just too foreign to me...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

MRKs said:
Great choices! NBA Jam was a blast to play. Double Dragon was excellent, even today to me is a great game.

#47 : Parasite Eve (PSX): A survival horror set in a modern day New York with elements of RPG? Count me in. This game is great, it was so difficult to me (I was a kid...kind of) but anyway Eve was so evil and sexy(? The story got me hooked a lot even though I lose my save like 4 times before I finished the game.

I got stuck in that game a couple hours in. Just didn't know where to go, I killed everyone in the area, and there was no continuing path, or unlocked area, so I put the game down and never continued. ;-(

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

RolStoppable said:
Smeags said:

#47: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube)
Release Date: October 17, 2005

Believe it or not, it was actually my (now) Xbox 360 playin', FPS lovin', Call of Duty fanatic brother who first got into Fire Emblem (before I even heard of it). So when Path of Radiance released on the GameCube, he convinced me to buy the game and give it a try... and I instantly fell in love with the game. Whether it was the easy to play, difficult to master gameplay (which was tough as nails, even on easy), the fantastic cast of characters (really, I actually came to care about these guys, so of course I had to reset every time someone died), or the wonderfully engaging story, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance had it all (even cat-girls!). With this game, I was introduced to the wonderful world of Fire Emblem, and for that I am very thankful.

Favorite Character: Ilyana
Favorite Villain: The Black Knight

Believe it or not, but the only reason why I gave Fire Emblem a chance was the Gamecube drought. I had read good reviews of the GBA game, but refrained from trying it, because the reviewers pointed out some unpleasant things like annoying micro-management (forced to buy stuff on the maps), perma-deaths and high difficulty. With JRPGs generally being a mixed bag, I just passed on the series.

Having bought Path of Radiance changed my mind about the series and I immediately bought Fire Emblem 7 and 8 for the GBA afterwards. The negative side-effect was that from this point on all other SRPGs became complete and utter garbage, because Fire Emblem is that much better. It requires actual strategy, because you can't rely on Bauernopfer tactics and grinding (well, FE8 allows you to grind which obviously makes it a bad FE).

I am not sure why you like Ilyana though. Probably just because of her personality. Her stat growth is quite messed up for a mage, with strength and defense rising at better rates than the stats that are more important.

Fire Emblem will do that to you. I started on FE7, and man I love this series. Only got into it because I heard it was so similar to Advance Wars, and I only picked up Advance Wars because Kirby was so short, and I was on vacation and wanted something for the long carpool home.

There are other good SRPG's, none as good as Fire Ebmlem, but some come close. Front Mission 4 for PS2 is probably better then Fire Emblem for Gamecube, but near the end of the game, there is significantly more micro managing. However, no perma deaths, you just pay a penatly for people dying, so it's worth keeping people alive.

Also with Front Mission, since you pilot mechs instead of people, parts can break (arms, legs, or torso). If the torso goes your dead, but if you loose an arm you loose a weapon and a means to defend, if you loose legs, you can't move as far, and dodging significantly decreases, and you can equip different mechs (or wanzers) with long range missles, shields, battons, brass knuckles, maschine guns, rifles, and even large clubs lol. Generally Front Mission isn't as simplistic as Fire Emblem, but FM4 for PS2 is still legitimatly a goos SRPG, in case your Fire Emblem starved.

Front Mission for the DS is a SNES port, so it's a bit dated. Probably too complicated, so if you try FM, try FM4 for PS2.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

46: Brian Lara (Shane Warne in AUS) Cricket PsOne

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?