By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

F1 2009 is my 46th place... 2nd Wii game and second racer.

Around the Network

49. Yu-Gi-Oh! The Duelists of the Roses (PS2) - One of the major factors in deciding whether or not a game made the top 50 was how much time i've spent on it and how much fun I had. I've probably spent $1000 on Yu-gi-oh cards over the years and my stupid brothers didn't want to play a lot. That's where this game comes in. There are definately better Yu-Gi-Oh! video games out there, but this was my first one and I put some ridiculous hours into it, so that's why it makes the list.

48. Dragonball Z: The Legacy of Goku (GBA) - These games were like a DBZ RPG and seeing as how I love both of those things this game was sure to be awesome for me. You had an attack button and an energy blast button pretty much and you could switch through your moves with the triggers. The fights were in real time and you even had worlds to explore and items to find. You followed through the main storyline just like every other DBZ game but this time you were also fighting squirrels, snakes, dinosaurs.... it was awesome!

47. Portal 2 (PS3/ PC) - I joined the original Portal party a bit late... last year in fact. I finally got tired of hearing "It's a 2 hour game" and "The cake is a lie". I'm glad I gave in cause it blew me away how refreshing it was. Portal 2 expanded on that even more! I loved how GLaDOS was more life like, her constant barrages of insults and Wheately were hilarious. They really made me want to keep playing. And even after the story I've played a bunch with my friends in the co-op mode. XD the amount of times we'd screw up and get the other killed or figuring out the puzzles were some good times.

Also the breakdown of my list into console gens:

1 - Arcade

4 - 4th Gen

16 - 5th Gen

12 - 6th Gen

17 - 7th Gen

I started trading games in and getting an allowance in the 5th gen. Near the end of the 6th gen i started working. And i've been working throughout 7th gen. So that's why the bulk of my list is there. I got to experience more cause i could buy games myself.

Hmm, my generation breakdown is roughly:

5th: 13
6th: 17/18
7th: 19/20

The few PC games in the list all handily fit into 6th gen. I didn't own a console during the 4th gen, though when 5th gen was in it's stride (about 96) I bought a MegaDrive, moving onto N64 in 99... and a GameCube 2 days after the European launch in 02. I sold the MD to help pay for the N64, so I didn't really get to experience much of it, only buying 4 Micro Machines games (which were awesome, I wish there was a modern equivalent, or that 1 would appear on VC) and a Lotus racing game (which was terrible)
I have also got Sonic, Sonic 3 and F-Zero on VC, but they are mostly too dated for my liking (I don't regret getting Sonic 1 though, that still has some charm)

From the 3rd gen I have SMB:Lost Levels and Galaga '90. Both on VC... SMB platforming is probably never going to feel too dated, though in retrospect I wish i'd got SMB3 instead of Lost Levels. I wish I hadn't bothered at all with Galaga.

Oops, sorry, I'm a few days late.
Anyway, I'll start to do my list now

Better Late...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
TWRoO said:

The few PC games in the list all handily fit into 6th gen. I didn't own a console during the 4th gen, though when 5th gen was in it's stride (about 96) I bought a MegaDrive, moving onto N64 in 99... and a GameCube 2 days after the European launch in 02. I sold the MD to help pay for the N64, so I didn't really get to experience much of it, only buying 4 Micro Machines games (which were awesome, I wish there was a modern equivalent, or that 1 would appear on VC) and a Lotus racing game (which was terrible)
I have also got Sonic, Sonic 3 and F-Zero on VC, but they are mostly too dated for my liking (I don't regret getting Sonic 1 though, that still has some charm)

From the 3rd gen I have SMB:Lost Levels and Galaga '90. Both on VC... SMB platforming is probably never going to feel too dated, though in retrospect I wish i'd got SMB3 instead of Lost Levels. I wish I hadn't bothered at all with Galaga.

Nothing at all from the 4th gen? Wow, that's shocking. 4th gen is my favorite, and the SNES constantly gets best console ever made awards (IGN in particular consistantly rank it #1, but with the number of quality of games this gen, I wouldn't be surprised if it's over taken)

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
TWRoO said:

Nothing at all from the 4th gen? Wow, that's shocking. 4th gen is my favorite, and the SNES constantly gets best console ever made awards (IGN in particular consistantly rank it #1, but with the number of quality of games this gen, I wouldn't be surprised if it's over taken)

As I said, I didn't get to spend much time with the megadrive, and my time with a real SNES is small and scattered: About 20 minutes of Super Mario Kart (battle mode) on a friends brothers console, A few minutes on a different friends SNES playing Donkey Kong Country, must have been around '94 as he moved to Canada the next school year. And maybe 20 minutes of Super Mario World on a cousins console.
So in total i've spent less than an hour on a real SNES, and 2 hours of F-Zero on VC (which with hindsight I would not have bought)

There are two games I have considered getting: Super Metroid and LoZ: ALttP.... but going back to 2D in series I started playing in 3D feels wrong, though I think it's more to do with control rather than the lost dimension... I can't stand being restricted to moving in only 8 directions. In addition to that, I would have to get the GC controller out for SNES games, and the shoulder buttons don't match (GC using analogue triggers).

#46 The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I still think that linking the two oracle games was a bad idea. Subrosia was a good idea but it became boring after a while. The best part of this game is using seasons to progress and reach new areas in the overworld.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

#46 Heart of Darkness played on Playstation, released 1998

Part of an underrepresented genre, a beautifully made cinematic platformer with a great orchestral score to back up the action. Following in the tradition of Another world and Flashback. The only recent game in this genre is Limbo, which was a bit too much style over substance for me. The game's only drawback was it's short length, but it was all quality over quantity. There was plenty of variety in gameplay and puzzles on your journey to confront the master of darkness. It was a lot of fun to play together, taking turns to get through the difficult sections. Not many games nowadays are just as fun to watch someone else play. I would love to see a modern take on a full budget cinematic platformer backed up by a team like Naughty dog. Until then I'm looking forward to the HD remake of Oddworld's Abe Oddysee.

List

46. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP)

Although it's not as good as KH and KH2 it was still an enjoyable experience. However, the story was a bit weird.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3