By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears 3 Not nominated for VGA’s Game of The Year

Who cares?

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Around the Network

I find it odd that games that aren't yet released are even being considered.

Then again, this awards show sucks and I don't care about it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I'm confused, aren't the VGA's voted on by Spike's readers? Or are they actually decided by people who have access to these games like Zelda and Skyrim? I assumed that they were voted on by viewers when I saw Cole Train win best voice acting the first time I saw those awards.

Huh, two games arent out yet but are nominated.

Id say either Batman or Skyrim wins

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I just wish Dark souls was on there :(

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

My GOTY is either Gears 3 or Batman: AC. It doesn't matter to me if neither of those games got nominated or not, it's only my personal opinion I should be worried about.

cliffy, your deluded mate.

Maybe the VGAs are trying to portray themselves as the awards for "real gamers" with these nominations. Previously they would pick two games with ridiculous metacritics and then round it off with the big holiday sellers. This year they pretty much ignored what will be the four best selling games of the year. Assassins Creed Revelations, Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3, MW3. They included skyrim only because it is a big seller that I guess they assume will also have ridiculously high critical reviews.

Or maybe since the goal of the nominations is to attract the most viewers, they picked the games that they believe would attract the most viewers. Portal 2 and Skyrim would get PC gamers. Zelda would get Wii gamers. Skyrim and Arkham City would get the 360 gamers. Uncharted 3 and Arkham City would get the ps3 gamers. They ignored the blockbuster holiday titles because the majority of people who buy those games aren't the target audience for a video game award show. 

No Dark Soul's or The Witcher 2 but yet two unreleased games are on the nomination list.

This is why the VGA hold no credibility. I only watch it for new game announcements/trailers.

Perhaps they judge candidates based on the critical reception of the industry, if you look at Metacritic:

Uncharted 3 rests on a 93, Portal 2 on a 95 and Batman: AC on a 96.

Gears is lower than all of them.

That said, the inclusion of two games that haven't released yet kind of shoots down that point, and despite the fact that many posters are already claiming them to be GOTY material, it's a bit odd.