By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft - 1981 to 2011 gaming division profits chart

And Nintendo is still finding ways to profit. They've had like 1 or 2 years of no profit out of like 30 plus. They are an extremely small and efficient company. They may not massive studios that are able to pump out huge games that sell tens of millions very often, but because of their smallness and how successful their games usually are they are able to stay in the green. Sony and particularly Microsoft could learn a lot from Nintendo about how to stay profitable even during the bad times.

Around the Network

Hard to believe, what happened in 2009?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Its shockign to see Nintendo above Sony during the GC/PS2 era

jason1637 said:
Its shockign to see Nintendo above Sony during the GC/PS2 era

The GBA had excellent sales in its own right, it could have reached 100m units if the DS hadn't appeared so early.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

kowenicki said:
Still peddling this? Really?

Provide more "accurate" numbers if you believe they are incorrect. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

How in the world did Sony manage red with the PS4 out? The only thing that sold better in gaming history was the Wii.

Dulfite said:
And Nintendo is still finding ways to profit. They've had like 1 or 2 years of no profit out of like 30 plus. They are an extremely small and efficient company. They may not massive studios that are able to pump out huge games that sell tens of millions very often, but because of their smallness and how successful their games usually are they are able to stay in the green. Sony and particularly Microsoft could learn a lot from Nintendo about how to stay profitable even during the bad times.

They're secret is to set themselves apart from the console wars by not being in competition with the other companies. Xbox vs Playstation? Who cares, they all have 3DS's. 

Azuren said:
How in the world did Sony manage red with the PS4 out? The only thing that sold better in gaming history was the Wii.

PS4 wasnt out in 2011

Hard to believe Sony made less money in gaming than MS since the launch of PS4.

Are the MS figures just gaming division or do they include other stuff? As it is, it looks like MS selling less hardware and software still has them performing better financially.

Conegamer said:
retroking1981 said:
I think this tread should be kept updated.

Are the FY2012 available? It would be interesting to see how they all finished that year. It was Nintendos 1st in the red right?

Yeah, first year they were in the red. I'd imagine it won't happen again for this year, though.

They returned to profitability this year so they were in the red from 2012-2014