By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I am starting to miss last gen

Seeing as this generation brought us a Platformer Renaissance, I'm totally digging things thus far.

I mean, we're getting a full 2D Rayman and another 2D Kirby in the upcoming months, along with a 2D/3D Sonic Hybrid. What's not to love? :D

Around the Network

another note, is stay out of the internet , the forum goers are just going to brag about graphics, since thats what they do most of the times, they don't actually "Play" the games , so thats why no one likes fun games around this place.

RolStoppable said:

That this will be shortlived, perhaps. I miss this gen. I miss how it started out. I miss the hope for a better future. We'll be going straight back to the chase for horsepower and all that crap that holds back gaming.

I'm also somewhat concerned for the next generation and the role of console Platformers (even 3D ones). As much as Live/WiiWare/PSN were great for smaller 2D platformers like Limbo and Super Meat Boy, it also created a mentality that all 2D platformers should be relegated to downloadable distribution. The biggest casualty to this was Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (The game could have been huge as a full-game retail prduct. Huge! And here we are still waiting for Part 2).

Luckily New Super Mario Bros. Wii proved that the genre was far from obsolete, and without it I doubt we'd see games like Rayman or Kirby's Return to Dreamland (as both go for the 2D platformer with 4 player co-op) on the shelves.

I'm really hoping that New Super Mario Bros. Mii (the Wii U demo) turns out to be more than a demo. If Wii U can launch with such a game under its belt and does well (and I don't doubt it'll do well), the hopefully 3rd parties (and Nintendo itself) will continue to push this genre into the spotlight (which isn't the download scene just yet...).

The reason Japan has dropped the ball as it were is because the level of craftsmanship has gone down so dramatically there. Just about every Japanese developer is pretty much headed by seniors that can't produce good games anymore. Either they forgot how to make new content or forgot how to make interesting content. I say, the 50/60something gods of Japanese game development should step down and let the younger guys that played the original and know why they're enjoyed so much take over.

Pixel Art can be fun.

i miss last gen and the previous gen before that at times, guess that is why my games i am making are using things i loved from the previous 2 gens and a few things from this gen ( lost odyssey, mainly i just love that damn game ). i prefer story and gameplay the most, graphics are 3 on my list and always will be.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

Nastalgic gamers are so annoying. If you really want to play last generation consoles, then go play one and stop complaining. This gen is better than last gen overall by a longshot. Better games/arcade games, consoles, online, graphics, and better innovations.

I think devs this gen are more focused on the visuals and trying to get a narrative of some sort in their game, but they don't succeed as much as they would like. I think games in the PS1 and SNES eras were much simpler, because they concentrated on making the game fun (IMO). But, it's not like I don't have fun with the games this gen, because I do, but it was just much simpler back then. I think the PS1 and PS2 eras were my favorite because of the amount of RPGs and platformers present.

smroadkill15 said:
Nastalgic gamers are so annoying. If you really want to play last generation consoles, then go play one and stop complaining. This gen is better than last gen overall by a longshot. Better games/arcade games, consoles, online, graphics, and better innovations.

this is true as well.

Smeags said:
RolStoppable said:

That this will be shortlived, perhaps. I miss this gen. I miss how it started out. I miss the hope for a better future. We'll be going straight back to the chase for horsepower and all that crap that holds back gaming.

I'm also somewhat concerned for the next generation and the role of console Platformers (even 3D ones). As much as Live/WiiWare/PSN were great for smaller 2D platformers like Limbo and Super Meat Boy, it also created a mentality that all 2D platformers should be relegated to downloadable distribution. The biggest casualty to this was Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (The game could have been huge as a full-game retail prduct. Huge! And here we are still waiting for Part 2).

Luckily New Super Mario Bros. Wii proved that the genre was far from obsolete, and without it I doubt we'd see games like Rayman or Kirby's Return to Dreamland (as both go for the 2D platformer with 4 player co-op) on the shelves.

I'm really hoping that New Super Mario Bros. Mii (the Wii U demo) turns out to be more than a demo. If Wii U can launch with such a game under its belt and does well (and I don't doubt it'll do well), the hopefully 3rd parties (and Nintendo itself) will continue to push this genre into the spotlight (which isn't the download scene just yet...).

I would have to respectfully disagree, Sonic isnt as big as he used to be, not even close. Too much bad games over the years have sullied his name. Also his games are not that long to begin with. I can beat the average Sonic game(2d) in less than 2 hours, are people really going to pay 50-60 for 2 hours of gameplay?? People already complain games are too short. I know people will say look at Mario and DK, but those are Ninty guys, you can defecate in a box and slap Mario's name on it and it will still sell well.  The real test will be Rayman Origins, and IMHO that game will flop, hard.  Damn shame too, because i am a fan of that franchise I still play the original once in a blue

I LOVE this gen lol, but I do see where you're coming from.