By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I am starting to miss last gen

VGKing said:
I disagree. The best-selling games this gen ARE NOT focused on graphics. Here's some examples
-Wii Sports
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Call of Duty

i'll except the first 2 but COD has no redeeming qualities. IMHO is sucks.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

your right. i missed out on allot of great games in the 7th gen, but the ones i did play were more about the environment v the graphics.

gameplay and story over graphics everytime. S.T.A.G.E.? i miss having more game! will we ever get it back?

also this is one of the best threads this month.

I really don't believe we'll see a golden age of gaming coming unless the Japanese come into the picture equal to the western devs. Both need to be at the top of their game so we can see ourselves and our collections grow and see value in those games tomorrow as we did in yesteryear. Western games are fun but have a trade off of massive technicality where its nearly robotoic and emotionless. The Japanese are lagging in making the large amount of great games they made last gen, but if they can equate themselves next gen to the glory they had then we will have graphics, story, gameplay and most of all variety and fun. Thanks to western devs like media molecule and other small devs we're seeing something different, but those games are highly underrated. Cultural takes from all around the world are welcome and the games are the filter through which such things happen. You can see it in the way the games are made. Thanks for the compliment. It's just something thats been weighing on my mind heavily.

so true!

compliment? you know i've always liked your work. and if you didn't know. i'm telling you now.

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

I would have to respectfully disagree, Sonic isnt as big as he used to be, not even close. Too much bad games over the years have sullied his name. Also his games are not that long to begin with. I can beat the average Sonic game(2d) in less than 2 hours, are people really going to pay 50-60 for 2 hours of gameplay?? People already complain games are too short. I know people will say look at Mario and DK, but those are Ninty guys, you can defecate in a box and slap Mario's name on it and it will still sell well.  The real test will be Rayman Origins, and IMHO that game will flop, hard.  Damn shame too, because i am a fan of that franchise I still play the original once in a blue

If you are going to respectfully disagree, then try to be respectful.

Sonic can still pull off huge numbers. If all those bad games really were that bad, then the brand would be worthless by now, but that's not the case. Sega's mistake with Sonic 4 wasn't only that they opted for a downloadable game, but also for iOS as the lead platform.

Then you completely ignore that there is no rule that a proper new Sonic game must be restricted to having only as many levels as the games from almost 20 years ago or the handheld titles. 2D games never really got the chance to evolve, because the advent of polygon graphics put a sudden end to them. Look at NSMB Wii and DKCR; the former has about the same amount of levels as the old games, but they are considerably longer and multiplayer adds a lot of replay value to the game; the latter almost doubles the amount of levels and adds a mirror mode (basically hard mode) and a time attack mode. Two hours of gameplay? What a ridiculous base for your argument against 2D platformers.

What else? Oh yes, the implication that NSMB Wii and DKCR are anything less than two of the best games this generation. Your hate for 2D platformers is still as baseless as always. I remember when you demanded proof that NSMB Wii did cost more than $50 (!) to make, because that's how blind you are when it comes to this subject.

And to top it off, the real test is somehow going to be a franchise that had only one entry that was a 2D platformer so far. Well, of course, better pick something you know of that it has a chance to suit your argument while ignoring the elephants in the room.

If you reply, I hope you have something substantial to offer, in other words something that goes beyond your personal taste.

First off you have no evidence that i hate 2d platformers, just bought sideways NY and i love it. How are you so sure that IOS was the lead platform?? Because they added one extra level?? Link Please. I admit that they messed up on Sonic 4. 2 hours of gameplay I was talking strictly about the 2D Sonic games. Ive played them all and thats about how long they take me to beat. Either Im really good at them or some people just really suck.  You say that 2d platformers havent evolved, you think NSMBWii and DKCR are evolutions?? I would disagree adding multiplayer (not even online) is not evolving that was done years ago in the SNES/GEN the only game that i have seen that has really pushed it in a direction never seen before is LBP, but i know how your ignorant prejudice about anything having to do with SOny so i cant wait to see what negative spin you put on that.  I never implied that NSMBWii or DKCR were not good games, stop looking for things that arent there, do you think those games would have sold anywhere near as good as they did if they were not attached to those franchises? Please.  I picked Rayman because thats the only damn 2d platformer coming out on retail.  Oh there is Kirby and im sure he will do alright but that is another Ninty staple which im not expecting to flop anyway.  

I miss last generation so much that I bought a Playstation 2 today. I love that thing. It was a pleasure to play a game without the need to do a mandatory instalation. Just insert the disc and start playing. Awesome. I will forgive this generation just because of New Super Mario Bros (wii and DS) and for Mario Kart DS.I think that with less powerful game developers need to use more their heads and creativity and that brings great games. Thats why the Nintendo DS is so great, with Less power they need to be more creative to make quality games. I am tired of developers launching half baked games because they can patch it later and I am tired of having to do mandatory instalations before starting to play a game. 

I enjoyed last gen more as well from FFX to Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter i just had more fun with them. But this gen has bee all about Halo, CoD, and now BF. ( at least from a main stream standpoint)

Around the Network

I enjoyed, Final Fantasy, MGS more last gen and these are my favorite franchises.

The golden age of gaming for me was the PSX, N64, Deus Ex Era(Stretching a bit) :D, and I doubt there will be that many games in one generation that ever slap me across the face and I think that's amazing!

But that was the first gen I really played much. So nostalgia's probably the main factor. Theres good games and a bunch of crap like there always was now. I've loved countless games for gameplay/story this gen. I can't complain.

While i do miss the rpg's of last gen, we have gotten amazing games that were not possible in last gen like uncharted or batman. Plus this gen we have imo, two of the most amazing games released in years. Demon's souls and dark souls.

Agree... HD Games? That's good...
But I just don't understand with so many themes and story like a Human or alien invasion. That's a good idea, but that's just look like same game for me with different character.. And that's so boooorriiiiing...
I like to play Gears of war, but just for the first one.

The problem of this gen ain't graphics, it's that games are casualized and too easy when you play on normal difficulty. Many games are like interactive movies. Yes you can say play them on hard difficulty but I don't like that because that often makes the game too time consuming after all. I would like something in between.

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

First off you have no evidence that i hate 2d platformers, just bought sideways NY and i love it. How are you so sure that IOS was the lead platform?? Because they added one extra level?? Link Please. I admit that they messed up on Sonic 4. 2 hours of gameplay I was talking strictly about the 2D Sonic games. Ive played them all and thats about how long they take me to beat. Either Im really good at them or some people just really suck.  You say that 2d platformers havent evolved, you think NSMBWii and DKCR are evolutions?? I would disagree adding multiplayer (not even online) is not evolving that was done years ago in the SNES/GEN the only game that i have seen that has really pushed it in a direction never seen before is LBP, but i know how your ignorant prejudice about anything having to do with SOny so i cant wait to see what negative spin you put on that.  I never implied that NSMBWii or DKCR were not good games, stop looking for things that arent there, do you think those games would have sold anywhere near as good as they did if they were not attached to those franchises? Please.  I picked Rayman because thats the only damn 2d platformer coming out on retail.  Oh there is Kirby and im sure he will do alright but that is another Ninty staple which im not expecting to flop anyway.  

I don't need evidence for claims that I never made. However, what's well established on these forums by now is that you are against 2D platformers seeing retail releases.

The evidence for Sonic 4 may not be conclusive, but very plausible. You can read the whole story here. Don't worry, it may be located on Malstrom's blog, but it isn't Malstrom's theory.

I already told you that your point of two hours long Sonic games is moot, because modern 2D platformers have offered significantly more playtime than their predecessors that were released in the early '90s.

Regarding evolution of the genre, you conveniently ignored DKCR altogether. Also, even if you disregard NSMB WIi's multiplayer, the game still takes longer to beat and complete than Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. I don't even need to say anything about LBP, because it is besides the point. Instead I advise you to look up what the word "evolution" means.

As for implying that NSMB Wii and DKCR are bad games, you tried to disqualify them by saying that it wouldn't matter if they sucked, because they would sell regardless. But do you think these games would have sold as well as they did if they weren't as good as they are?

With Kirby you are trying to do a similar thing. Apparently the game doesn't really count, because it is made by Nintendo. Since we both, as well as everybody else who is familiar with your posts, know that you are against 2D platformers being released at retail, it's an obvious attempt to move the goalposts in order to suit your agenda.

i have noticed  something about you. Why do you get so defensive about nintendo?