By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo WiiU is not a next-generation system!

Well Pachter is at it again his constant attacks on Nintendo and lack of knowledge when it comes to their business plans and the way the industry actually works. His latest comment is that while "The Wii U is a pretty ambitious undertaking," is not actually a next generation platform at all. "It's a new console, with new controls and architecture, but it's not quite 'next' generation. Developers have to contend with differences between the Wii U and current generation consoles, then have to figure out what to do with the controls."

Pachter claims WiiU is a port box that will only recieve ports from PS3/360 and not any exculsive content. Relying on ports will lead to a lack of hardware sales since gamers would rather buy those games for their existing PS3/360 consoles. He is pretty sceptical about WiiU's ability to be success however unlike when he famously said Vita would be dead on arrival he said "In order for the launch to be hugely successful, the console will need three things: a competitive price, compelling first party launch titles, and compelling third party launch titles. We don't know if the Wii U will have any of these, so it's quite difficult to predict a hugely successful launch."

Apparently when Nex-Box and PS4 launch WiiU will be forgotten and stop receiving the ports it will rely on entirely for support. Since Pachter doesn't believe developers or publishers will give Nintendo any exclusive content.

Once again this shows Pachter is out of touch with reality. Fact is we know WiiU is going to be superior to PS3/360 in almost every way. Combined with new technology and such it is most definitely a next generation platform. What do you think is Pachter remotely correct or entirely or is he off in lala land again completely in his own sense of reality?

Source

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

This thread should see morenoingrato defending Pachter, for all the hard work he does behind the scenes.

After all, he's just an analyst and his personal opinion shouldn't be used to judge his work.

Pacther is using a different definition of video game "generations" than we at VGChartz are, isn't he? We look at it from when it releases, he views it from a technological point of view. He's said that the PsP was a generation ahead of DS, and considers the Wii to be a 6th generation machine.

That view is something I disagree with, but considering that he views it from a technological standpoint, saying it isn't quite a next generation machine isn't that stupid.

The rest of what he says about the WiiU seems correct (although a bit obvious).

The problem with the WiiU (and that logic) is that it's a next-next-generation system, jumping two generations in one go is hard for him to comprehend.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Pineapple said:

Pacther is using a different definition of video game "generations" than we at VGChartz are, isn't he? We look at it from when it releases, he views it from a technological point of view. He's said that the PsP was a generation ahead of DS, and considers the Wii to be a 6th generation machine.

That view is something I disagree with, but considering that he views it from a technological standpoint, saying it isn't quite a next generation machine isn't that stupid.

Yep!

One question remains.

Are PS4 and nextBox next gen from a technological standpoint?
We know nothing about the specs of these machines,of course, but a next-gen-tech step WiiU to PS4/720 like Wii to PS360 is impossible regarding price points of HW and SW development,imo.
So it doesn't make any sense at all.

Around the Network

He's right about third parties though.

Pineapple said:

Yes, though the language should not be hijacked by the anti-Nintendo crowd to revise the concept of generations into a technological one. Generational revisionism was established purely to exclude Wii and DS, and thus that meaning of generation and those beholden to it should be disputed with extreme prejudice

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

the only way he would have some cred on what he just said would be if he knew about the next xbox and ps and IF they were significantly more powerful than the WiiU...but honestly I doubt he does. don't take him too seriously on opinions like this

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

We only have had a glimpse of what Wii U can do graphically and those who had a private showing seemed to be even more impressed.
Nintendo might do wonders in everything else, but if the graphics aren`t "that good" it hasn`t moved past this generation... Why is it all about graphics?

I agree with him, kind of.

I don't feel like I'm ready for the next generation yet, I'm expecting the next Playstation or Xbox to go on sale at least a full year after the Wii U and even then I still don't think I will feel ready for the next generation. If you look at the consoles from a technical standpoint, his statement is true. Nintendo is only just getting the features and technology the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have had for years. As for the graphics, I'm only guessing here but I think the PS / Xbox gap compared to the Wii U will be pretty large, not as big as it has been this generation but still big enough.

It's not as if this will automatically make the Wii U bad, but you aren't going to get that "wow" factor you normally get when you buy a brand new next-gen console.

Is it technically a next-gen console? Yes.
Will it probably feel like one? No.