By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo WiiU is not a next-generation system!

I didn't bother to read through the entire thread but I've been saying this myself. Wii U is as much this gen as Move and Kinect. Now all three consoles have HD + Motion controls. The tablet interface is novel but in today's day and age of smart phones and tablets, it's not very novel or innovative at all.

WiiU in no way poses any threat to 360/PS3 as all it'll receive is ports of their existing game line up. So what? Yeah, it'll be in true 1080p and have a second screen which is nice and all but not justification for people to buy a 2nd (or 3rd) HD console. There's no indication it'll have any 3rd party exclusives (outside of that sh-t from Ubisoft) and no telling if it'll have any sway on the casual crowd or if they'll stick to their Wiis.

However, I also question if there will even be a next gen. Where do they go from here? Plus streaming game services are here and will grow and eliminate the need to have to have this or that console as you'll probably be able to play all the games you want on modern HD smart TVs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii and I was one of the very first to predict it's massive success (before launch) when everyone wrote it off as doomed from the start. However Nintendo has shown nothing so far to show why WiiU will have any chance of success or who it will even appeal to. It is certainly not 'next gen' except in terms of how people still refer to PS360 as 'next gen'. It'll lump in with them and all will share the same games. Yeah for homogeneity.

Around the Network

Hardware wise he's right.

Going by what we've had confirmed by IBM and AMD the U is going to be 4 or 5 times more powerful than the PS3 and 360. And it's currently impossible for the gap in power between the U and PS4/720 to be the equivalent of the gap in power between the Wii and the PS3/360. The hardware simply doesn't exist yet.

This gen has confused a lot of people, some new to gaming this gen and some with the memory of goldfish. The only console this gen that has shown the traditional leap in power from last gen to this gen is the 360 being around 5 times more powerful than the Xbox. The PS3 has been a nontraditional 10 times more powerful than the PS2 and the Wii has been a nontraditional 1.5-2 times more powerful than the Gamecube.

Next gen is going to be more traditional, similar to last gen, with all 3 consoles being in the same sort of ballpark - Sony and Microsoft will both want to avoid making the same cock up that Sony made this gen with the PS3...they'll want to keep production and retail costs down, particularly when the U has had a year head start on sales and marketshare and will be ripe for a price cut if needed.

You'll see the U being the lead platform for multiplatform games next gen as the PS2 was last gen with the U running next gen engines at 720p native and the PS4/720 running them at 1080p native. Just a slight graphical downgrade.

You don't decide whether a console is from one or another generation because of graphics, that would screw up the console generation time-space continuum.

For example, the moment the PSP came out (matching the current gen), the DS would suddenly become a last gen handheld. Meaning all portable systems would go one generation back making the first ever portable generation 0, thus giving an error and making the universe implode.

As others have said, PSX and N64 would be in different generations, effectively making N64 the only 6th generation console and meaning the current HD consoles are the 8th. That would alter the course of history and also send us forward in time to an alternative universe.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

i see a lot of people saying the jump won't be big but my question is - whats the point of launching a nextbox and ps4 unless they are significantly more powerful or have some kind of differentiating feature to their predecessors?

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
Pineapple said:

Pacther is using a different definition of video game "generations" than we at VGChartz are, isn't he? We look at it from when it releases, he views it from a technological point of view. He's said that the PsP was a generation ahead of DS, and considers the Wii to be a 6th generation machine.

That view is something I disagree with, but considering that he views it from a technological standpoint, saying it isn't quite a next generation machine isn't that stupid.

The rest of what he says about the WiiU seems correct (although a bit obvious).

By that logic, the GCN and Xbox were a generation ahead of the Dreamcast and almost a generation ahead of the PS2. But you certainly wouldn't ever accept that statement, would you?

wow so defensive

So? Pachter's not really an analyst.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yup it's slow news in the video game industry when we start on Pachter!
Wii U is next gen....bottom line. It has nothing to do with graphics. When a new console is released it is the next gen.
People say it's not because they don't want it to come yet. Well too bad, next generation starts next year.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

Joelcool7 said:

Well Pachter is at it again his constant attacks on Nintendo and lack of knowledge when it comes to their business plans and the way the industry actually works. His latest comment is that while "The Wii U is a pretty ambitious undertaking," is not actually a next generation platform at all. "It's a new console, with new controls and architecture, but it's not quite 'next' generation. Developers have to contend with differences between the Wii U and current generation consoles, then have to figure out what to do with the controls."

Pachter claims WiiU is a port box that will only recieve ports from PS3/360 and not any exculsive content. Relying on ports will lead to a lack of hardware sales since gamers would rather buy those games for their existing PS3/360 consoles. He is pretty sceptical about WiiU's ability to be success however unlike when he famously said Vita would be dead on arrival he said "In order for the launch to be hugely successful, the console will need three things: a competitive price, compelling first party launch titles, and compelling third party launch titles. We don't know if the Wii U will have any of these, so it's quite difficult to predict a hugely successful launch."

Apparently when Nex-Box and PS4 launch WiiU will be forgotten and stop receiving the ports it will rely on entirely for support. Since Pachter doesn't believe developers or publishers will give Nintendo any exclusive content.

Once again this shows Pachter is out of touch with reality. Fact is we know WiiU is going to be superior to PS3/360 in almost every way. Combined with new technology and such it is most definitely a next generation platform. What do you think is Pachter remotely correct or entirely or is he off in lala land again completely in his own sense of reality?

Source

his ego just go butthurt by Nintendo, so now he's spouting bullcrap all over again!!! (my opinion)

Patcher is not god and i can think with my own mind.

I will judge if it's true when i get an hold on the WiiU.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum