By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Box-Office Thread.

Can Disney beat Universal's record 2015 domestic gross - $2.445 billion?

It will fall short of tha... 4 13.33%

Finding Dory, Doctor Stra... 20 66.67%

It's going to be very cl... 6 20.00%

Total:30

That film is so good.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
As expected, BOM are taking their sweet time with the official friday estimates.

It's not their fault. Warner Bros. isn't releasing any numbers until Monday, because you know, something really bad happened in Colorado.

The movie tried to be so good that it sucks. What a shame; it was quite boring.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Mordred11 said:
As expected, BOM are taking their sweet time with the official friday estimates.

It's not their fault. Warner Bros. isn't releasing any numbers until Monday, because you know, something really bad happened in Colorado.

They don't have to.The numbers can be tracked without WB's help.

Heavenly_King said:
The movie tried to be so good that it sucks. What a shame; it was quite boring.

Hmph. What's you opinion on Batman Begins/ TKD ?

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
kopstudent89 said:
Chris Hu said:
Mordred11 said:
Expected a bit more from the opening midnight.

Wasn't it somewhat limited though like most midnight openings. 

It's actually the highest among super hero adaptations.. Avengers was the previous highest with 18.7 mil, so that's completely shattered! Especially since it's in 2D

Yeah , but it trailed TA a lot for the rest of friday.

I was thinking about the numbers of theaters that actually showed it on midnight Thursday.  I'm pretty sure only a small fraction of the 4,404 theaters in which the movie opened yesterday showed it on midnight.

Mordred11 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Mordred11 said:

They don't have to.The numbers can be tracked without WB's help.

Yeah but Box Office Mojo only posts studio estimates and studio officials. Deadline Hollywood is guessing around $75 million, but BOM won't post til studios do.

So according to box office mojo 3,825 theater showed the movie on midnight out of the 4,404 theater on which it opened on Friday that's a pretty large percentage. I was thinking that only about half the theaters would participate in the midnight opening.

PDF said:

10. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - $16.5 million

Good bye precious, you will leave the top 10 midnight openings now.

But TDKR is a worthy film to take you out.

But I'll never let go...I'll never let go...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

PDF said:
Theres no doubt the shootings will affect this movie opening weekend. I hope the affect is not too great though. Fingers Crossed at breaking 207million.

Midnight release sits up there with the best of them, around 30m. Those darn Book movies dominate midnight premiers.

Top 10 Midnight Openings
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - $43.5 million
2. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - $30.3 million
3. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - $30.1 million
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - $26.3 million
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - $24 million
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - $22.2 million
7. The Hunger Games - $19.7 million
8. The Avengers - $18.7 million
9. The Dark Knight - $18.5 million
10. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - $16.5 million

Well its the second best midnight opening ever if the numbers form box office mojo are right they have it at $30,640,000.   The movie at the top of the list had terrible legs domestically it ended up making $381,011,219 but should have easily made over $400 million.  It did great overseas though with $947 million its the third highest grossing movie overseas.