By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo create a new classic style Zelda game?

Should Nintendo create a new classic style Zelda game?

Yes! 2D Zelda is best! 21 20.59%

No! 3D Zelda is the future! 7 6.86%

A highbred 2.5 3D Zelda would be amazing 14 13.73%

Why not have both! 49 48.04%

Maybe as a downloadable game 10 9.80%

Wouldn’t be worth it 1 0.98%

Total:102
Snesboy said:
Euphoria14 said:

YES, YES, ONE MILLION TIMES YES!!!

Just please leave out the ships, choo choo trains and living hats. 

Minish Cap was amazing tyvm.

yvw.

I also never said Minish Cap was bad, it is just that I want your usual Link. You know, the one who doesn't ride Choo Choo trains like those found in childrens amusement parks, Link who spends his days sailing the seas or Link with a bird hat thing.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Snesboy said:
Euphoria14 said:

YES, YES, ONE MILLION TIMES YES!!!

Just please leave out the ships, choo choo trains and living hats. 

Minish Cap was amazing tyvm.

yvw.

I also never said Minish Cap was bad, it is just that I want your usual Link. You know, the one who doesn't ride Choo Choo trains like those found in childrens amusement parks, Link who spends his days sailing the seas or Link with a bird hat thing.

Thanks for clarifying.

DélioPT said:

about the poll: I chose both aswell! There`s something special in 2D Zelda`s, specially the first game on NES. That game still has a special place in my heart.

Just looking back at that game now... seeing all the imagination, creativity and care put in that game, at that time, is just WOW. Most games nowadays aren`t half of what Zelda on NES was in the 80`s. No wonder Miyamoto is who he is today!

My sentiments exactly.

The imagination and  game design displayed in the original Zelda were just lightyears ahead of anything else before it and make it, overall, my favorite game of all time.  Even playing it now; the control is flawless, the way you use your items intelligently to progress is genius, the secrets are brilliant; even the gold cartridge, sweet box art and full-color booklet added to it's excellence.

And then when you've completed it you get an entire remixed second quest.  Pure bona fide perfection to me.

archbrix said:
DélioPT said:

about the poll: I chose both aswell! There`s something special in 2D Zelda`s, specially the first game on NES. That game still has a special place in my heart.

Just looking back at that game now... seeing all the imagination, creativity and care put in that game, at that time, is just WOW. Most games nowadays aren`t half of what Zelda on NES was in the 80`s. No wonder Miyamoto is who he is today!

My sentiments exactly.

The imagination and  game design displayed in the original Zelda were just lightyears ahead of anything else before it and make it, overall, my favorite game of all time.  Even playing it now; the control is flawless, the way you use your items intelligently to progress is genius, the secrets are brilliant; even the gold cartridge, sweet box art and full-color booklet added to it's excellence.

And then when you've completed it you get an entire remixed second quest.  Pure bona fide perfection to me.

Exactly!
Who would ever bring a special golden cartridge just for a game?
When i think about the game  - like the secrets and gameplay as you mentioned - the only thing that comes to mind is: how did Miyamoto think of all that? :D  The man`s a genious!

Mario had a "second run" after finishing the game, but Zelda`s second quest was almost like reinventing the game - or part of it, to be honest. The dundgeons were just awesome!
I just can`t remember anything to point my finger at and say "that`s bad". I know people praise Ocarina of Time for being a masterpiece, but Zelda 1 was "the" game - at least for me!

All this conversation is making me rebuy the game in Virtual Console to play it again! :D

Zelda seems to be going in the right direction right now...idk about you guys ,but I'm hyped for skyward sword.

Around the Network

Glad I read this thread before acting like "Mr. Know-It-ALL" about The Minish Cap.

That game deserves more love.

ishiki said:

idc, if it's good, then it's neat. 

and anyways not following nsmb, cause that's my least favorite 2D mario... I think.

I agree with this guy!

OT:

Want Wind Waker 2 first!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

kitler53 said:

well when i read the op i read 2D not zelda minus the coddling.  and let's face it, what games (wii, ps360, psp, ds, 3ds, ect.) doesn't heavily coddle the user heavily compared to the snes days?   i really can only think of one - demon's souls.  from how you described things, demon souls is more zelda than any other game this gen.

It really is isn't it?  At least from a combat and dungeon standpoint I think it's about as old school 2D Zelda in 3D as you can get.  I think Nintendo should realy look to that game particularly for the interesting online ideas as well as combat.  I'm not saying the next Zelda should be exactly like it since Demon's Souls didn't have the overworld and NPC interaction people expect from a Zelda, but they could definitely glean a few things from it to make the 3D Zelda with the old combat driven 2D gameplay that some seem to crave.

They have been making classic style Zelda for years, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Four swords, Phantom Hourglass, while i admit that Spirit Tracks looked a little off. If your one of those guys who are too cool to play games on portables then that is your lost and you will continue to miss out