By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo create a new classic style Zelda game?

Should Nintendo create a new classic style Zelda game?

Yes! 2D Zelda is best! 21 20.59%

No! 3D Zelda is the future! 7 6.86%

A highbred 2.5 3D Zelda would be amazing 14 13.73%

Why not have both! 49 48.04%

Maybe as a downloadable game 10 9.80%

Wouldn’t be worth it 1 0.98%

Total:102

I would love it. Bring me some old school Zelda that is more challenging. A Link to the past remains the best.

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:
kitler53 said:
Beuli2 said:
kitler53 said:

doesn't phantom hourglass and spirit tracks count as classic 2D?  those aren't that old

Nope.

yeah you're going to have to eleborate.  i played phantom hourglass an although some of the sections were sorta kinda 3Dish (some shops, sailing) the vast majority of the gameplay was top down 2D ala the legend of zelda links awakening.

Just because it looked like the 2D doesn't mean it had the 2D Zelda soul.

Try actually explaining it then have us guess

@DS zeldas =/= 2D zelda thing

I only played spirit tracks and while it has the same gameplay as the older games they have their content and formula follow wind waker more so then say link to the past. Thats the difference

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I definitely voted for both.  The original Zelda and A Link to the Past are my two favorite games of all time.

Yes! They should! I want I want I want!!

I wouldn't mind if it's 3DSWare with nice old-school (SNES-style) graphics like Mega Man 9 and 10 (yeah I know, those 2 are NES graphics).

That would be nice...

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Myak-04 said:

I really don't want the 3DS to get a Zelda game in the style of a home console release. The series needs diversity. Having every adventure from now on in a 3D world would be so repetitive. That's what I love about the 2D games... you mostly play them for their charm and story, but when you get to the major console game, seeing everything in 3D from once 2D makes it that much more amazing. 

Agreed, when first saw that the 3DS Zelda was a remake of OoT I became worried that Nintendo may not ever release a classic 2D Zelda again. Phantom hourglass and Spirit tracks, to me don't really count as classic Zelda games, since they are rendered in 3D and played with almost completely touch based controls; though I heard that a cheat device can enable the classic button layout. 

Around the Network

Wind Waker was their attempt to go back to the 'classic' Zelda in design and style.  And it worked for the most part.  Considering Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks all followed in the same design and style, its not hard to claim they have gone back to the traditional style.

As for the gameplay being 2D, then it'll probably not happen.  Minish Cap was the last of those, and one of the best.  But with the 3DS being well..3D, I imagine many Nintendo series are going to be focusing on 3D.  Hopefully Kirby and Metroid will return to 2D though.

Frankly, I'd like a game more like the original NES Legend of Zelda.  Simple gameplay with tons of exploration, bomb holes and light puzzle solving.  I still think its the best Zelda after Ocarina of Time.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Beuli2 said:
kitler53 said:
Beuli2 said:
kitler53 said:

doesn't phantom hourglass and spirit tracks count as classic 2D?  those aren't that old

Nope.

yeah you're going to have to eleborate.  i played phantom hourglass an although some of the sections were sorta kinda 3Dish (some shops, sailing) the vast majority of the gameplay was top down 2D ala the legend of zelda links awakening.

Just because it looked like the 2D doesn't mean it had the 2D Zelda soul.

Do explain! Sounds interesting :)

My children might be high-bred, but a mix of two Zeldas should be a hybrid.

I like 2D zeldas, but they are still around plenty, on handhelds.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I would love Nintendo to do a 'New Legend of Zelda', it would be a dream come true

I'd pay for a Cafe solely for this game.

They would have to put more effort in that they did for NSMB Wii. No reuse of art assets, new music instead of remixed music, and classic open-world gameplay instead of just compressed Ocarina.

I'd like them to read and understand the following two words very carefully. Non-linear. Nintendo created the two great non-linear games (Zelda and Metroid) yet their recent incarnations are narrow and story-driven (Other M and Twilight Princess).