By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I don't understand.. why is the PS3 on top now?

It's just because everything else is doing puke.

I can't see why you'd be proud of outrunning an old man on a wheelchair or a 12 year old whose weight in kg is ten times his age.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

yeah, best games, and lots of games, a lot of unique games, variety! and just because psn is down doesnt mean it wont be up again... still the best thing out there

d21lewis said:

I agree with this post.  I don't know why the "winner" in the video games race always starts fucking up for no apparent reason.

I've always chalked it up to simple hubris. Seems like there's a pattern of a company dominating for two generations in a row before they just get all up their own ass and feel like they can do no wrong. I mean, after Sony waltzed into the console market, slapped the shit out of Nintendo and Sega, and sold an unprecedented number of consoles two gens in a row, it's not hard to imagine them feeling like they had the Midas touch. Thus the $599 PS3 with Genji as a launch title.

OT: My theory is that consumers are taking pity on the poor thing.

Metallicube said:

This isn't to undermine the PS3 or anything, but I really think the PS3 is on top right now by default. It is basically the least flawed console at the moment. Xbox 360 has few new games for it, and Kinect is plummeting towards inevitable irrelivency without any new games released for it. PSP is becoming outdated aside from Japan, eclipsed by DS and 3DS. And Nintendo in general has taken a turn for the worse lately with all its platforms, reverting back to its hardcore ways while ignoring the mass market, which has marginalized their fan base to a small niche.

So basically, I don't exactly see PS3 as doing the best right now, but at doing the least that is wrong. The industry is in a sad state right now, as all three companies are either standing by idly or making dumb moves.

I don't think it has anything to do with that, but moreso the lack of GAMES.  Wii hasnt really had anything interesting come out in a long while,  and the 3DS launched with an unimpressive library. I remember the DS struggled too for this same reason. 3DS will pick up in the holiday season and begin its climb. Wii needs games like Zelda, big titles to push it forward.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Probably has something to do with the PS3 having a constant stream of quality first party exclusives as well as a constant stream of quality third party titles.

In short, it always has something new to play.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Because customers are smart and know the PS3 is the best. PSN is just extra icing on the cake of awesomeness that is the PS3.

/Fanboy

Its because new customers won't be affected by the psn issue other than no online for a week or two, and they probably think since it happened once sony will do everything in their power to prevent it from happening again. PS3 is also by far the best value in terms of price. Just think about it for a bit.

msrp prices

PS3 price changes $499/599->$599->$399/499>$299/$349 In total PS3 has gone down in price $200-$250 in price from launch with a 100-260gig improved harddrive and removed backwards compatibility.

Wii price changes $250->$200 In total Wii has gone down $50dollars since launch with no significant changes that im aware of.

360 price changes $299/399/->$349/$279/$449->$299/199/399->$199/299 In total 360 has gone down $100 dollars in price from launch with an added 4gigs flash memory, or 112gig improved harddrive, and wireless wifi.

People are too often running around claiming the ps3 is owning even while being the most expencive. It is ridiculously low priced compared to its competition for the tech inside of it. Its like showing off that a 1080p 3d lcd tv with free cable for life, is outselling a 720p plasma tv with a $60 suscription, and a boob tube tv from over a decade ago, when all of them cost within $100 of each other. There is a reason sony is making the least amount of money from its gaming divison by a huge margin despite having steller software sales over the past few years. It has been forced to cut prices far more than its competition. 

The PS3 is without a doubt building the best games library out there. It does make a difference when those titles start getting price cuts, AAA quality such as Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, etc.

badgenome said:
d21lewis said:

I agree with this post.  I don't know why the "winner" in the video games race always starts fucking up for no apparent reason.

I've always chalked it up to simple hubris. Seems like there's a pattern of a company dominating for two generations in a row before they just get all up their own ass and feel like they can do no wrong. I mean, after Sony waltzed into the console market, slapped the shit out of Nintendo and Sega, and sold an unprecedented number of consoles two gens in a row, it's not hard to imagine them feeling like they had the Midas touch. Thus the $599 PS3 with Genji as a launch title.

OT: My theory is that consumers are taking pity on the poor thing.

Not Sony's fault people didn't want to hit a giant enemy crabs weak point for massive damage in a battle that actually took place in ancient Japan.

its got the games and features and is more affordable now, just wait till ps3 hits mass market price no other console will be able to match it. ive said it many times before sonys mistake was the high price point and its cost them the gen.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...