By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I don't understand.. why is the PS3 on top now?

Metallicube said:

This isn't to undermine the PS3 or anything, but I really think the PS3 is on top right now by default. It is basically the least flawed console at the moment. Xbox 360 has few new games for it, and Kinect is plummeting towards inevitable irrelivency without any new games released for it. PSP is becoming outdated aside from Japan, eclipsed by DS and 3DS. And Nintendo in general has taken a turn for the worse lately with all its platforms, reverting back to its hardcore ways while ignoring the mass market, which has marginalized their fan base to a small niche.

So basically, I don't exactly see PS3 as doing the best right now, but at doing the least that is wrong. The industry is in a sad state right now, as all three companies are either standing by idly or making dumb moves.

I agree with this post.  I don't know why the "winner" in the video games race always starts fucking up for no apparent reason.  It happens every single time!  There's no reason why Nintendo should have lost to Sony in 1996-2000 except blind stupity.  There's no reason why Sony should have lost their lead in 2006 to Nintendo AND Microsoft aside from total retardation.  There's no reason why Nintendo and Microsoft should be sitting still and letting Sony make up ground this gen aside from a lack of focus.  It's like working hard to get a hot girl to fall in love with you, marrying her and then ignoring her!!  Companies work so hard to get the lead--why won't they work hard to keep the lead!?

Around the Network

The PS3 has been putting out good exclusives this year but this PSN outage will have to effect it sooner or later. The fact that not everyone uses internet on their system or know about the outage has to help.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Dr.Grass said:

PS3 is starting to become cool just like PSX and PS2 were cool. I hardly hear anyone say they want to buy a 360 anymore, but everyone I know who wants a console wants a PS3.

The game library is starting to shit on the 360 library as well, and it will only increase.

i agree with this.

hopefully sony will learn form their mistakes and release the second console with more games and a lower price.

That's cause more people are buying PS3s then other systems. PS3 1#

Anyone who's breaking the law is obvious a criminal.

well its still not doing good at US & UK this two biggest region so i don't see any different as usually, the reason why its on top cause PS3 sells never drop as much like its competitors...

Around the Network
CaptainObvious said:

That cause more people are buying PS3s then other systems. PS3 1#

OMG I never thought of that. Thank you captain obvious. What a blessing having you in VGC!

OP: The PS3 is selling on par or slightlt below last years numbers after the pricecut, so the answer is:

a) The Wii is WAY down. No games, no pricecuts, nothing appealing, saturation. Lost it's 1st spot.

b) The DS is WAY down. Successor is out, not as many games as last year.

c) The 3DS is not selling that much, due to price point and lack of games.

d) The 360, despite being up, it is not by such a margin that it can take the lead, the Kinect effect was useful but not a revolution. In mainland Europe the Kinect effect was negligible and PS3 has simply become the more popular console by far.

e) The PS3 was able to maintain sales for a long time after the pricecut due to constantly releasing exclusives and brand power.

In conclusion. All Nintendo consoles are down while the 360 is not sufficiently up. The PS3 did a good job maintaining sales, so it's 1st. It's not because the PS3 is suddenly mega-popular, but it remained popular while the other didn't. As others have said, it won kind of by default.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

The game library...

Any publicity is good publicity and all you are hearing about right now is the PS3.

pezus said:
Metallicube said:

This isn't to undermine the PS3 or anything, but I really think the PS3 is on top right now by default. It is basically the least flawed console at the moment. Xbox 360 has few new games for it, and Kinect is plummeting towards inevitable irrelivency without any new games released for it. PSP is becoming outdated aside from Japan, eclipsed by DS and 3DS. And Nintendo in general has taken a turn for the worse lately with all its platforms, reverting back to its hardcore ways while ignoring the mass market, which has marginalized their fan base to a small niche.

So basically, I don't exactly see PS3 as doing the best right now, but at doing the least that is wrong. The industry is in a sad state right now, as all three companies are either standing by idly or making dumb moves.

17,605 76,798 48,547 142,950
55,526 27,288 45,343 128,157

If PSP is outdated out of Japan, what is the 3DS in EMEAA??

Newly launched.

The Wii did 61,000 in EMEAA in its 9th week (the weeks before were influenced by the holiday season)
The DS did 47,000 in EMEAA in its 6th week. 
The Ps3 did roughly 40,000 in its 6th week. 
The X360 was selling ~ 40,000 in the period in week 10 (the period before that was influenced by the holiday season).

Simply put, the 3DS isn't an instant success out of the gate, but practically no video game machines ever are.

Because PS3 fans are hardcore. They buy the console year-round, not as holiday-oriented as the Wii/360.