By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Request For IP Addresses Granted

Frank_kc said:

I think Sony is collecting  the IP's to prove that releasing the hack has caused others to use the console illegaly by copying software. Sony in no way will come after those IP's, it is just providing support to their claim to prove that Geohot is guilty.

just becuase it can be done with the tools hes given does not make him guilty, are you going to fine walmart if they sell someone a crowbar that is used to break into a house

also he should be protected under current DMCA

from current DMCA

Video games accessible on personal computers and protected by technological protection measures that control access to lawfully obtained works, when circumvention is accomplished solely for the purpose of good faith testing for, investigating, or correcting security flaws or vulnerabilities, if:
    â–ª    The information derived from the security testing is used primarily to promote the security of the owner or operator of a computer, computer system, or computer network; and
    â–ª    The information derived from the security testing is used or maintained in a manner that does not facilitate copyright infringement or a violation of applicable law. (A new exemption in 2010.)

part two there is most importnat as long as these guys themselves were not ripping it off all is good

they may try to get it under EULA, but DMCA freedoms should win out. due to the computational power of the PS3 it is classified as a computer during import and export, as has been the case since the ps2 i believe.further, other OS would defiantly push it into this area anyway

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

Hmm....youtube gets your IP address when you view their videos, you don't have a problem with that.

Now Sony gets, it, OH NOES, THEY ARE THE EVILS lol.

That's like saying a corporation is bad for getting your street address, and street adress is more important than a f*cki*g IP that changes everytime you reset your router. 

Your identity is safe. All they want to know, (and will know, through the help of IPs) is your location, your city and country, that's all. Not your exact street address. 

Big deal.

If it isn't a big deal why did they have to ask a judge to grant them access ?

Regarding the identity statement it is least safe now than it was before they got access. They'll always be able to cross data and come up with a list of "guilty" people to threaten and harass.

fighter said:
mantlepiecek said:

Hmm....youtube gets your IP address when you view their videos, you don't have a problem with that.

Now Sony gets, it, OH NOES, THEY ARE THE EVILS lol.

That's like saying a corporation is bad for getting your street address, and street adress is more important than a f*cki*g IP that changes everytime you reset your router. 

Your identity is safe. All they want to know, (and will know, through the help of IPs) is your location, your city and country, that's all. Not your exact street address. 

Big deal.

If it isn't a big deal why did they have to ask a judge to grant them access ?

Regarding the identity statement it is least safe now than it was before they got access. They'll always be able to cross data and come up with a list of "guilty" people to threaten and harass.

Because they don't have rights to the information youtube and twitter collects from you? Websites such as these usually have terms and conditions that your privacy will be safe unless its a legal issue, in which case they may be able to hand over IP adresses to the related people.

And no, they will not be able to find a list of guilty people with this list. Which is why banning a console through IP address is not fool-proof.

what people must remember before going on the rant about "this is going to remove the rights of ownership bull" that you are buying the PS3 hardware and becoming an licencee of the software meaning in order to use the software you must abide by there terms and conditions. You can do what ever you want to the hardware, you can turn the ps3 into an oven, software you cant unless its open source or free ware. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

"One is to prove the “defendant’s distribution” of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than in San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those who downloaded Hotz’s hack reside in Northern California — thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case."

Around the Network

i dont really care they can have my IP address ive done nothing wrong

I don't have a problem with someone having access to my IP in a case like this (not sure if I've visited the site though but anyway) but if that someone happens to be a corporate instead of the authorities, then I do have a problem with it. A big problem.

I've had all Sony consoles (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3) but I'm not sure I'm going to buy PS4 anymore. Sony might just have crossed the line this time, and this isn't even the first time. Looks like I might have to stick to PC gaming... Which isn't that bad, PC is where I play games the most.

axumblade said:

This is going a bit far....While it still doesn't really affect me personally but I can see how this will just continue to piss people off.

Keep in mind that the IP logs are to prove the distribution and the state of the downloader/viewer. Its to be used againt Geohot, not against the owners of those IPs.

axumblade said:
Icyedge said:
axumblade said:

This is going a bit far....While it still doesn't really affect me personally but I can see how this will just continue to piss people off.

Keep in mind that the IP logs are to prove the distribution and the state of the downloader/viewer. Its to be used againt Geohot, not against the owners of those IPs.

I can agree with you about that but at the same time, this is one of those situations that can lead to an overal discomfort in the customers.

Like people be offended that companies know their adress and phone numbers?? You know that a lot of companie sells this kind of data to those marketing companies and so??

I'm still waiting for any company to declare you are a criminal because they know your adress... people that are this worried with their IP and think someone knowing what he did and the sort usually worried about wrong things they did.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Why do people care so much? lol