By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Request For IP Addresses Granted

axumblade said:
DonFerrari said:
axumblade said:
Icyedge said:
axumblade said:

This is going a bit far....While it still doesn't really affect me personally but I can see how this will just continue to piss people off.

Keep in mind that the IP logs are to prove the distribution and the state of the downloader/viewer. Its to be used againt Geohot, not against the owners of those IPs.

I can agree with you about that but at the same time, this is one of those situations that can lead to an overal discomfort in the customers.

Like people be offended that companies know their adress and phone numbers?? You know that a lot of companie sells this kind of data to those marketing companies and so??

I'm still waiting for any company to declare you are a criminal because they know your adress... people that are this worried with their IP and think someone knowing what he did and the sort usually worried about wrong things they did.

Um. You realize that a lot of people get pissed off over that too right?

I'm not saying that it bothers me but a lot of people do freak out over this kind of thing and get pissed off over their personal information being distributed? Does that mean they're going to do anything about it? In most cases, probably not.

This case is different considering it's only based on people who go to hotz site but I can still imagine people getting pissed off over it.

I get pissed if companies start sending me Spam and useless mail, but that don't happen usually (and anyway my adress is public "domain" in phonebook, and only if asked for privacy they take off)... and just recently in Brazil you can know call the phone company and demand them to block calls from determined companies that don't stop bothering you (usually cellphone companies are the worst in this)...

And yes people would get pissed knowing their adress are being spread - but usually people are to dumb to even realize this. And about hotz case, i don't see consumers in general getting pissed or stop suporting sony, the only IPs that would been know are those that acessed hotz site or youtube videos. Maybe they get a warning letter as the hackers/pirates saying "You may have acessed private information from Sony, but don't worry if you have any content that violate the user agreement or a circunvention device you may get rid of it without consequences. If Sony find content in the aformentioned condition you may be banned from PSN" and that is as far as they would go... for general effects they will only make a random research to estimate how many people pirated/hacked the console with knowledge of Hotz information provided in the site.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Icyedge said:
axumblade said:

This is going a bit far....While it still doesn't really affect me personally but I can see how this will just continue to piss people off.

Keep in mind that the IP logs are to prove the distribution and the state of the downloader/viewer. Its to be used againt Geohot, not against the owners of those IPs.

I can agree with you about that but at the same time, this is one of those situations that can lead to an overal discomfort in the customers.

Yes  I agree with that though.

If they can identify the hackers then good for Sony. if not it is just annoying and a waste of peoples time and sonys money

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt

Icyedge said:

"One is to prove the “defendant’s distribution” of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than in San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those who downloaded Hotz’s hack reside in Northern California — thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case."

quoting you so that hopefully more people read this,  people need to chill out and take the time to understand the cirmustances before freaking out needlessly.

it always great to see the sony supporters just give up their rights. Well until the court case is final and we won't know what happens with it. And for those saying sony is only going to use this info for this and that, we'll see. How many corporations have a great track record of not abusing the information they hold and aquire about customers.

Also, many people I know prefer to be unlisted in phone books, and also have whois information hidden as best as they can for the simple reason that they like their privacy. And it seems the more successful  a person is that I know is the more private they keep their info. Just a thought. But for normal consumers (those who aren't tied into games ) most will find this an outrage and a complete trampling of consumer rights.

Well I'll wait to see what happens with this case but I hope sony looses. I have been wanting to get the ngp but if sony keeps bullying people I will just do gaming on a cell phone. Don't want to support a company that does not seem to believe in consumer rights or ownership and is only worried about their bootom line. I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Around the Network

Someone is happy knowing  this? ,,Anyway ....fanaticism > liberty

thranx said:

it always great to see the sony supporters just give up their rights. Well until the court case is final and we won't know what happens with it. And for those saying sony is only going to use this info for this and that, we'll see. How many corporations have a great track record of not abusing the information they hold and aquire about customers.

Also, many people I know prefer to be unlisted in phone books, and also have whois information hidden as best as they can for the simple reason that they like their privacy. And it seems the more successful  a person is that I know is the more private they keep their info. Just a thought. But for normal consumers (those who aren't tied into games ) most will find this an outrage and a complete trampling of consumer rights.

Well I'll wait to see what happens with this case but I hope sony looses. I have been wanting to get the ngp but if sony keeps bullying people I will just do gaming on a cell phone. Don't want to support a company that does not seem to believe in consumer rights or ownership and is only worried about their bootom line. I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

First, congrats on 1000 posts.

Second, it would be illegal for them to use any of that information aside from the reasons they detailed in the subpoenas. Now, they would be sued every which way if that were to happen. So the question is, "why do you think Sony is dumb enough to do something that could result in international court cases, huge fines, and immensely bad press".

thranx said:

At the moment, its only georgehotz and failoverflow were talking about.

mantlepiecek said:
fighter said:
mantlepiecek said:

Hmm....youtube gets your IP address when you view their videos, you don't have a problem with that.

Now Sony gets, it, OH NOES, THEY ARE THE EVILS lol.

That's like saying a corporation is bad for getting your street address, and street adress is more important than a f*cki*g IP that changes everytime you reset your router. 

Your identity is safe. All they want to know, (and will know, through the help of IPs) is your location, your city and country, that's all. Not your exact street address. 

Big deal.

If it isn't a big deal why did they have to ask a judge to grant them access ?

Regarding the identity statement it is least safe now than it was before they got access. They'll always be able to cross data and come up with a list of "guilty" people to threaten and harass.

Because they don't have rights to the information youtube and twitter collects from you? Websites such as these usually have terms and conditions that your privacy will be safe unless its a legal issue, in which case they may be able to hand over IP adresses to the related people.

And no, they will not be able to find a list of guilty people with this list. Which is why banning a console through IP address is not fool-proof.

1/ so you are syaing that accessing that website is a legal issue ?

2/ then why do they do it ?

meh...I haven't done anything wrong so don't really care...