By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Request For IP Addresses Granted

fighter said:
mantlepiecek said:
fighter said:
mantlepiecek said:

Hmm....youtube gets your IP address when you view their videos, you don't have a problem with that.

Now Sony gets, it, OH NOES, THEY ARE THE EVILS lol.

That's like saying a corporation is bad for getting your street address, and street adress is more important than a f*cki*g IP that changes everytime you reset your router. 

Your identity is safe. All they want to know, (and will know, through the help of IPs) is your location, your city and country, that's all. Not your exact street address. 

Big deal.

If it isn't a big deal why did they have to ask a judge to grant them access ?

Regarding the identity statement it is least safe now than it was before they got access. They'll always be able to cross data and come up with a list of "guilty" people to threaten and harass.

Because they don't have rights to the information youtube and twitter collects from you? Websites such as these usually have terms and conditions that your privacy will be safe unless its a legal issue, in which case they may be able to hand over IP adresses to the related people.

And no, they will not be able to find a list of guilty people with this list. Which is why banning a console through IP address is not fool-proof.

1/ so you are syaing that accessing that website is a legal issue ?

2/ then why do they do it ?

No, but there is a legal issue right now surrounding geohotz.

2) They are doing it to find out the city in which majority of the people watched the vids and downloaded the hacks.

Around the Network

Haven't checked the site and won't. I highly doubt they'll just ban someone for visiting the site.

At most if they catch someone cheating, they can look up if the IP-owner has visited the Hack-site and with better certainty ban the HaXXors ass.

I think some peeps freak out too easily. People are perfectly fine putting their pictures/info on sites like facebook for everyone to look-up, but seems the IP-address is THAT big of a deal compared, huh?

Just chill, as long as you ain't doing anything illegal, Sony won't bother doing anything to your account.

I really don't see a problem with this. All they are even doing is trying to prove that moving it to California is relevant. 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

I just want my ps3 as well as psn/online gaming to be hacker/cheater free. If this is what it takes, then more power to Sony. I want Geohot taken down for the hell he created for Sony, the ps3, online gaming, ps3 users, etc.

mantlepiecek said:
fighter said:
mantlepiecek said:
fighter said:
mantlepiecek said:

Hmm....youtube gets your IP address when you view their videos, you don't have a problem with that.

Now Sony gets, it, OH NOES, THEY ARE THE EVILS lol.

That's like saying a corporation is bad for getting your street address, and street adress is more important than a f*cki*g IP that changes everytime you reset your router. 

Your identity is safe. All they want to know, (and will know, through the help of IPs) is your location, your city and country, that's all. Not your exact street address. 

Big deal.

If it isn't a big deal why did they have to ask a judge to grant them access ?

Regarding the identity statement it is least safe now than it was before they got access. They'll always be able to cross data and come up with a list of "guilty" people to threaten and harass.

Because they don't have rights to the information youtube and twitter collects from you? Websites such as these usually have terms and conditions that your privacy will be safe unless its a legal issue, in which case they may be able to hand over IP adresses to the related people.

And no, they will not be able to find a list of guilty people with this list. Which is why banning a console through IP address is not fool-proof.

1/ so you are syaing that accessing that website is a legal issue ?

2/ then why do they do it ?

No, but there is a legal issue right now surrounding geohotz.

2) They are doing it to find out the city in which majority of the people watched the vids and downloaded the hacks.

1/ aha

2/ out of curiosity then ? LOL

Around the Network
fighter said:

1/ aha

not out of curiosity. If geohotz has had enough contact via twitter, youtube, etc with people from California, then Sony can establish that he had targeted Cali, (which makes sense being one of the biggest tech states, and a central operating area for Sony in the USA) and get a Californian court to rule on it, as opposed to Geohotz' homestate of New Jersey.

One of the primary reasons is that a lot of internet jurisdiction and court case involving technology is handled in California, and they have a lot of experience with past cases and rulings that they will most likely rule in favor of Sony, which they rightly should.

I don't see why people are getting upset. If you didn't do anything, what's the worst thing that could happen?

This is fine by me if you are worried then don't steal music, hack your ps3, or do anything else that violates the copyright laws.  

theprof00 said:
fighter said:

1/ aha

not out of curiosity. If geohotz has had enough contact via twitter, youtube, etc with people from California, then Sony can establish that he had targeted Cali, (which makes sense being one of the biggest tech states, and a central operating area for Sony in the USA) and get a Californian court to rule on it, as opposed to Geohotz' homestate of New Jersey.

One of the primary reasons is that a lot of internet jurisdiction and court case involving technology is handled in California, and they have a lot of experience with past cases and rulings that they will most likely rule in favor of Sony, which they rightly should.

No its because of the amount of cases they have heard its because they know that CA judges are more willing to bend the law/create new law through interpretation where in New Jersey it would probably get tried like it should. This can already be seen in how the judge gave sony access to the ip's in the first place. On the plus side it gives hope the supreme court will rule against it. CA is a joke of a state.

Jay520 said:

I don't see why people are getting upset. If you didn't do anything, what's the worst thing that could happen?

Many people just prefer their privacy. Also many fear the kind of precedent this will set for other corporations. The easiest way to look at it is how would you feel if this was MIcrosoft doing this? Or Phillip Morris? Etc. I think many are blind by sony and dont see their privacy/consumer rights being attacked here. I do