By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Request For IP Addresses Granted

Icyedge said:
axumblade said:

This is going a bit far....While it still doesn't really affect me personally but I can see how this will just continue to piss people off.

Keep in mind that the IP logs are to prove the distribution and the state of the downloader/viewer. Its to be used againt Geohot, not against the owners of those IPs.

This is what I thought, but as usual the anti-sony brigade comes down with the third degree. We are all being monitored anyway and soon this information will be made available to all comapanies, like our suppose to be private car registration numbers was but now isn't in the UK.

Everytime I reboot my router I get a different IP anyway so what good is it to use against most people who have dynamic IPs.

Around the Network
thranx said:
Jay520 said:

I don't see why people are getting upset. If you didn't do anything, what's the worst thing that could happen?

Many people just prefer their privacy. Also many fear the kind of precedent this will set for other corporations. The easiest way to look at it is how would you feel if this was MIcrosoft doing this? Or Phillip Morris? Etc. I think many are blind by sony and dont see their privacy/consumer rights being attacked here. I do

Have you read the terms and conditions of MS Kinect? .. if you own one of course.

justinian said:
thranx said:
Jay520 said:

I don't see why people are getting upset. If you didn't do anything, what's the worst thing that could happen?

Many people just prefer their privacy. Also many fear the kind of precedent this will set for other corporations. The easiest way to look at it is how would you feel if this was MIcrosoft doing this? Or Phillip Morris? Etc. I think many are blind by sony and dont see their privacy/consumer rights being attacked here. I do

Have you read the terms and conditions of MS Kinect? .. if you own one of course.

Yea some reall scary stuff in there. About if it is on and there is video of you breaking the law the cops (yes authorities backed by the government, not corporations) can subpeona that info. But that is the case with any video of you breaking the law. For that reason I keep all video recording off if I choose to break the law(of which used to be smoking marijuana, which i do legaly now. I am not a criminal dont want that impression out there). Was there something else in there you were talking about? I already know that any video (wether it is from kinect, eye toy, your pc cam, or a security cam) can be used against you. I admit I have not read the whole thing, I do not with most EULA or ToS as I already know if there is anyhting in their infringing on my rights it is registsered null and voided by the courts as you can not contrasct yourself out of your rights.

thranx said:
justinian said:
thranx said:
Jay520 said:

Yea some reall scary stuff in there. About if it is on and there is video of you breaking the law the cops (yes authorities backed by the government, not corporations) can subpeona that info. But that is the case with any video of you breaking the law. For that reason I keep all video recording off if I choose to break the law(of which used to be smoking marijuana, which i do legaly now. I am not a criminal dont want that impression out there). Was there something else in there you were talking about? I already know that any video (wether it is from kinect, eye toy, your pc cam, or a security cam) can be used against you. I admit I have not read the whole thing, I do not with most EULA or ToS as I already know if there is anyhting in their infringing on my rights it is registsered null and voided by the courts as you can not contrasct yourself out of your rights.

I can't remember it all. I bought it for my nephew at christmas and remember setting it up with him. In my job stuff like terms and conditions matter so it was natural for me to read it.

But one thing stuck out. Break the law in front of your Kinect system? You could be up against the law.

See if you can find the full document online.

It's amazing that the MS fanatics find Sony getting a few IP addresses a serious breach of their privacy but MS can spy on them through Kinect and they absolutely love it.

thranx said:
theprof00 said:
fighter said:

1/ aha

2/ out of curiosity then ? LOL

not out of curiosity. If geohotz has had enough contact via twitter, youtube, etc with people from California, then Sony can establish that he had targeted Cali, (which makes sense being one of the biggest tech states, and a central operating area for Sony in the USA) and get a Californian court to rule on it, as opposed to Geohotz' homestate of New Jersey.

One of the primary reasons is that a lot of internet jurisdiction and court case involving technology is handled in California, and they have a lot of experience with past cases and rulings that they will most likely rule in favor of Sony, which they rightly should.

No its because of the amount of cases they have heard its because they know that CA judges are more willing to bend the law/create new law through interpretation where in New Jersey it would probably get tried like it should. This can already be seen in how the judge gave sony access to the ip's in the first place. On the plus side it gives hope the supreme court will rule against it. CA is a joke of a state.

There is no new law, thranx. It IS the law. It's why programs like napster and kazaa got in lots of trouble, because it was proven that they were used most specifically to pirate media.

If Geohotz were to win, THAT would be the precedent.

But of course, you ARE entitled to your "opinion".

Around the Network
justinian said:
Icyedge said:
axumblade said:

This is going a bit far....While it still doesn't really affect me personally but I can see how this will just continue to piss people off.

Keep in mind that the IP logs are to prove the distribution and the state of the downloader/viewer. Its to be used againt Geohot, not against the owners of those IPs.

This is what I thought, but as usual the anti-sony brigade comes down with the third degree. We are all being monitored anyway and soon this information will be made available to all comapanies, like our suppose to be private car registration numbers was but now isn't in the UK.

Everytime I reboot my router I get a different IP anyway so what good is it to use against most people who have dynamic IPs.

but your ISP knows exactly what IP you had at what time.

now, this is not directed at you personally, but in general:

people should really not think that the internet is some kind of anonymous space. its very much a public area, even if you are sitting in your cosy home, you are mistaken if you consider it privacy.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

theprof00 said:
thranx said:
theprof00 said:
fighter said:

1/ aha

2/ out of curiosity then ? LOL

not out of curiosity. If geohotz has had enough contact via twitter, youtube, etc with people from California, then Sony can establish that he had targeted Cali, (which makes sense being one of the biggest tech states, and a central operating area for Sony in the USA) and get a Californian court to rule on it, as opposed to Geohotz' homestate of New Jersey.

One of the primary reasons is that a lot of internet jurisdiction and court case involving technology is handled in California, and they have a lot of experience with past cases and rulings that they will most likely rule in favor of Sony, which they rightly should.

No its because of the amount of cases they have heard its because they know that CA judges are more willing to bend the law/create new law through interpretation where in New Jersey it would probably get tried like it should. This can already be seen in how the judge gave sony access to the ip's in the first place. On the plus side it gives hope the supreme court will rule against it. CA is a joke of a state.

There is no new law, thranx. It IS the law. It's why programs like napster and kazaa got in lots of trouble, because it was proven that they were used most specifically to pirate media.

If Geohotz were to win, THAT would be the precedent.

But of course, you ARE entitled to your "opinion".

Are you trying to say american law is not open to interpretaion? I mean that is the whole point of a new precedent, I know the laws are not rewritten, hence why i said "bend the law/create new law through interpretation." I should have worded it better. It changes how the laws are viewed and judged by the judges, and this does change. That is what I fear. Its a very valid fear in this day in with coroporations who put profit over other things.

Porcupine_I said:
justinian said:
Icyedge said:
axumblade said:

people should really not think that the internet is some kind of anonymous space. its very much a public area, even if you are sitting in your cosy home, you are mistaken if you consider it privacy.

I am only considering the current scenario with sony.

From what I gather all Sony are getting is a list at a certain time. To then track down an IP that has changed since is an other warrant, which they may or may not requestet - but I doubt they would request it for reasons earlier stated.

You are right, the internet is not an anonymous space - unless you know how to access certain proxies, but that's another matter and not the norm.

thranx said:

Are you trying to say american law is not open to interpretaion? I mean that is the whole point of a new precedent, I know the laws are not rewritten, hence why i said "bend the law/create new law through interpretation." I should have worded it better. It changes how the laws are viewed and judged by the judges, and this does change. That is what I fear. Its a very valid fear in this day in with coroporations who put profit over other things.

Let me try to clarify this "argument".

What you are saying, is that there is no law against what Geohotz did. Is that correct? I gather that this is your point due to your reference to "bending" or "precedent" or anything similar. I assume that what you are saying is that no law exists, and that it will take a different interpretation of another law to CREATE this new precedent in which this case can be referred to in future cases or used to create new exemptions.

Read up on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

Now I don't believe that using the ps3 rootkey is protected by DMCA as it's not cracking any of its security, but Geohot distributed this code which can be used to circumvent piracy security. That's covered under the DMCA. He doesn't have to create any program or hack to enable piracy. All he has to do is distribute the code to allow for security circumvention. (Which is what he did). Also, the DMCA protects against reverse engineering, and if they can prove that (which they can), then that's another thing against Geohot.

As such, it is not a different "interpretation" that Sony needs. They just need the court to follow the letter of the law. Geohot winning would be a landmark case, not the opposite. If Geohot were to win, his precedent would allow for reverse engineering and programs would become available that automated reverse engineering, and came with instructions on how to create whatever you wanted to pirate without security measures.

Imagine, instead of downloading a pirated/cracked game, you would download an automated reverse engineering program (for example, something like a bit-torrent program) and then downloaded the game, and the program would crack the game for you using an instruction set that you downloaded for the specific game. That is what Geohot winning this case would allow. This would also allow for any company to reverse engineer a product and then resell it under their own brand. He is NOT going to win.

justinian said:
Porcupine_I said:
justinian said:
Icyedge said:
axumblade said:

I am only considering the current scenario with sony.

From what I gather all Sony are getting is a list at a certain time. To then track down an IP that has changed since is an other warrant, which they may or may not requestet - but I doubt they would request it for reasons earlier stated.

You are right, the internet is not an anonymous space - unless you know how to access certain proxies, but that's another matter and not the norm.

exactly. They cannot even make a case using information they get from the IPs they are getting. For all intents and purposes, these IPs do not exist outside of this case.