By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The fate of the PSP

If Sony is serious about the PSN getting Music, Movies, TV, and more next year, I think the PSP could start to be seen as the device it is. I have always been of the opinion that if Sony had not been dicking around the last five years and had a PSN type of service ready for the PSP's launch, they would not be so far nehind the DS. In fact I think if they had exicuted the way they are finally trying to now, they could have put the DS on the mat in the first round.

At CES Sony has to back up what Stringer claimed at CES Japan. Show everyone the service, make it real, give a launch date and stick to it. They need to have 16GB and 32GB Memory Sticks in the works for next year. If the PSP is to compete with the DS on the games side and the iPod on the multifunction side, it needs more room to store content. People love options, so Jack Trenton needs to get the gears moving on new colors. Twleve months, twelve new colors would be something that could really spark consumer intrest. The system needs another price cut in March, their is no getting around it, the PSP should have been $149 coming into this holiday, but they missed the boat. If they really want to compete they have got to get it to $149, and bundling in at least a 4GB MS would be a great start.

Games have got to get their own identity. I hardly ever play my PSP anymore. Everything on the system, I look at it, and go I will just wait tell I get home. Then I have a PS3 version of that game at 1080p, and on a 60in screen. I know that Sony often gets crap for copying Nintendo, but they really need games similar to Brain Traing, and Cooking Mama. Start taking full advantage of PSN, put all of the greatest hits on it, get small quick to play games that are exclusive to PSN. Sony first party needs to support this system, were is a naughty dog game? what about Gran Turismo? Get these games on the system, give it some unique titles, and it will start to gain more momentum.

I believe that the PSP still has a chance to take off and start outselling the DS. It will likly never catch the DS, I mean a 30M+ lead is no large obstical to overcome, its bigger than large. IMO the PSP has years of life left in it. If it were announced at E3 this year for an october 08 launch, with a 40GB HDD instead of UMD, it would still be an awsome device, for years after that. I still have not lost faith in this lil guy, and even though we have had a lot of fun in the past, and are going through some roughf times now, I think our best years are still to come.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

It'll survive, but probably not as a gaming device

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Oh really ... so the PSP2 will do evrithing else , just dont play games . Do you even listen to yourself or just come and start bashing everithing that has anithing to do with Sony ?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Oh really ... so the PSP2 will do evrithing else , just dont play games . Do you even listen to yourself or just come and start bashing everithing that has anithing to do with Sony ?

I never said it wouldn't play games, but if you look at software sales of the PSP you see that they are dismal, meaning most use their PSP for other reasons, not as a gaming device, hence why I said it will probably not survive as a gaming device but rather as a media player.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

This should be the psp2

mM
Around the Network
totalwar23 said:
Just a question. Which platform cost more to developed for? DS or PSP? Any estimations?

The PSP costs about 3x as much to develop for then the DS (at least according to info that came out awhile back about dev costs for each system).  I believe the PSP was pretty close in costs to the PS2.  So it costs less then the Wii to make games for but more then a DS.  I believe the estimates were something like DS 250k-? PSP 750k-? PS2 900k-? Wii-1000k-?

It would all depend on the game though, a large scale game will obviously cost more to develop and who's to say it would be cheaper to make on a system that's got a smaller entrance cost? (entrance meaning cheapest you could make a halfway decent game for)

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

leo-j said:
@Ajax

Ever thought that ds owners will move up to psp? Since the psp is more nexgen than the nexgen nintendo handheld?

That's not going to happen.  The PSP doesn't have Nintendo as a developer and it's losing 3rd party game makers due to sales.  Why all of a sudden would the trend change?  So far with the increase of system sales we have yet to see the PSP turn the tide for itself.  I'm still confused why it hasn't picked up more then we see each week.  I just don't get what PSP owners want a PSP for if they aren't using it as a gaming device.  There are much better entertainment devices on the market.  

Also, if the rumors are true about the DS2, it will end up having the same cpu and graphics processor that was in the Gamecube.  So let's not get into the PSP vs. Gamcube debate but that's the way things are going to go.  Sony of course could always release an even higher powered PSP, but what's the point?  If it didn't work for the system the first time, why try that route again?  Make the system cheaper to manufacture and bring something new to the table.  If Sony learns from the mistakes they made, they could more easily take Nintendo on in the handheld market.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

leo-j said:
This should be the psp2

Well I do suppose that'd be right up Sony's alley. Just copy the iPhone, put some half-assed gaming technology in it and sell for $999. :p 

2008 Predictions:

Wii: 44 Million
Xbox360: 25 Million
PS3: 22 Million

DS: 90 Million
PSP: 37 Million

If Sony releases another handheld, it won't be called a PSP2 or "playstation" anything. I'm pretty sure they'll ditch the UMDs and go completely downloadable too.

first off they dont need to make a new psp.

Why? You cant go any higher in handheld graphics.

It so advanced it basicly upgrades its self, its now a radio/camera/interent/music/photo/playstation device.

Pretty soon Im sure they will add phone features.

mM