By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The fate of the PSP

shams said:
PSP has succeeded easily in terms of hardware - as a portable video player (disc or stick), music player, remote PS3 player, etc.

But if measured in terms of software performance - its a complete failure.

Sony should work on getting a PS2 into a handheld - if the PSP II can play PS2 games (either by disc, or by publishers re-releasing them via UMD or even digitally) - it will be a smash hit.

I'd love to have a "true" portable PS2.

2008 will be more of 2007. Solid hardware sales (will drop considerably post-Xmas, but Sony should drop prices again for Xmas '08), but software titles will rarely be seen in the charts.

Wasn't that the problem with the PSP, that many games were similar to the PS2?

Around the Network

@plz

It was the ram not the UMD. The psp had 32mb of ram and in order for the hihgeh end graphcis to run properly loading times had to be big for no lagging.

Sony should have released it with 64mb.

mM

The slim has 64 mb of ram, why do load times still suck ass?

"Why isn't samus in a mario kart game?"

@olz

Becuase the UMD games were built on 32mb of ram..

mM

Okay fine you win this one.

Good luck on your DMC fanboy war.

"Why isn't samus in a mario kart game?"

Around the Network

I think that the hardware sales will be enough to have the system survive for a while. Sony will develop many titles themselves, and will pay many companies to develop titles, even if they don't sell that much. The goal of this will be to make money with hardware sales.

I think most of us are underestimating the shelf life of the PSP. It's selling absolutely brilliantly at the moment. Next year there's a number of games that can actually carry the system worldwide, which is something I'm not sure we have ever been able to say. God of War and Final Fantasy are huge titles.

On top of that, Sony has stated numerous times they're working on a digital media store. If it actually releases by the end of next year and is set up well, that's gonna be a big draw for this multimedia system.

Finally, there's still probably room for another price drop and/or redesign during 2009 that could continue to fuel sales. By the end of 2009, flash memory would be cheap enough that Sony could introduce an additional slightly higher end PSP model that has built in memory of 4-8gb, which would make it a more viable movie player. So there could be a $150 regular PSP and a $200 8gb model, or something like that.

Sony has never introduced a successor system after just 4 and half years. They're not gonna want to give up the millions of users they already have in order to start over with a new system. So they're gonna do whatever they can to keep the current PSP alive just like the PS1 and PS2.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

i can't wait for Crisis Core
but i'm having a hell lot of fun with Tactics and Breath of Fire III right now..

''Hadouken!''

@leo-j

You didn't win. The amount of ram does not really affect the load time. The UMD has slow seek time. And seeking from a 1.8GB disk can take a while.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

^ fksumot

You kidding right? An Ds title might cost a 1/4 of a PS2 title and Psp 1/2 that of a PS2 game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.