By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The fate of the PSP

What will happen to it? Will it hang on until a PSP2 can be relased, or will its software saes fizzle out, killing te system? My guess is that Sony will relase the PSP 2 in 2009 at the earliest, because otherwise the console life cycle would be broken and nobody would be willing to buy the PSP2 for fear of it being replaced.

I also predict that throughout 2008, PSP software will stutter but won't give out. There are quite a few 1st and 3rd party heavy hitters coming out, and probably a little bit of just plain good 3rd party software. In 2009 leading up to the PSP2 relase (probably will be relased in the fall, so 9 months or so) the PSP will run on fumes- crappy 3rd party support, may be one big game or two, and a couple good first party games. I think the PSP will surive though and will live on to have a second generation.

The PSP should continue to sell fne, however. Thanks to the fact that the PSP is a jack-of-all-trades device, people may still buy it when there is only garbage software avialble. Or perhaps Sony might do what they are doing with the PS2 now- having all software on the shelves be "players choice games"

What do you think will happen to the PSP?

Also, here is my prediciton for the PSP2- 

Sony will get an itunes like store for PSP out somtime next  year, and will liekly have it nearly perfected for when the PSP2 comes out. The PSP2 should be around $250-300 at launch, and should have XBOX-Wii level graphics. I think Sony will really focus on it being an iPod that also plays awsome games. Perhpas Sony will focus more on making sre the PSP has great software in it's first year to combat piracy.  

Around the Network

Just a question. Which platform cost more to developed for? DS or PSP? Any estimations?

Convergent, multifunction products like the PSP will have the problem of directiion and specialization. Sony's PSP will sell as a multimedia player first and a game console second. Sales should remain pretty stable throughout next year.

For the PSP2- If I were Sony, I would take a careful look at what people like to do with the PSP. I'd make it a much more accessible multimedia tool. Drop security altogether (it'll get hacked anyway) and basically make a cheap laptop with DVD playback, MP3 player, a decent resolution LCD display and hard drive. As a side note, it can play PSP games.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Yeah for PSP2 they could just drop game development all together, but make it backwards compatible... that might actually be a good idea, but it could also be a precursor to Sony leaving the video game market entirely...

Well, Sony's angle to this is to be a complete entertainment hub. Nintendo's strength right now lies in games, so Sony should approach the market from a different angle, IMO. Making a unified multimedia hub would give them a foothold to build a portable gaming angle.

Around the Network

Why would they make a psp2? Tell me just tell me.

mM

it would be cool but pretty expensive for a handheld

The same reason every console makes a sequel.

A chance to learn from past mistakes.

A chance to use stronger tech for the same price.

A chance to boost sales.

A chance to not get swallowed by competitors' new systems.

There is one thing you must consider..

and that's that when a console is dying, not only the software sales go down, but certainly and usually first the hardware sales go down..

and the hardware sales of the PSP are still respectable
cause many people don't use the PSP only for games

''Hadouken!''

Ajax-

Most consoles are not bought primarily as a multi media device. PSP is not games driven, or at least to the Extent that everyother console is.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.