By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The fate of the PSP

The psp is doing fine and should last for a minimum 2-3 more years. In 2 years I expect the successor to come out.

Around the Network

I don't know if you've noticed it
but the PSP has sold almost as much as the Wii worldwide this week

''Hadouken!''

Rock: What can Sony introduce with the PSP2 as an advantage over the Nintendo DS that the PSP doesn't already have?
Hard-Place: With software sales being what they are, how long will third party publishers be willing to produce PSP games when they can have lower costs and higher sales with a Nintendo DS game?

did i already say that Crisis Core will rock?

''Hadouken!''

outlawauron said:
^ fksumot

You kidding right? An Ds title might cost a 1/4 of a PS2 title and Psp 1/2 that of a PS2 game.

If you were to make very similar games in terms of quality and quantity of content for the PS2 and PSP you would find that their development costs would be roughly equal; the PSP was sold as a portable PS2 and that characterization is fairly accurate, so why would you expect development costs to be different?

On the other hand the DS is fairly close to the N64 in raw processing power, and you would find that developing a similar game on the DS to a N64 game would be similar in development costs.

Now, many people do not remember this but back in the early days of the Dreamcast and PS2 many publishers were complaining about the ballooning cost of videogame development; they were complaining about it costing (roughly) 4 times as much to develop a Dreamcast/PS2 game as it did to produce a Playstation/N64 game.

The reason the four times multiplier keeps showing up in the industry is that when you make a generational jump with 3D graphics the graphical assets tend to require (at least) twice as long to produce, and you need (at least) twice as many in the same area to create a believeable environment; being that the advent of 3D graphics in games is also associated with the number of artists (greatly) outnumbering the number of programmers it becomes clear as to why the increase in artist workload would dramaticaly increase the cost of a project.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
^ fksumot

You kidding right? An Ds title might cost a 1/4 of a PS2 title and Psp 1/2 that of a PS2 game.

Not kidding.

leo-j said:
@Ajax

Ever thought that ds owners will move up to psp? Since the psp is more nexgen than the nexgen nintendo handheld?

Leo. if you are still holding out hope that the PSP's advanced hardware is going to ever help it get an edge on the DS, you have a problem. You have swallowed the Sony company line and fallen into a pit of pure lunacy. There will be no DS to PSP migration because the DS is superior in terms of current library and future games to come. The PSP's third party support is drying up as people start to realize, nothing but the biggest and best of uber hyped 3rd party games are going to even reach respectable sales. For crying out loud, DQ4 DS is going to run LAPS around the 3 year hyped Crisis Core. The ROI on a game like DQ4 must be RIDICULOUS.

Its funny to see you guys say in one thread that the PSP has such healthy hardware sales but lackluster software sales, and that because of that, the PSP is going to have a healthy lifespan and go on to do well in the future, then you guys go over to a Wii thread and say it has healthy hardware sales but lackluster software sales, and because of that it is dooooooomed. 

I dunno what will happen but i love my PSP. I fly between the EU and the US at least 10 times a year which on average is between 8-10 hours in the air depending where i take off and land. I love the multi media aspect of it. I would get bored playingonly games for that long. There are about 5 games that i like and a couple more on the way (Crisis Core) so i think it is a success. I think Sony should hold off on the PSP2 if there will be one and improve on this.

God of War , Crisis Core , Dissidia , Gran Turismo 4 Portable , Wipeout Pulse , Kingdom Hearts BBS , Patapon , Monster Hunter Freedom 2 G , Secret Agent Clank , Portable Ops 2 .... well I wouldent say that the PSP has a lack of huge/quality games in the future . Actually I think 08 and 09 will be the best year , quality software wise for the PSP . Yes , it wont sell as well as maybe on other platforms , but untill companys like Capcom , Square Enix , Sony , EA and others are still making great ammount of money on it , than it will have support .

I would see the PSP2 comming out in Q4 2010 . It will be ~ 2x as powerfull as this model , it will have larger , but faster UMDs , 2 nubs , a harddrive , batter battery , a higher resolution screen and great online support , because by then the PSN will be similar if not batter than the XBL , and the console will cost at launch 200 $ , max 250 $ ... This is my prediction at least , so nobody has to bealive it .

Is the PSP a failure . NO , and get this stupid idea out of your head . Its a succes , by nearly all means . Its true , Sony probably wanted to dethrone the DS , but it wasnt possible , but rather going on the way of the N-gage or Genesis , they had chosen a nother way , and created themselves a new handheld market , from older GBA users , and new PS fans ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

its a success hardware wise but software wise its a dismal failure.

this weeks sales are..

psp top 50 1(daxter at 26)

ds top 50 13

psp top 200 10

ds top 200 53

ds wins hands down

I want wii fit and I want it now