By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The fate of the PSP

SteveSmith said:
Anyone knows if Sony makes profit for each PSP sold, or if they lose money on each PSP sold? The PSP with all its components looks expensive.

At this point they probably make money with them ... even at first , the loss was really small , so I think saying that they started to win at ~ 12-16 million is fairly accurate ...

Hardware wise the PSP is doing great . The only issue that seriously hurts it is hardware . But one can only wonder , if the software sales are really so bad as many state , why do 3rd party publishers even make games for it > 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Touch Screen Ds,

Touch screen mobile phones,

*ipod Touch,

I wonder what the PSP2 will have!!

*I've hated ipods for years and have always said there are much better mp3 players, but my son just got an ipod touch and it's a pretty fine device!!

If the PSP2 added touch controls, it will be almost as if the PSP surrendered to the DS

Video Game Papercrafts

The only reason Sakurai allowed Snake is because he was already a clone

Wii Friend Code: 2854 9908 3926 2816

Jetlogs said:
If the PSP2 added touch controls, it will be almost as if the PSP surrendered to the DS

Why is that ... wit Ive forgot , there wherent no PDAs untill the DS came out right .... I would like the PSP2 to have a touchscreen , but not for gaming ,  for browsing the net :D

ssj12 said:
PSP2 will use mini-Blu-ray discs able to hold 14GB each.

Playstation and Blu-ray: a proven winning combination.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

I think that Sony have learnt from their mistackes , and they wont add BRD to thge next PSP . UMD2 is my bet , with ~ 4-5 GB of space :)

Can't they use some sorts of carts or flash drives instead?

hunter_alien said:
SteveSmith said:
Anyone knows if Sony makes profit for each PSP sold, or if they lose money on each PSP sold? The PSP with all its components looks expensive.

At this point they probably make money with them ... even at first , the loss was really small , so I think saying that they started to win at ~ 12-16 million is fairly accurate ...

Hardware wise the PSP is doing great . The only issue that seriously hurts it is hardware . But one can only wonder , if the software sales are really so bad as many state , why do 3rd party publishers even make games for it >

hahaha, a typo i presume?

I have a PSP Slim and I only have 4 games and I only see myself buying 4 all of 2008. (at the most)

But I, like I am sure many others, use my PSP for many things as well as gaming. I've never really been a handheld guy (although I used to love my ol gameboy) but the PSP is a great piece of hardware.

I think i might grab a DS though, my nearby EB has a "sell one game, get a DS for 99.99" deal. So it is very cheap and has a few game that i really want to play.

Stats87 said:
hunter_alien said:
SteveSmith said:

hahaha, a typo i presume?

I have a PSP Slim and I only have 4 games and I only see myself buying 4 all of 2008. (at the most)

But I, like I am sure many others, use my PSP for many things as well as gaming. I've never really been a handheld guy (although I used to love my ol gameboy) but the PSP is a great piece of hardware.

I think i might grab a DS though, my nearby EB has a "sell one game, get a DS for 99.99" deal. So it is very cheap and has a few game that i really want to play.

Wops ... I meant software for the second time :?

hunter_alien said:
I think that Sony have learnt from their mistackes , and they wont add BRD to thge next PSP . UMD2 is my bet , with ~ 4-5 GB of space :)

can those be pirated?