By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just Dance. WTH Happened???

WereKitten said:
Metallicube said:

haha nice topic.. The problem with most mainstream game reviewers out there is that they mistakenly equate a good game to mean it must be art, rather than fun. Since Just Dance is not art, they mark it down, regardless of how fun it is.

Many hardcore gamers are guilty of this mistake as well.

Not really. I think as poorly of most reviewers as the next vgchartz forum dweller, but for the overwhelming part they are not into critique of games as art.

They review the games like other people reviews bikes or cars: as products. And just like in magazines and websites of cars' and bikes' geeks they are mostly self-referential in their assessment of design and values offered by the products, and often out of touch with what an "outsider" would find good in them. Just Dance was a game that was poorly reviewed, not because it was not art, but because these bike geeks found fatal flaws in it that marred its fun factor -flaws that were apparently immaterial to most bike users.

Still, this has zero to do with art vs fun, only with different frames of reference and value assessment.

Which does kind of fit the complaining about lack of features, showing that reviewers often think of games like a checklist instead of flat out fun factor.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Maybe you should just start visiting handbags.com for your video game reviews or something.

I think you missed the parody here.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Carl2291 said:

Maybe you should just start visiting handbags.com for your video game reviews or something.

I think you missed the parody here.

I didn't, don't worry.

I agree with the Source's assertion that it's women that are buying up this thing like bottled water, but not just because it's got a pretty cover and is a dance game.  It's actually because it's actually a fun title.  I've played Just Dance 2 a little bit with my girlfriend and have to admit that I enjoy it.  The choreography is hilarious and the game encourages to act like a fool without worries.  This game is more fun than the several other dance games on the Wii and it's sales indicate that women are smarter than most men believe. 

I also think that a big reason for the game's success is because all of the content is already unlocked.  You just throw in the disc and Just Dance.  I know that this might not be the game for everyone, but I definitely understand it's appeal.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

They named it right... if it wasn't named after a Lady Gaga song I'm sure it wouldn't have sold as much

Around the Network

@lordtheknight  The demos would be great, if the damn WIi actually had some demos (not WiiWare ones) so i dont see how that plays into this, im not gonna take the advice of some 12 year old Justin Beiber loving teeny booper, when it comes to games. As for reviews did u even read some, because the common theme is that the game does a poor job of tracking your movement and call me crazy but in a dancing game i would have thought that would be kind of important. Its funny people defend the game seem to always ignore this flaw, if it doesnt bother you then more power to you, but lets not act like this game is perfect

So that's why more people have gone out and bought the sequel when they experienced the broken controls of the first game. These dancing game work (same control problems are brought up in reviews from similar games), you just have to take into account rhythm, timing and movements (also repetition helps); and some people just don't have that.

For example, I saw the other day in gametrailers motion section review Beat Sketcher for the PS3 Move, and the reviewer didn't get the controls, but they where reasonable easy draw and click taking into account timing. Since she sucked at it, she couldn't recommend it, although I'm sure the game is a good value for 10 bucks!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I just can't wait to see how many won't be able to detect the sarcasm. Funny answers incoming.

Above: still the best game of the year.

oniyide said:

poor job of tracking your movement

Its funny people defend the game seem to always ignore this flaw

Most people aren't good dancers, accurate tracking means they all get 0 score, LOL.

The point of the game isn't about accurate tracking. It's about having fun and following the on screen movements and not care too much for accuracy.

Being accurate is probably become a much bigger flaw than being inaccurate. Especially for this game.

Just Dance dissapoints me. I was expecting to outsell Wii Play, even if Ubisoft says they made good profit with these sales.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile