By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just Dance. WTH Happened???

TheSource said:

Women. Ubisoft says 80% of sales were to women between age 12 and 19. That market is highly underserved on Wii. You have to remember, the Wii base is 50% female - there is no good reason for publishers not to target the 40m women who own a Wii, but they don't seem to know what women want.

The game is goofy fun, so girls just want to have fun. So those publishers should have asked Ciny Lauper.

But seriously, too many people in the gaming industry are stuck on this notion that people want photo realism and lots of cut scenes, and for all we know, all demographics prefer fun, just developers seem to forget how to do tha without loading on the other things.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Word of mouth - this game is fun, and people tell other people that it's fun. That works better than reviews.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

You know I was at first skeptical dismissing it as another piece of shovelware, boy how wrong was I when I got to try it out. It's got to be one of the funnest games I've encountered last year, it was just brilliant fun for goofing around with friends, I've recorded a friend of mine dancing to Toxic by Britney Spears, he was not happy trololollolool.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Metallicube said:

haha nice topic.. The problem with most mainstream game reviewers out there is that they mistakenly equate a good game to mean it must be art, rather than fun. Since Just Dance is not art, they mark it down, regardless of how fun it is.

Many hardcore gamers are guilty of this mistake as well.

Not really. I think as poorly of most reviewers as the next vgchartz forum dweller, but for the overwhelming part they are not into critique of games as art.

They review the games like other people reviews bikes or cars: as products. And just like in magazines and websites of cars' and bikes' geeks they are mostly self-referential in their assessment of design and values offered by the products, and often out of touch with what an "outsider" would find good in them. Just Dance was a game that was poorly reviewed, not because it was not art, but because these bike geeks found fatal flaws in it that marred its fun factor -flaws that were apparently immaterial to most bike users.

Still, this has zero to do with art vs fun, only with different frames of reference and value assessment.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Galaki said:
TheSource said:

but they don't seem to know what women want.

LOL.

I am sure many of us lived and died and still don't know what women want.

i think women want everything and last week at that

yeah i love watching fit girls dance and jump about thanks ubi

Above & Beyond

Around the Network

on topic

i don't really understand what you are saying,what are you comparing

are you just complaining or crowing?

Above & Beyond

z101 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I mean, reveiwers hated it, and they are sooooooo reliable when it comes to both Wii games and judging party games fairly. Plus not a single PS3 or 360 game has sold well with mediocre reviews.

The people wanted a dance game, and this was the only one available. By the way: Just Dance 2 and the Jackson-Game got many good reviews. One advantage of this games is, that you can play them with up to 4 people. This is the reason many people buy it (and some of the reason Kinect Dance games will never get so much sales).

I have played all 3 games at some time or another. The first Just Dance was terrible, I have no idea how it was a hit. I was obviously low-budget and the scoring didn't make any sense. The Michael Jackson game was a huge hit at Christmas and Just Dance 2 seemed to fix the problems Just Dance 1 had, those two could actually be considered games.

The first one was aimed at people who don't care about scores and just want to move and get a workout to some songs they know. Finally people could buy a 2nd game to go along with their wii fit. I don't think that Ubisoft even expected it to be as big of a hit at is was since they had such a small budget for it.

psrock said:

Maybe because reviews has no effect on Wii games sales at all. How many of the 5 million people who bought acually read a review for it?

To be fair PS3 fans cares more about reviews than any other fans. 

that makes the players more sad

Maybe you should just start visiting handbags.com for your video game reviews or something.

from what i seen the game was marketed perfectly