By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Big 3 Gaming Divisions Profits since 2000

There is almost a $28 billion disparity between nintendo and ms/sony.

It's not even competitive, unless you think the Washington Generals are competitive against the Globetrotters.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
puffy said:

Seeing it all layed out in a pretty graph like this really makes one wonder why Sony went for the loss leading strategy again with the NGP. Clearly Nintendo's strategy is superior and if I were a Sony investor I'd be asking about this.

Well we don't yet know that Sony is going to go with a loss leading strategy with the NGP but I agree with you. I don't understand why Sony ,or MS for that matter, doesn't adopt Nintendo's strategy.

For the next generation of consoles I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo moved further towards Nintendo's strategy; but for the past couple of generations Microsoft has been more focused on building a userbase than turning a profit.

Sony (on the other hand) seems to have a much more difficult to understand strategy. I could be wrong but I suspect that Sony's strategy with the Playstation 2, PSP and PS3 has been to (potentially) recover their massive losses by creating brand loyalty, producing alternative revenue streams for other divisions within Sony, and the development of new media formats with licencing fees. I think there is some reason to believe that a teenager or young adult who buys a Playstation product and loves the system may have a bias towards buying other Sony products in the future, but with how margins are shrinking on consumer electronics due to very inexpensive competition, I'm not sure these additional brand based sales are meaningful enough to cover their losses.

Impressive work! You could add another set of bars where it shows the total each company has accumulated since 2000.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

HappySqurriel said:

I could be wrong but I suspect that Sony's strategy with the Playstation 2, PSP and PS3 has been to (potentially) recover their massive losses by creating brand loyalty

Exactly what I kept seeing from posters here, too.

It's the Sony's fans that are expecting Sony to give them a top of the line piece of technology at an unbeatable low low price.

Grimes said:

There is almost a $28 billion disparity between nintendo and ms/sony.

It's not even competitive, unless you think the Washington Generals are competitive against the Globetrotters.

f..ken hilarious 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I still have no idea how Nintendo managed to lose money in the first quarter of the current fiscal year, but that's probably because I never asked this in the VGC forums. So what did Nintendo do?

They took a one time loss due to exchange rate being so unfavorable to Japanese export companies. Accounting tricks.

Kynes said:
RolStoppable said:

I still have no idea how Nintendo managed to lose money in the first quarter of the current fiscal year, but that's probably because I never asked this in the VGC forums. So what did Nintendo do?

They took a one time loss due to exchange rate being so unfavorable to Japanese export companies. Accounting tricks.

Pretty much, while I think Sony keeps doing them every quarter. 

Does anyone know where the table is the lists the profit/loses of nintendo vs sce vs edd which list back further than these tables?

Nintendo scares me.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

table with more years:

Wow Nintendo