By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Big 3 Gaming Divisions Profits since 2000

PS3 really was a financial disaster for sony. well the system was still good for the consumer :)

Around the Network
Crystalchild said:

someone please explain to me why microsoft made the 360, when the original xbox failed so hard.. okay, ms made the righ thing there after all, but well.. still.. it was risky.

and i was thinking that ms and sony would make a little bit more money in general. ^^ (Nintendo is just scary though.)

Micirosoft likes to operate in 3 phases with alot of products, which basically involves getting into a market, gain market share by simply out doing the competition with no regard to losses and then dominating the market and transforming it to become highly profitable/benefitical to Microsoft. Also its not risky for Microsoft, risky would be making there next OS open source.

Is this hardware only profits because I know ps2 made a massive amount in software 

DarkintheLight said:

Is this hardware only profits because I know ps2 made a massive amount in software 

Nope, it's everything in the respective gaming divisions, software included.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

somehow I have a feeling that Sony and Microsft numbers don't include software teams, while Nintendo's do

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
kingofwale said:

somehow I have a feeling that Sony and Microsft numbers don't include software teams, while Nintendo's do

Nope,  if you read their financial statements there is no doubt that these figures includes game software revenue.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Denial is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.

And so as the PS3 and 360 ants continue to squabble for the crumbs, oblivious to the giant boot that is the Wii coming down to crush them...

O.o Ok but seriously the amount of profit the Wii is raking in is just criminal...

Khuutra said:

That is a good-looking graph, Seece. How soon after Sony releases Q3 figures will you be able to update?

They update thursday so same day surely. I have no idea if they'll profit or post a loss again, if they profit though, we stand a chance of seeing all 3 profitable for the FY, something of a landmark!!!

liu777 said:

And so as the PS3 and 360 ants continue to squabble for the crumbs, oblivious to the giant boot that is the Wii coming down to crush them...

O.o Ok but seriously the amount of profit the Wii is raking in is just criminal...

Was insane take a lot at FY 2011 though, MS are now taking the lionshare. I'm sure this'll reverse soon enough but I can't seen Nintendo ever going back to Wii 2008/2009 profits due to the strong yen and the likes.