By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Big 3 Gaming Divisions Profits since 2000

Does Sony manufacture their consoles in the United States? I thought the company was Japan based but it doesn't look like the strong yen had any effect at all on the PS3.

Around the Network

WTF the PS2 lost money its 2nd year on the market? How'd that happen?

And dayummm both Sony and MS have lost big bucks recently. Sony since the PS3 and MS since...well the Xbox, excluding the last couple years. 

liu777 said:

Does Sony manufacture their consoles in the United States? I thought the company was Japan based but it doesn't look like the strong yen had any effect at all on the PS3.

AFAIK, all hardware pieces are printed elsewhere in China or Indonasia or somewhere with cheap labor.

Hardware made in Japan is really rare nowadays since their labour cost is higher than even the USA.

wow the gamecube did alright despite losing lol.

Crystalchild said:

someone please explain to me why microsoft made the 360, when the original xbox failed so hard.. okay, ms made the righ thing there after all, but well.. still.. it was risky.

and i was thinking that ms and sony would make a little bit more money in general. ^^ (Nintendo is just scary though.)

The Xbox lost money because of the contracts MS had with componenet vendors.  nVidia and the HDD manufacturers refused to reduce the price of their respective components yet MS had to cut the market price of the console to stay competitive. 

That's why they rushed to move to the X360 and dropped Xbox support so fast.

As for Nintendo profits being down this year, that is due to a one time currency exchange write off of ~$729 million dollars.   The same quarter they took this charge they technically would have posted more than $500 million in profits had they not taken the write off.   They also took a write off in 2005 which accounted for the first quarterly loss in the company's 100 year history.  FY profits will be up next year almost by default.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

The Xbox lost money because of the contracts MS had with componenet vendors.  nVidia and the HDD manufacturers refused to reduce the price of their respective components yet MS had to cut the market price of the console to stay competitive. 

That's why they rushed to move to the X360 and dropped Xbox support so fast.

As for Nintendo profits being down this year, that is due to a one time currency exchange write off of ~$729 million dollars.   The same quarter they took this charge they technically would have posted more than $500 million in profits had they not taken the write off.   They also took a write off in 2005 which accounted for the first quarterly loss in the company's 100 year history.  FY profits will be up next year almost by default.

Nintendo is a hack. Making money while losing money.

Hah, everyone is damn surprised at Nintendo profiting more than Sony in the PS2 years... why, guys? Nintendo has ALWAYS been about profit! The Gamecube raked in money for Nintendo even when it was selling for a measly $100, and the GBA rampaged the market because it barely had competition...

Anyway, this is a damn good thread, good job Seece.

Wow! Good job, Seece.

Btw, if you can, write GBA, DS and PSP launch in the graph to prevent confusion.

Grimes said:
DarkintheLight said:

Is this hardware only profits because I know ps2 made a massive amount in software 

Nope, it's everything in the respective gaming divisions, software included.

I don't get people that post like that, where do they think software revenue goes into? Another whole department?

This is why I used to laugh my ass off at people thinking that Nintendo would go the way of Sega after the Gamecube. The difference between Nintendo and Sega is that Nintendo made/makes money. Despite high quality software, Sega never was able to come close to Nintendo's profit margin.