By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 is the gaming GOD in sales!

fazz said:
Yeah, those where the times. When Sony could live only from the income generated by the Playstation brand.

Also, I blame the Playstation 2 and it's old school GPU for setting up a standard of crappy graphics... oh wait!

cumulative operational income of playstation brand since it exist is less important than operational income of Nintendo in just 006/2007.

playstation 1995/2007: approximatively 1.231 billion euros

nintendo 2006/2007: approximatively 1.380 billion euros

the playstation 3 losses are HUGE !!

sony financial report

nintendo annual report

(sorry for my english! )

Around the Network
TWRoO said:

If we are talking hardware quality, GC pwns all of this and last gens home consoles.

Hardware quality consists of a number of things IMO;

physical durabilty [GC>XB>>>>PS2]
electronic durability [GC>>>XB>>PS2]
design [GC>PS2>>>XB] (PS2 slim would be above GC though)
hardware capabilities (tech specs) [XB>GC>>>>PS2]
controller (yes it is part of hardware) [GC>>PS2>>>>XBsmall>>>>>>>>>>>XB]
practicality of design [PS2>>GC>>>>>>XB]

by the way i basically made all that up on the spot.

looking at my recently made up list, and taking into account various weighting i am going to apply to stuff (ie controller is more important than the design)

I can easily see GC>>>>>PS2>>XB.
What was wrong with the GC was it set of on the wrong foot and had a poor selection of third partys on board etc

If i apply the same things to this gen I would say
Wii>PS3>>>360 (you can tell i don't put much of a weight onto tech specs)

None of the above however manages to affect the sales much... sales are down to games and marketing for the most part.

You can't just add that together like design is as important as hardware capabilities. For the first, the design is a personal subject. I, for example, think that PS2 Slim doesn't look well at all, it's just a practical design. It's no question for me that the Xbox was better in this spot. By the way, do you look on the console or the screen when you play? The hardware capabilities are more important than all other spots together! (maybe not controller capabilities). And, the small Xbox controller is the best ever made (the 360 controller doesn't have the White and Black buttons). I'd say that the GC controller is the worst. It almost looks like a toy. REMEMBER: The more buttons, the higher possibility!

Why was the PS2 so popular then? IT'S CHEAPER!!! Many of my friends that bought a PS2 like 4 years ago wanted to change to an Xbox some weeks later. They thought that the difference in tech specs was less than the difference in price. The Xbox was clearly the best old-gen console, like the PS3 is now. The reason because the PS3 is so unpopular right now is the PRICE!!!

Sony earned enough with money on the PS1&2 to be able to make some high spec consoles, like PSP and PS3. Microsoft and Nintendo earned too few money, so they had to do worse consoles now!

You know why Oddworld just went on the Xbox? Because of the graphics! It was planned to be a PS2 exclusive, but the console was too crappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The PS2 is clearly too overrated...

Avinash_Tyagi said:
113 million PS2 consoles sold, Wii will crush that

We know, you said so before...

PS2 is the gaming GOD in sales!

Sure it is, but it doesn't absolutely deserve it!!!

fkusumot said:
jhlennon1 said:
The PS2 will forever be the best selling console EVER. It's just the way it is.

As fast as Lightning, DS says hi!

People would LOVE for the DS to conquor the PS2, but this is pretty unlikely. Then again, is the DS even considered a console? I mean, the term would be handheld, right?

Remember the PS2 debuted at a staggering $500 during its time. DS is inexpensive just like the Wii. Consumers eat up inexpensive things. The quality doesn't matter or else the PS3 would be on top. It is and always has been price. So in the end, I am still shocked that a console could create such sales numbers (I think it officially sold like 110 million.)

In any case, this could be the primary reason why SONY is hated so much. It was their destiny to go down this generation because a company has NEVER been on top 3 generations in a row. 

End of Year predictions:

Wii | 17.5 million ----> 19.20 million as of new year

X360 | 16 million ----> 16.02 million as of new year

PS3 | 8.7 million -----> 8.86 million as of new year

DAMNN I really underestimated the freaking Wii - Sheaaat! 

Lifetime Sales

Wii | 60-80 million

X360 | 50-60 million

PS3 | 100+ million (I believe the PS3 will still be around when other NEW consoles arrive...there won't be a PS4 for quite some time.)

Around the Network
Smooth Criminal said:
fkusumot said:
jhlennon1 said:
The PS2 will forever be the best selling console EVER. It's just the way it is.

As fast as Lightning, DS says hi!

People would LOVE for the DS to conquor the PS2, but this is pretty unlikely. Then again, is the DS even considered a console? I mean, the term would be handheld, right?

I think the term has little relevance when you look at how the DS is propping up the videogame market. The argument has been made that developers are making money on their DS titles and that is allowing them to fund projects for other videogame titles. If it's all one big videogame market and money being made on one system is helping projects on another then it's undeniably interconnected.

Yesterdays news, jeo-l

The DS could take it over , but it will never make such a huge splas amongst hardcore gamers as the PS2 did ... but than again , it may also get some huge killers , and I wil be than wrong ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

PS2, undoubtedly the best system money could ever buy.

And it's still alive! Let's rock like in 2003!

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Avinash_Tyagi said:
113 million PS2 consoles sold, Wii will crush that

yes it will....good thing the ps2 is at 130 million.