By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 is the gaming GOD in sales!

In leo-j's defense, he was mostly speaking of software sales.

Prediction:

The PS2 & PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2008.

Lifetime sales of PS3 in Japan will be at least 8 million consoles.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy series are the worse games every. Now, someone hurry send me the whole series to prove me wrong.

Mountie said:
I own a PS2 and GC and there are plenty of good games on both. Its WAY too difficult to try and compare game libraries though, especially with opinions like Zelda>>>KH. So does one game justify all?!?

Going strictly off of IGN, GC had:

36 games classified Outstanding
9 games classified Incredible

PS2 had:

109 Outstanding
35 Incredible

Now, especially in the inredible department (9.5+ score) that's pretty phenomenal (granted like half of them are GTA). Now you can say IGN is anti-Nintendo all you want, but I can't see anyone saying there isn't SOMETHING to play in that list on PS2.

@takeru51, how can you not find games??!? You must have very picky tastes. Are you saying you haven't played a Square game since Super Mario RPG??? No Final Fantasy????

Ha ha, actually, I do have very picky tastes. It frustrates me greatly when I buy a game and I don't like it, even if it's a used game I get for 5 bucks off amazon. I actually don't like the Final Fantasy games that much, it's not like I hate them or anything, but to me the combat system ain't that fun and the stories have never interested me. Although I must make it very clear that I haven't played every one, and like all series, I know that some are better than others.

As for the "outstanding" games, I'd like to play them before I buy them. The ones I've played so far were nothing special, IMO of course, and like I said, I don't like to buy and be disappointed. It really seems to me that PS2 games quite simply are not my style...

As an example, I give you my complaints with Shadow of the Colossus: http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=11188 

DarkNight_DS said:

Shadow of the Collossus was a Zelda game that lacked polish and an overworld with life. ;)

GTAIII and SA were not the best GTA game on the PS2

Ratchet was Spyro the dragon in a prettier suit

MGS2... you mean the snakeless MG?

FFX, worst voice over work ever!

I have all the games you listed, I liked them all. They all have their faults though. Not that they weren't fun. I had a lot of fun with them. Wind Waker was my favourite game last gen. Not that it was the best game for everyone, to each their own. You can easily pick apart Wind Waker for it's sailing.

I could also argue Shadow of Colossus was one of the most artistic and stylized games ever, and featured gameplay not found in any other game last generation. The fact that everyone relates adventure games automatically to Zelda worries me.

I'm actually not too big a fan of the GTA series, but they were immensely popular and critically-acclaimed, thus I threw them in there.

Ratchet is far, far, different than Spyro, despite the same developer. Probably not better than Zelda/Mario, but a fantastic series in its own right.

MGS2 does have its faults - and plenty of them, but was still a superb game. And MGS3, in my opinion, was not only the best in the series, but one of the best games of all-time.

My point is this: it is all opinion. Compeltely subjective.
In your opinion, the GC had the best games of the last generation. Mine is quite different. Does that mean either of us is in the wrong? By no means, no.

EDIT: 200! 

In summary:

Best selling console = best console

Not necessarily for YOU, but the people have voted......

Dictatorships run by grandmaster192 change everything.

Prediction:

Around the Network

I never owned a ps2, but even Sony haters can't ignore the fact that the ps2 outsold the GC like what, 5-6:1, so obviously they did something right.

Also, the most amusing thing of the last generation was that in terms of raw hardware power, the GC was hands down more powerful then the PS2, and I remember all the Nintendo fans at the time saying that hardware power > all and the Sony fans saying that having the weakest(hardware) console made no difference.

Fast forward to this gen, Nintendo has the weakest(hardware) with fans saying the hardware doesn't matter much, and the Sony fans with their epically powerful ps3 are yelling that hardware power > all.

A bit of a historical irony there I'd say....

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

Mountie said:
In summary:

Agreed!

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Of course PS2 sold more software.. it won last generation. I don't understand your point.

DarkNight_DS said:
Mountie said:
In summary:

Agreed!

Yeah, I agree too. Well said Mountie.

I think leo-j's point is that PS2 software sales will be tough to beat by any console or handheld. Just a guess though.

Its not crazy considering the console's longevity........

Prediction: