By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 is the gaming GOD in sales!

ps2 is at 130,000,000(as of TGS it could be more).

Also ssj12 confirmed the ps2 is being very undertracked.

mM
Around the Network

avinash_Tyagi is an extreme nintendo fanboy, as it stands now

playstation brand 300 million

wii 16 million

oh and the gap got about 1 million wider last week. Good luck Wii.

the ps2 is a beast.

kvh22000 said:
avinash_Tyagi is an extreme nintendo fanboy, as it stands now

Nintendo brand 450 million

PS3 8 million

oh and the gap got about 1 million wider last week. Good luck PS3.

the DS is a beast.

I couldn't agree more!  In all seriousness, the PS2 has been a phenomenal success.  It is always good to see my 3 favorite console makers find success (no offence to Coleco).

I know that nintendo has outsold sony overall and i am a nintendo fan as well but avinash_Tyagi claims that the wii will outsell the entire playstation brand...THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMBINED

Around the Network

Yup the PS2 is God. People that think the Wii will pass it soon need their heads checked IMO. Now I know the current sales are unlikely to continue at this rate forever but to base these outlandish predictions on the current sales is stupid:

Last week the Wii only outsold the PS2 by 184, 529 units...

So the Wii is now 96,889,940 units behind the PS2...

So at this rate it will take 525 weeks for the Wii to pass the PS2...

Or to put it a date on it: 2018.

I certainly know where you are coming from (kvh), and it would be a tall order for ANY system to outsell the entire PS brand ... ever.  My post was more meant for humor than anything else.

Again, I think the competition is great and am glad that all 3 companies are successful - though from different vectors.  It is also noteworthy that Sony posted those numbers with only 4 systems. 

Also (Danny) while I certainly don't think Wii will eclipse the PS2 soon, it is possible eventually IF Nintendo can carry "blue ocean" to its logical conclusion.  Plus, that is a fine target to shoot for, and it's great for Nintendo that they may have a shot this time around.

The PS2 is almost a stocking stuffer at this point. Its a great system. It has lots of good games, but its more nostalgic than anything else. My wife bought me some kind of Atari 2600 player thingy last year for Christmas for like 15 bucks. I am sure it sold butt tons, but it's pretty irrelivant. The PS2 is no longer driving innovation. Its just easy to program for and people are squeezing the last few bucks out of it. Not to mention if not for the PS2, Sonys entire console wing would have collapsed this past year. Great system, large footprint on gamings past, but little else.

I just dont think you can call the PS2 irrelevant when its still selling so many units. Its far from dead, it just missed out being the 2nd WW hardware last week by a couple of thousand! Looking at this years numbers it would be difficult to see them selling any less than 5m next year and I actually think the PS2 will go on to sell 3 or 4 million a year for the next 10 years.

Smooth Criminal said:

Remember the PS2 debuted at a staggering $500 during its time. DS is inexpensive just like the Wii. Consumers eat up inexpensive things. The quality doesn't matter or else the PS3 would be on top. It is and always has been price. So in the end, I am still shocked that a console could create such sales numbers (I think it officially sold like 110 million.)

In any case, this could be the primary reason why SONY is hated so much. It was their destiny to go down this generation because a company has NEVER been on top 3 generations in a row. 

Granted that I do not know from where you hail, but the PS2 did not debut at $500 in the U.S.  You cannot compare the pricing paradigm of the PS2 to the PS3.  While it is true that MOST of the sales came after the PS2 hit mass market pricing, is that really a surprise?  It is "mass market price" after all. 

Furthermore, the "quality doesn't matter" arguement is a thinly veiled slam on the Wii.  "Quality" is too vague a term in this case, and subject to one's priority.  Let's consider two of many areas of quality....

Media center quality:  The PS3 excels here (as does the 360), I use my PS3 connected to a 3 Terabyte RAID that contains my entire DVD library.  Plus the PS3 has blu-ray - which I won't go into because that has been done ad nauseam.

Build quality:  Sorry, but the Wii is a well designed unit.  I have had to return a PS3 this year because it stopped reading ANYTHING, and (whilst I do not YET own a Wii) reports around the net indicate it to be reliable as do my friends who have Wiis.

And there are many other qualities as we all know - comprehensiveness of library, first party exclusive quality, quality of connectivity etc.  Using Menchen philosophy on consumer taste just isn't appropriate here.  The Wii is NOT just selling because of its price.  It is a quality machine.  The fact that the qualities it possesses are not high on your priority list does not dimenish its status as such.

Also, I (as well MOST other people from what I've read here) do not HATE Sony, but I am very happy with Nintendo's success.  To imply that I (as a Nintendo afficianado) would revel in Sony's defeat would be highly fallacious.  I own a PS3, and I am not self loathing after all.

One last thing, (bulletstopper) while I understand your points, I must argue semantics a bit.  The PS2 IS a great system, just as the SNES IS a great system.  I dust it off every so often just to beat aLttP.  Current relevency does not make the system any less meaningful to those who have enjoyed it. 

EDIT:  Whoops, you changed your post while I was writing my long-winded diatribe.