By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Universal friend codes, yay!

Mr Khan said:

Perfect. My main issues with Nintendo's online system were that even after adding everything, it was all a crapshoot. Even with friends you had added, you needed to coordinate with them on when to play together outside the system. Now when i'm bored, get on, and see friends are playing Mario Kart, i just switch cartridges and i'm there

Indeed. FC were just way too much work and so user unfriendly. I just gave up halfway through the generation when it came to applying friend codes for different games. It's just a giant hassle that I don't want to deal with. Still, there were some 3rd parties that helped aleviate some of the frustration, like Rock Band 3, which takes your Wii system friends and tranfers them automatically to your RB3 friends.

But yeah, this universal FC is nice (would have liked to be known as Smeags, but 1143232202 isn't bad either. ) and it'll be great to just enter a friend's number once, and be done with it.

@Bird of Rain

Those are some good questions, It'll be interesting to see how Wii2 and 3DS work together.

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
Smeags said:
Mr Khan said:

Sweet, though hopefully it will also be able to show when friends are playing a given game online

Here's a statement from Nintendo (taken from the VGChartz GamrFeed story)

"Fans of online play will be happy to learn that the friend codes for Nintendo 3DS are specific to each Nintendo 3DS system, not each game. Once friends trade hardware codes, at any time they can check their friends list to see which of their friends are online and what they are playing."

That actually doesn't sound too different to how PSN is now... At least the friends list part.

It's exactly the same shit. The only difference is that you provide your friend with a number instead of a name you picked. After that, everything can work the same way. Of course, to some it's important to try to downplay the 3DS, so there you have the reasons for the whining you see here!

Smeags said:

But yeah, this universal FC is nice (would have liked to be known as Smeags, but 1143232202 isn't bad either. ) and it'll be great to just enter a friend's number once, and be done with it.

If it's anything like the current Friend Code system, you'll be able to give your friends nicknames.  So on their system you won't be 1143-2322-0202, but "Smeags."  Or perhaps something less flattering, depending on the friend... >_>

Anyways, this is good to hear. 

noname2200 said:

If it's anything like the current Friend Code system, you'll be able to give your friends nicknames.  So on their system you won't be 1143-2322-0202, but "Smeags."  Or perhaps something less flattering, depending on the friend... >_>

Anyways, this is good to hear. 

Oh yeah... forgot about that.

My biggest pet peeve ever was Brawl when it would only allow 5 letters to a name. Smeags wouldn't fit.

Smeags said:

I'm going to guess that you'll be going by something else. Maybe your Mii?

Around the Network

I never cared about friend codes in theory, I just cared about adding the same person for each game.  This is very good news

just think about as a phone number

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

They promised this with the Wii. I will believe it when it comes out.

so, another 7 years of "code" model?

Nintendo never learns. Mii is a great model, why can't you just have your own username and be done with it?

how many of us remembers our 'friend code" right off the top of my head?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

kingofwale said:

how many of us remembers our 'friend code" right off the top of my head?

You never had one ;)

Do you remember your phone number? Your cell number? Uhhhhh... it's reallyyyyy hard...