By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Universal friend codes, yay!

jarrod said:
Gojimaster said:

The real question I haven't seen in this thread yet:  Will the universal friend codes allow you to transfer virtual console downloads from one 3DS to another?

Hopefully Nintendo gives us a better way to redownload our purchases if our hardware malfunctions.

They already confirmed this.  You can transfer purchases from a 3DS to another 3DS, or from your DSi to a 3DS.  Not all (older) DSiWare games will transfer though and you have a limited number of transfers per purchase.

When was that confirmed? I knew you could transfer from your DSi to the 3DS but I never heard about transfering from 3DS to 3DS. Do you have a link where I could read more about it?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

While it is not as convenient as the PSN ID set-up, it is much, much better then what we've seen on the Wii and DS Friend Code system, which was incredibly annoying where you had to add Friend Code for dang near every game out there. Now with only one Friend Code per hardware, it's actually worth putting in Friend Codes with friends. Looking forward to the future of Nintendo online games.

Wii Friend Code: 0073-1348-5095-6720

Other Wii Friend Codes: Ask via PM.

PSN ID: Limelight788

Joelcool7 said:
jarrod said:
Gojimaster said:

The real question I haven't seen in this thread yet:  Will the universal friend codes allow you to transfer virtual console downloads from one 3DS to another?

Hopefully Nintendo gives us a better way to redownload our purchases if our hardware malfunctions.

They already confirmed this.  You can transfer purchases from a 3DS to another 3DS, or from your DSi to a 3DS.  Not all (older) DSiWare games will transfer though and you have a limited number of transfers per purchase.

When was that confirmed? I knew you could transfer from your DSi to the 3DS but I never heard about transfering from 3DS to 3DS. Do you have a link where I could read more about it?

I don't know if it has been confired by Nintendo somewhere, but play.com has it on their official product listing.

"System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.**"

Sorry to be posting so soon, but I did stumble upon some information you guys might like. Check here, it's regarding the Friend Code situation: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/live-from-nintendos-3ds-preview-with-reggie-fils-aime/

Then look at this quote:

"9:33AM Some of the new features will become operational with online system updates. There's also a new friend code system -- one code necessary, and you only need to register it once. When friends are registered over local wireless, it's instantaneous, with no code input needed."

This should get quite a few people excited.

Wii Friend Code: 0073-1348-5095-6720

Other Wii Friend Codes: Ask via PM.

PSN ID: Limelight788

09tarheel said:
Joelcool7 said:
jarrod said:
Gojimaster said:

I don't know if it has been confired by Nintendo somewhere, but play.com has it on their official product listing.

"System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.**"

But will you be able to transfer friend code data?

IE, if I friend a bunch of people, then buy a new DS or am forced to get another one due to technical problems or whatever, will I have to re-add everybody, or will everything carry over with the system transfer?

Honestly, it seems like the biggest issue with friend codes still persists:  everything is tied to a single piece of hardware instead of a hardware-agnostic personal account.

Around the Network
Limelight788 said:

Then look at this quote:

"9:33AM Some of the new features will become operational with online system updates. There's also a new friend code system -- one code necessary, and you only need to register it once. When friends are registered over local wireless, it's instantaneous, with no code input needed."

This should get quite a few people excited.

Thats awsome that means when I go to PAX or another gaming event I can just add people their on the spot thats amazing. Another thing I thought of that I'm sure Nintendo must have thought of already is linking the friend codes to Mii's. Then when you pass someone it gives you the opertunity to make a friend request. What good is having all these people's Mii's on your system if you have no idea who they are and don't have the chance to do so?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer