By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Universal friend codes, yay!

Thank god for universal codes! Finally Nintendo realises how awkward this thing is..

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

Example I ad Smeags I can name him Smeags.

Our clan could be the Teh Bat Cave Retired  Clan.

The real question I haven't seen in this thread yet:  Will the universal friend codes allow you to transfer virtual console downloads from one 3DS to another?

Hopefully Nintendo gives us a better way to redownload our purchases if our hardware malfunctions.

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Finally. When do we get usernames?

Gojimaster said:

The real question I haven't seen in this thread yet:  Will the universal friend codes allow you to transfer virtual console downloads from one 3DS to another?

Hopefully Nintendo gives us a better way to redownload our purchases if our hardware malfunctions.

I don't think thats going to happen. Nintendo is worried you'll buy tons of software online then buy a new handheld and upload all the software to that system. Then sell the old system and who ever gets it now has all those games which they inturn will not buy from Nintendo.

Now I believe Nintendo confirmed you will be able to transfer your DSiWare to your 3DS a one time thing. I think that is reasonable. You have to look at it through Nintendo's perspective they don't want tons of consumers getting games for free.

In the end the only way your going to transfer games is if your system brakes and you send it to Nintendo and they give you a new unit. Much like they transfer Wii VC games if your old Wii needs repair. I know it sucks but it makes perfect buisness sense. Don't forget everyone who upgrades consoles and rebuys all that content that is alot of money Nintendo is not going to want to part with.

Now an option would be to store all VC games on online servers. Meaning you accessed the games online with a code. But the downside to that is when ever Nintendo decided to stop hosting the content you'd be up shit creek.

TouchStone said:

Finally. When do we get usernames?

As for names, you name people when you add their code. This is far better then user names because you can name them anyway you please. Say somebody likes to be MicroCommodor but his name is Phil? You know him as phil so why not enter his name as phil. Then when you play him online you are left wondering who the heck is MicroCommodor?

As for user names for us we already have them via MyNintendo. My user name is of course JoelCool7. But as said above who needs online user names this is way easier and personal. Personally I will prefer this naming system to X-Box Live or PSN.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network
Onibaka said:

lol Universal IDs better than friend names?

Fanboys...

Hmmm Well actually I can't wait to play MH with my old username (or character name) because I know I wont be playing with a name like 843594385sj

Gojimaster said:

They already confirmed this.  You can transfer purchases from a 3DS to another 3DS, or from your DSi to a 3DS.  Not all (older) DSiWare games will transfer though and you have a limited number of transfers per purchase.

Just read this on gaf.  Excellent news.

And from what I understand, there's some sort of friends list accessible in-game at any time?  Sounds like they've really worked on making friend codes a more easy to use experience.

makingmusic476 said:

Just read this on gaf.  Excellent news.

And from what I understand, there's some sort of friends list accessible in-game at any time?  Sounds like they've really worked on making friend codes a more easy to use experience.

That's what I understand as well, yes.  It sounds like they're taking a lot of cues from Microsoft, which is fine by me. 

RolStoppable said:
KylieDog said:
Joelcool7 said:

Isn't this awsome

No, user created IDs are awesome, friend codes are not. 

Oh please, user created IDs only lead to people using their dog's name or similar silliness.

touché! my gamer tag IS my dog's name ^^

i'm all for random numbers... it'd be nice if you could mask them with a name you choose (like a phone number basically)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO