By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii owns the Platforme genre

bobbert said:
DKHustlin said:
freebs2 said:
bobbert said:

I think some of this might have to do with getting games approved for a disc. On wii, it is much easier to get your game approved by Nintendo for disc pressing than Sony and MS. I'm pretty sure the HD systems have requirements on the size of the game, and if it doesn't hit a certain size it becomes DLC.

New Super Mario, Kirby's Epic Yarn, DKC Returns; they are all great games, but can't be more than a couple hundred MB of data. They just re-use so many objects and the graphics are only marginally better than similar games which fit on a DS cart. In order for a 2D platformer to be non-DLC it has to be something as amazing as LBP or LBP2.

I don't really want to get into the 'casual' argument, but $50 or $60 for a 2D platformer is too much IMO for those Wii games when I can get Halo, COD, Fallout, etc. games for the same price. You have to know that way less development time went into those 2D games. Keep all those games as DLC unless it's something phenomenal (LBP) or aimed towards kids and discounted (Kung Fu Panda).

You clearly don't know how DS capability and  how DKCR graphical quality is.

Saying that you're implicity assuming that platform is an unworthy genre...I finished Fallout 3 in about 15 hours and never played it again for 60$, atm I'm playing DKCR which I bought for 50$, I've played it for 20 hours and still I'm about at half of the game, it seems like a much better deal to me.

As for develepment costs,I care about how good the final product is, not about how much they spent to make it. That's a developer's problem, not mine. If they don't think their product is appealing enough without tons of graphical development cash-burning is their problem. Also DKCR and SMG2 took 2.5 and 2 years to be developed, not different from many hi-quality HD games.

Last thing, if you consider LBP as a creative tool it's great, but if you consider it a platformer it's embarassing.

i agree with everything freebs said

also, wii platformers are "50 - 60" they are 50 flat, wii games dont price like HD games do unless they have a pack-in. also, "being phenomenal" isn't some sort of concrete goal. you think LBP is phenomenal, while others think DKCR, SMG, or KEY are phenomenal. regardless, the sales of all the platformers mentioned show that wii rules the genre.

X360/PS3 games are $60, that's why I say $50-60. On wii, they're 50, on HD systems, they're 60.

The XBL marketplace for indie games has different pricing based on the size of the game. If it's less than $50, you can charge 80MSP, otherwise you have to charge at least 240MSP.

I'm glad you spent 20 hours on DKC:R, some people have spent more than 100 hours playing Farmville, and that's free. Much better ROI than Oblivion, I can't believe I bought that piece of junk...

I'm just saying, we don't know if Wii rules the genre, because so few (almost none) platformers are released on the HD systems on a Disc. If the game was 500MB, then it would be released as DLC whereas the Wii doesn't even have the choice because it would overfill the on-board memory. Limbo sold 300k copies in its first month, without having to press & ship DVDs. LBP was mentioned in the OP as a multi-million seller. Face it, MS and Sony would never allow NSMB, DKC:R, or Kirby on a Disc and it would be DLC. Less profitable = less marketing = less sales. I'm glad you like Nintendo charging you full price for something that woudl be $15 on XBLM, and apparently a lot of people are willing to pay that price.

What you're basically saying is, because of Mario, DKC, and Kirby, the wii dominates platformers and the HD consoles don't stand a chance. IMO, any Mario, DK, or Kirby game will sell millions because of nostalgia, 2D or 3D. As far as New/Other IP goes, check the posts above for sales and you'll see that there's nothing proving the Wii outperforms sales-wise. For me the problem is 1) ability to get the game on a Disc at full price, as LBP is the only one on the HD systems that comes to mind and 2) advertising for the game, which will only happen if the game gets on a Disc.

MS and Sony would never allow a game to be released on a disc? Are you serious? Of course they would. The problem is that nobody want to release it on disc because it will flop.The other problems is people lmike you who thinks that platofrmers are a sub genre like a minigame when it's a full game at the same title than a FPS, a Action game or a racing game.

You can compare the multi games like Sonic, it sold much better on Wii. LBP is the only success on PS3 and it's because Sony pushed the game like if it was its savior. It still is very far  from Nintendo big hits and it could be outsold by Epic Mickey.

If platformers are not released at retail on HD consoles it's not because Sony or Microsoft does not want, it would be stupid to spit on more money. It's just because it does not sell.

That is the best proof of Wii dominating the genre.

Around the Network

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

-(╬╬http://www.proxy4biz.com╬╬)—

SOCCER JERSEY 16US

oniyide said:

@KungKras  I see says the blind man, now I understand, you missed that whole 16 bit era. I gotcha man. I see where your coming from. I started gaming with nintendo and platformers where a dime a dozen, i played the greats (SOnic, Mario) the not so greats (Aero the acrobat) and everything in between. I see how you would like to want to have more 2d plats, but from my point of view, as a guy who has played a ton of them, im far less excited

Yup, I missed it all, although the last few years, i started getting bored with modern gaming, and started reading up on everything I've missed, and today I own a Megadrive, a SNES, a Dreamcast, and a NES, with tons of games for all of them (among the consoles I got new of course), and have plans on getting a Master System and a Saturn.

Which makes me living proof against the argument that people only like old games because of nostalgia :D

But enough of that.

It's good that you can see why people would want these games then. After all, pure 2D platformers have not been made for almost two decades, which means a LOT of people haven't experienced them.

What surprises me is that you're still tired of those games after all these years. Although I wouldn't mind if most of the generic FPS games of this gen dissapeared forever, so I guess that's what it's like to live through a dominant genre.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Antabus said:
RolStoppable said:
Antabus said:
RolStoppable said:
Antabus said:

Did you just call platformers which can be beaten in 11 minutes full games?

If those platformers in question are outselling what the PS3 and 360 have to offer in the same genre, then that certainly means they are worth their money.

I see. If a 11 min game sells a lot, it is a full game. If a 40h game sells even one copy less, it is not a full game. As long as it is in same genre, very logical. It is all about outselling!

No, man. I said "those platformers in question". Which means if you want to hold your argument up, you will have to go ahead and name all those 11 minutes long games, so we can discuss in detail whether they are full games or not. Additionally, if you want to hold your silly counterargument up, then you'll have to list all those 40 hours long platformers that are available on the PS3 and 360.

So platformers is another case than other games, ok. He was talking about VC games, at least that is what I think. SMB could be beaten in 5 minutes, SMB3 in 11 minutes, SMB 2 in 10 minutes and super mario world in 9 minutes. Megaman games can be beaten in about 30 minutes, sonic 1/2/3 in less than 20 minutes. Zelda 1/2 in 30 minutes.

But none of that matters, since you clearly stated that a complete game requires to sell more than competing console's games on the same genre.

I'd like to see how long time it would take for you to master those games well enough to be able to complete them in those timeframes. You probably wouldn't beat any of those on your first try.

Your sentiment is what's wrong with so many gamers, and games today. Everone expects a streamlined experience that takes a set amount of time to beat, regardless of skill.

But with older games, you are not done after you beat them if you want to get good at them and find secrets, and you can't even beat some of them. (I haven't beaten strider yet for example)

Even in the N64 days, we spoke about where you were in a game, not how many hours we were in it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
oniyide said:

@KungKras  I see says the blind man, now I understand, you missed that whole 16 bit era. I gotcha man. I see where your coming from. I started gaming with nintendo and platformers where a dime a dozen, i played the greats (SOnic, Mario) the not so greats (Aero the acrobat) and everything in between. I see how you would like to want to have more 2d plats, but from my point of view, as a guy who has played a ton of them, im far less excited

Yup, I missed it all, although the last few years, i started getting bored with modern gaming, and started reading up on everything I've missed, and today I own a Megadrive, a SNES, a Dreamcast, and a NES, with tons of games for all of them (among the consoles I got new of course), and have plans on getting a Master System and a Saturn.

Which makes me living proof against the argument that people only like old games because of nostalgia :D

But enough of that.

It's good that you can see why people would want these games then. After all, pure 2D platformers have not been made for almost two decades, which means a LOT of people haven't experienced them.

What surprises me is that you're still tired of those games after all these years. Although I wouldn't mind if most of the generic FPS games of this gen dissapeared forever, so I guess that's what it's like to live through a dominant genre.

Probably because 90% of games from 1985 to 1999 were 2D platformers. 3D might have been the only thing you've played, but 3D games have been around for about 10 years and your sick of them (not 20 like you say). You can't even understand the point it got to where you would see a big budget game and be like 'oh boy, another 2D plat' on a scale where it's 100x more annoying than seeing a shoddy, low-budget FPS today.

FPS saved us from the 'A jumps and B shoots', games we played for 15 straight years. Also, it's more casual in the sense that those are the only two buttons, you don't need to know how to duck, strafe, change weapons, throw a grenade, etc. etc. During the PS2/Xbox era it became so difficult to play games, people felt like you needed a Ph.D. in video gaming just to touch the systems. That's the market the wii got, and so of course there's a lot more of the 2-button games on the system. When a GOOD 2D plat comes out, I'll play it, and the sales for those releases on PS360 show that anyone will buy it

Around the Network
DKHustlin said:

i agree with everything freebs said

also, wii platformers are "50 - 60" they are 50 flat, wii games dont price like HD games do unless they have a pack-in. also, "being phenomenal" isn't some sort of concrete goal. you think LBP is phenomenal, while others think DKCR, SMG, or KEY are phenomenal. regardless, the sales of all the platformers mentioned show that wii rules the genre.

NSMBWii and Galaxy 2 are $60 in Canada. Most 1st party Wii games and 1st party Sony games launch at the same price these days, though Sony actually discounts their games over time.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

...Alright?

Is it safe to post?

Good

Huzzah! Good old Wii!

But, sadly, this was pretty clear without this thread. But I'm sure it's thrown out a few good, well-thought out responses, as well as some chuckles as well!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

bobbert said:
KungKras said:
oniyide said:

But enough of that.

Probably because 90% of games from 1985 to 1999 were 2D platformers. 3D might have been the only thing you've played, but 3D games have been around for about 10 years and your sick of them (not 20 like you say). You can't even understand the point it got to where you would see a big budget game and be like 'oh boy, another 2D plat' on a scale where it's 100x more annoying than seeing a shoddy, low-budget FPS today.

FPS saved us from the 'A jumps and B shoots', games we played for 15 straight years. Also, it's more casual in the sense that those are the only two buttons, you don't need to know how to duck, strafe, change weapons, throw a grenade, etc. etc. During the PS2/Xbox era it became so difficult to play games, people felt like you needed a Ph.D. in video gaming just to touch the systems. That's the market the wii got, and so of course there's a lot more of the 2-button games on the system. When a GOOD 2D plat comes out, I'll play it, and the sales for those releases on PS360 show that anyone will buy it

I don't really get what point you're trying to make. Your comment is a mess. And it seems to be full of revisionism. FPS was a PC genre until this gen, how did it save people from 2D plats? I don't get it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

@kungkras  its like bobbert said thats what you were playing back in those days. it was 90% 2d plats on consoles no FPSs, only SNES got any JRPGs but barely, no FPSs and a couple of fighters. Ive felt that ive played my fair share of 2d plats to last a lifetime. thats why I dont go gaga over NSMB it IMHO it doesnt do anything that differently than the other 10 2d mario games or plats in general ive played over the years. As for FPSs i long for the day when Halo and COD(which i do like) crash under their own weight. its good to see some young gamers appreciate the older games. I get so pissed when these little pukes disregard the old games cause it doesnt look cool

oniyide said:

@kungkras  its like bobbert said thats what you were playing back in those days. it was 90% 2d plats on consoles no FPSs, only SNES got any JRPGs but barely, no FPSs and a couple of fighters. Ive felt that ive played my fair share of 2d plats to last a lifetime. thats why I dont go gaga over NSMB it IMHO it doesnt do anything that differently than the other 10 2d mario games or plats in general ive played over the years. As for FPSs i long for the day when Halo and COD(which i do like) crash under their own weight. its good to see some young gamers appreciate the older games. I get so pissed when these little pukes disregard the old games cause it doesnt look cool

you just sound old and bitter i dont see why you care why young people dont appreciate older stuff, and NSMB doesnt need to do anything different, it just has to be fun (which it is)

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.