By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My family made fun of me because of Kirby: EY

manuel said:
Mr Khan said:

There's a good CS Lewis quote that puts people in their place in these instances, but i forget what it is...

Here you go:

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

C.S. Lewis

Basically you shouldn't care about what people say. If you enjoy it, then that's fine.

THAT!!!

oh how i love C.S. Lewis  =)

push the ignore button, you think anyone here listens to their family when it comes to dictating their hobbies? i dont even listen to my friends when it comes to gaming, they think being a girl gamer is weird, why should i care? i think spending 50 bucks on makeup is weird.

Around the Network

They probably saw what Nintendo did to Kirby with this game.

My parents mock me for watching cartoons such as South Park....saying it is a kid show....I die laughing. 

I am sometimes told that I'm too old to be playing video games at all! Parents always say things like that about things they don't understand or care for. It's just best to ignore it and do what you enjoy.

@OP:

You must learn to live with it, they are right and you are wrong: actually they are perfectly fine with you being an awkward, fluffy kind of otaku, but they mock you only for your good, to avoid you become something terribly worse, like, say, a cat lady or (God forbid!) a pigeon lady.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

There's a good CS Lewis quote that puts people in their place in these instances, but i forget what it is...

This might be the one you're thinking of...

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

My friends do make fun of me for playing Japanese games or games that are a bit on the "kiddy" side. But it's all harmless fun (what the hell do they know? All they play is COD, GTA and PES ). Now, my parents, on the other hand, prefer to watch me play kiddy games (it's all I can play in front of them, anyways). Now if I play a violent game in front of them, they're like "What is all this nonsense! All this blood and gore and mindless murder! This is corruption!" I just laugh it off.

You shouldn't worry about this stuff. That's just insecurity. Just do what you enjoy.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

My mom make fun of me because i play video games.

My dad once called LittleBigPlanet a game for retards. So I gave it to him to play  and he couldn't even jump over a block. I said to him, "I can go find a game for coma patients if this is too hard for you". :P

ghost_of_fazz said:

Last time I checked, family exist only to give you food, shelter and money, not for giving you their opinions :)

Yeah. If they try and make fun of my games I usually attack at their week spot: religion It always shuts them up ^_^ Yeah, its a bit brutal, but how in gods name can I finish Devil May Cry with all their comments?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!