By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My family made fun of me because of Kirby: EY

IxisNaugus said:

Perhaps they're not used to you playing a game with such a colorful art style? Do you normally play cute or colorful games in their presence? Where I am I bump back and forth between games like Forza and Call of Duty for my X360 and games like A Boy and his Blob on my Wii. When my older brother or our cousins see me playing the X360 online they're quick to praise me for playing what they see and men's games but when I'm playing the Wii they can't fathom what kind of enjoyment I could possibly get out of jumping around with a little boy, directing a white blob. I do explain to them that its not hard to look past the cartoon visuals and enjoy a great product if they keep an open mind, like watching a Disney movie, but eh they just can't see it apparently. 

They frequently joke that it's because I play such babyish games that I won't get a girlfriend, even though I constantly inform them that that is not an area of focus for me. Get's really annoying actually. Strangely enough though, they have absolutely no problem with family oriented games like Wii Sports . My brother's daughter got Wii Party as one of her Christmas presents and the whole family had a blast with it after dinner.

That's an interesting take. The most "cutesy" game I had pre-Christmas 2010 is the Wii and Mario series.

Also, sucks about the "men's game" situation. That itself shows their childish side, and I've seen very bad cases of it in real life. :/

Around the Network

tell em to blow it out their ass, Duke Nukem Style

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Some games are just hard to play around people, perhaps Kirby's cuteness makes it one of those. Strangely I never came across the issue with LBP even though that game is abnormally cute for the platform, but that's mostly because the only people around me that would make fun of me are also gamers so they would play the game with me and quickly shut up, I suppose you could try that with one of your family members to see if the inherent fun of the game stops them from deriding it.

Personally I've only really been made fun of by my friends while playing some of the more nichey Japanese games with ridiculous stories like Eternal Sonata (watch the final cut scene to that if you have the time and brain cells to spare one day) and ToS2 or more pervy games like Ar Tonelico 2 because it's just embarrasing when your main character keeps yelling "MAXIMUM PENETRATION" whenever you do his best attack. 

RCTjunkie said:

That's an interesting take. The most "cutesy" game I had pre-Christmas 2010 is the Wii and Mario series.

Also, sucks about the "men's game" situation. That itself shows their childish side, and I've seen very bad cases of it in real life. :/

Don't get me wrong, they're not particularly mean or hurtful about it. They know I've been playing games all my life and they've accepted that I just play whatever I like playing, I suppose they just feel a bit shaky watching me play a game that looks overly simple for someone my age. They don't tell me what I should or shouldn't play - in fact they're the ones to come to me for suggestions and advice for games - they just whine a bit when I play something that looks like it would appeal only to really young children.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll get used to Kirby over-time. You could educate them a bit about how the game plays so they'll understand it a bit better, explain to them that it's not so easy completing levels while holding on to all your gems. If you have an extra Wii Remote you should give them a chance to try it out themselves. Since Mario and Wii family games are all they've seen from you prior, I'm not too surprised by their reaction to Kirby's Epic Yarn. I'm sure if you just inform that it is a great game they'll accept it in no time. 

How technical is your game?

yeah... kiddie...

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:

There's nothing you can do. There's a reason why this game is considered one of the worsts this year.

Ouch! thats kinda harsh, from what I read in gaming websites and magazines KEY actually received pretty good reviews and scores, It is also doing pretty decent sales wise, and back to topic , who cares what the game looks like if its fun play it, man I remember one time watching my little girl cousin she fell asllep and I spent about 1-2 hours playinh her "cooking mama" ds game.

I just laugh when my parents say that. For any video game, matter of fact.

Juma009 said:
SHMUPGurus said:

There's nothing you can do. There's a reason why this game is considered one of the worsts this year.

Ouch! thats kinda harsh, from what I read in gaming websites and magazines KEY actually received pretty good reviews and scores, It is also doing pretty decent sales wise, and back to topic , who cares what the game looks like if its fun play it, man I remember one time watching my little girl cousin she fell asllep and I spent about 1-2 hours playinh her "cooking mama" ds game.

Oh don't mind what I said, I was just referring to what has been talked in this thread.

In all seriousness, RCT, you should only play mature games for mature people (like myself). Like this, no weird family discussions like this will ever be brought up again.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

RCTjunkie said:
Cobra_ said:

Why do you care? Are you that insecure? It's not their business what you like and what you don't.

You are right. I wouldn't mind it from anyone else, even my friends. But there's something about my family that makes me try to win them over. Maybe I should just move my video games to my room.

Might be best. I did this years ago back when I was starting high school. Not that I think family was being mean just that they can be incredibly inconsiderate. It's pure ignorance in the end. So instead of having to deal with it, getting made and saying something I might regret I just removed myself from the situation when it came to play games. It's why I till this day don't put my systems on a TV or in room that is shared by others. I used to have my systems in my room but not I have them in a game room that I'm pretty much the only one that goes into. When I finally have my own house I'll continue to do the same thing. It's easier and less of stress then having to do deal with situations like this.

It coming from family does make it worse compared to it just coming from friends I agree.

If they ask why you are moving the system just be honest. You don't like being made fun of the way you were. So to stop it from happening you are just moving the games to your room so you can play in private. So no one else has to see the games you like or play. Don't act upset about it or anything either. Just be calm and honest about it.

Torillian said:

Personally I've only really been made fun of by my friends while playing some of the more nichey Japanese games with ridiculous stories like Eternal Sonata (watch the final cut scene to that if you have the time and brain cells to spare one day) and ToS2 or more pervy games like Ar Tonelico 2 because it's just embarrasing when your main character keeps yelling "MAXIMUM PENETRATION" whenever you do his best attack. 

I actually find spectator response to JRPG's hilarious, going by my personal experiences. I finished Lost Odyssey recently and numerous members of my family have caught a few gameplay and cut-scenes. I remember one of my sisters asked me oh my god what the hell is she wearing? when she took a good look at one of the characters (Ming). Another one I can't forget is when my brother watched a cut-scene with me and after it had finished he asked me about the woman with the glasses; I told him that was Sarah, Kaim's wife. He said to me that Kaim had done well for himself, because Sarah had absolutely massive tits

Sometimes people can get the wrong idea though. When my mother walked in while I was in a hot-spring scene while playing Muramasa, she immediately noticed Momohime with only her towel and just looked at me with a questioning expression. It was still really really funny, though.

How technical is your game?